TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fluorescent Headlight "Eyebrow" Dying

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SSonnentag, May 17, 2019 at 10:04 AM.

1. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

My 12/2017 Model S has a dimming/browning highlight. Is this a common issue? My search didn't turn up much other than retrofit headlight sales. Would this be a warranty issue? I'm sitting at just under 49,000 miles.

Right Headlight.jpg

2. Silicon Desert

Confused here. Die or Dye? Are you saying there is some sort of Dye in the eyebrow part? Or is it that this portion of the LED is getting dim and yellow? If LED failing, I would guess a warranty issue.

Oh and it is not Fluorescent lighting. They are LED.

3. MiamiDubai

MiamiDubai Member

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Browncoat

Browncoat Member

Both of my headlights in my July 2018 P100D were recently replaced under warranty for this early failure.

5. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Are you sure they are LED?

On the Model X they are EL-Tape (electroluminescent), which is not LED, but phosphor-based. This is how the continuous lit look is achieved. It is not LEDs with a diffusor in front of it. (source: Tesla technician).

I think on older Model S it was LEDs + diffusor, but I was under the impression that newer models use the same EL-tape the X uses.

• Like x 2
  6. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

I've had the same one replaced twice for this issue -- the first time under the car warranty and the second time, after the car warranty expired but there is a warranty on the part/repair.

• Like x 1