Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fluid has appeared around edges of main display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main display in my 2016 Model S has some sort of fluid creeping into it around the edges. It can be seen in the attached photo. Anyone know anything about this? Common problem? Any experience with repair difficulty and/or cost? I'd like to get some insight before contacting service. TIA.
Display problem.jpg

The glue which bonds the glass and the panel together is failing. A new display is needed. Unfortunately that might be expensive from Tesla because it isn't a dumb display. Swapping just the display might be possible as a diy project

Not simple but possible.

Replacing instrument cluster

Tesla will likely want $1000+ to change this display out. If I were you, in a 2016 MS I would seriously consider putting that money towards upgrading the entire MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500. If you haven't yet had problems with your MCU (the big center display), it will be coming, and that's another $1400 to replace with another destined to fail MCU1. Upgrade to MCU2 (which replaces the instrument cluster display as well), and you will be good for the remaining life of the car.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Tesla will likely want $1000+ to change this display out. If I were you, in a 2016 MS I would seriously consider putting that money towards upgrading the entire MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500. If you haven't yet had problems with your MCU (the big center display), it will be coming, and that's another $1400 to replace with another destined to fail MCU1. Upgrade to MCU2 (which replaces the instrument cluster display as well), and you will be good for the remaining life of the car.

I agree with this. Seeing as the MCU replacement/upgrade includes both the main screen and the instrument cluster, it might make sense to pay the $2500 for the MCU2 (and new IC).