TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Floridians, what's best for love bugs?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Jrogville, Jan 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Thinking about paint protection in general, but what about the love bug problem here in central Florida? What's best for those harmful critters?

2. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

Condoms? Sorry, not a Floridian

3. Ormond

Ormond Member

I don't have paint protection on my Model X, but I try to keep some wax on the front and wipe off any love bugs immediately.

4. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Do not let them bake on in the sun for any length of time. I'm pretty sure their guts are made of acid and combined with the UV rays of the sun will impregnate themselves in to and permanently mar the clear coat. Wretched little bugs - worse than any others I've encountered (they are plentiful in South Louisiana and South Texas as well).

As @Ormond said, I have found a good coat of wax or better yet synthetic paint protection (lasts longer than wax) and get them off as quickly as possible.

5. Ormond

Ormond Member

I keep some detail spray and a microfiber towel in my frunk. If you have a dark colored car, it's even more important to clean off the bugs quickly.

• Like x 1
  6. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I clean them off at every Supercharger stop.

• Like x 1
  7. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I clean them off at every stop. I use detail spray and a microfiber cloth. I do have a clear bra, so they come off easily. I NEVER allow them to stay on when I stop the car. Luckily that is not a year around problem.

8. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Usually a few weeks in May and September (at least in Louisiana).

A little love bug history for those interested (they're not even a native species to the states):

Love bugs are not the result of a genetic cloning experiment gone wrong, nor were they unwittingly loosed from a research facility charged with studying exotic insects. They also weren't bio-engineered as a natural solution to the mosquito problem. (Love bugs do not eat mosquitoes: the adults do not eat at all, and larvae feed on decaying plant material.) These overly amorous critters are native to Central America; the best guess as to how they came to these United States places them as undiscovered stowaways who arrived by ship in Galveston or New Orleans around 1920. They migrated into Florida in 1947 from Louisiana, looked around, liked what they saw, and decided to stay. Their natural capacity for reproduction took care of the rest.

Were Love Bugs Created by a Genetic Experiment Gone Wrong?

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1