Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fluke brake light condensation fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed a bit of intermittent condensation in both the brake lights a week after getting the car. As it’s a known issue I wasn’t in a rush to get it sorted.

After its first wash I decided to protect some of the trim by spraying a motorbike protectant spray that I use on my bike after washing (muc off bike protect). It’s a ptfe based water repellant and lubricating spray that can be used on the whole bike (except the brakes)

So I sprayed on and wiped off a light film over & around the rear lights. 3 weeks on and no condensation despite some very damp conditions.

I imagine a touch of wd40 might do the same thing....

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and H Mak
Noticed a bit of intermittent condensation in booth the brake lights a week after getting the car. As it’s a known issue I wasn’t in a rush to get it sorted.

After its first wash I decided to protect some of the trim by spraying a motorbike protectant spray that I use on my bike after washing (muc off bike protect). It’s a ptfe based water repellant and lubricating spray that can be used on the whole bike (except the brakes)

So I sprayed on and wiped off a light film over & around the rear lights. 3 weeks on and no condensation despite some very damp conditions.

Perhaps, but it would be very hard to say for sure if what you did had any effect or if the lights have "cured" themselves. The reason I say this is that my car had some condensation in the lights shortly after I got it last year but resolved by itself. It then went through an entire winter without showing the issue again. Up until now (car nearly 15 months) the condensation has shown itself only twice and resolved within 24hrs each time. Perhaps surprisingly the times when it appeared were not during wet weather. It seems to be a particular combination of temperature and dew point. The lights have some designed ability to breath but this is clearly faulty in some of them so they never clear. I think mine are actually behaving in the way they are designed and are able to clear the very occasional condensation without intervention.

We had awful issues with condensation last autumn, winter, spring. They got a good chance to thoroughly dry out this May/June. Its still early days and due to much reduced use, I'm not looking very often, but it does seem dramatically better this year on the few occasions that I have checked - partial misting at top of outer units rather than full on water droplets, nothing on inner units that I have noticed - they were the worse.

Last edited:
Noticed a bit of intermittent condensation in both the brake lights a week after getting the car. As it’s a known issue I wasn’t in a rush to get it sorted.

It makes sense that a water dispersant such as WD-40 would prevent fogging. However, I wonder if there could be long term damage to the plastics by spraying a volatile oil-based solution in there? I believe that its not recommended to use WD-40 on polystyrene or polycarbonate.
An anti-fogging solution aimed at motorcycle visors might be a better option. Bike helmets contain polystyrene as the impact adsorption layer so any product used on a bike helmet will not be aggressive to plastics.