Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flufferbot, 'Hollowgate' and the hollow floor noise

Do you have the hollow sound?

• No and my car's pre May 2018

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • No and my cars post May 2018

Votes: 15 8.1%
  • Yes and my car's pre May 2018

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Yes and my car's post May 2018

Votes: 154 82.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this when my kids were banging their feet on the floor saying it felt like a "bass drum" - serious!
Yeah, similar story here. Every time the kids drop their darn shoes/water bottle/whatever in the back, I generally jump at the noise and ask "WTF was that?" I'm getting more used to it now, and had just chalked it up to having a big battery under the passenger compartment, figuring it was normal. I'll definitely be hitting up the service center for a fix.

Yeah, similar story here. Every time the kids drop their darn shoes/water bottle/whatever in the back, I generally jump at the noise and ask "WTF was that?" I'm getting more used to it now, and had just chalked it up to having a big battery under the passenger compartment, figuring it was normal. I'll definitely be hitting up the service center for a fix.
Please let us know how it goes with Service center fix.

Reactions: SION1771
VIN 117xxx and hollow from driver side to passenger. So I'm assuming from what folks have heard on this thread is that they drop the battery and glue sound deadening material to the hollow areas?

I'm curious how much more road noise this hollow area is bringing into cabin. Why the engineers thought this was acceptable is beyond me (except to speed production and hope only a few notice and complain for a fix). Sounds like a tin can. Anyway, also curious if related to this:

P3D+ Sheet metal pop sound

I have this issue a few times as well and it may be the same problem area.

Mine is hollow/tin sounding from side to side on the rear floor board. I guess I will bring it up to service. Sounds terribly cheap and definitely seems like it would be a source for cabin noise.

Man, this new model stuff is a bit for the birds. Still love the 3, just wish they would have built the car with all the parts the first time...

SC said my car is not affected.

"On some model 3 vehicles, the 2nd row floor footwell might make a muffled thud or pop noise when a passenger steps on the affected areas."

When my son jumped in excitement a few times while in the drop off line for preschool, it definitely made a very concerning sound. I actually yelled at my son due to the sound it made. I guess it's not a big deal and sounds like a very extensive fix.

Man, this new model stuff is a bit for the birds. Still love the 3, just wish they would have built the car with all the parts the first time...

That's every new production model, ever. Even the first batches of Accords and Camrys each model cycle have abnormally high issues (it's all relative, of course). Consumer Reports always discourages getting the first new model year of a car.

Reactions: Jedi2155
That's every new production model, ever. Even the first batches of Accords and Camrys each model cycle have abnormally high issues (it's all relative, of course). Consumer Reports always discourages getting the first new model year of a car.

I guess, there just seems to be an awful lot of issues with this car, or at least mine seems to have it's fair share with only 1K miles. I probably wouldn't do it again being several hours away from service. If I had one in my backyard, I guess I wouldn't care so much.

My car which I just picked up last Thursday, 11/8 has the hollow tinny thunk noise when even gently knocking on the floor in the middle of the rear foot area. Door jamb is 11/18 date for production.

If the whole battery has to come out to address this I'll have to research more if I am going to pursue a fix. Not sure how big of a deal that really is or not without looking at schematics. Right now I'm going to wait to get my Maxpider floor mats which won't come until late December to see if they dampen impacts and the noise enough.

I guess, there just seems to be an awful lot of issues with this car, or at least mine seems to have it's fair share with only 1K miles. I probably wouldn't do it again being several hours away from service. If I had one in my backyard, I guess I wouldn't care so much.

Murphy's law - we're a couple miles from the service center and have a short list of issues we haven't felt are bad enough to get addressed.

@hokiewalrus - can you please see if you can confirm if the battery really does need to get removed to resolve this issue? i appreciate it.

I just dropped the car off at Tesla, didn’t ask them explicitly if they have to drop the battery to fix this, but they implied it.

The tech had me recreate the noise and said it was a known Tesla issue and that they add structural support to the floor to fix it. They did tell me that the Model 3 has thinner floors than the S or the X.

I’ll report back when I get the car and know the full story

Reactions: SION1771