Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flying Smart Summon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I got MCU2/HW3 and side camera upgrades a couple of weeks ago. I've tried smart summon three times since and two out of the three the car has flown down the parking lot. Worse, both times I had to stop summon as the car was about to get into an accident.

The first time, as the car was almost in front of me, it decided to turn right and fly into a parking spot head on. I immediately lifted my finger off the phone and aborted summon. The strange thing is that the app said to "autopark aborted."

Today, the car started coming to me (same parking lot) on the wrong side of the way (the parking lot at my office has arrows marking direction) and almost ran into a minivan that was sticking out of it's parking spot. I aborted because my car got too close. When I restarted, the car saw the minivan and went around it. But still, I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't aborted summon.

I've read some threads about cameras needing calibration but the threads I've read say summon will say something like "function not available."

I know smart summon is beta (and it's not perfect), but I'm wondering if there is any way to re-calibrate the cameras? Maybe set summon speed to a little bit slower?

Jose

I also support your concern. One of the members of this forum once told the story about smart summoning his model X from the back of a restaurant parking lot when he was waiting in the front and the car was unobserved. He was lucky, the car made it, but my experience has not been so confident. Mine kind of weaves and waves like a blind drunken sailor (which I guess the poor car is, with its limited vision and sensor ability)- I always observe it and when it starts heading into danger, I have to stop it early.

It is still Beta. Play with it at your own risk.

That’s all odd There is a recalibrate cameras button in the ‘service?’ Menu. Did the service center mention if they recalibrated when they did the FSD computer upgrade and camera install? I’ve seen a couple posts here where people said it was required. My upgrade was just done as well, minus cameras, and they didn’t mention any re-calibration. It doesn’t look like they drove it enough to re-calibrate either, but it’s hard to tell.

Hi @Kentucky3 ,

I'm not sure what those part numbers @Baxterdown / Jose listed were... Maybe Model 3 in black???

The numbers I have seen for my 2018 Model X are:

MS/MX Lamp ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH) 1125106-00-E

MS/MX Lamp ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH) 1125107-00-E

I have the right hand one on order now.
The price given looks good at $130

My left camera was replaced in a rodent chewed the wires incident.
I notice that the left camera gives a marginally better picture than the right one.
For $130 I am going to replace the right one and sell the removed one on eBay.

Good luck,

Shawn

Reactions: KentuckyX
I haven't tried it since 16.2 in my 2020 MX... but I can say it's been wonky - it works but I think it might go too fast, and too many people notice and freak out, in a good way. With 16.2 I have noticed that coming off of the freeway that the MX will now go all the way down the ramp and into the correct lane (one example was 6 lanes - 2 left, 2 center, 2 right - with turn signals - if I'm supposed to turn right, it gets me in the right lane and stops at the intersection, ready to turn... just pull the control stick to confirm and it kept going down the road. Pretty incredible. Before it just gave the 'autopilot ending' chime and I'd have to figure out the lane, etc.

Hi everyone,

I got MCU2/HW3 and side camera upgrades a couple of weeks ago. I've tried smart summon three times since and two out of the three the car has flown down the parking lot. Worse, both times I had to stop summon as the car was about to get into an accident.

The first time, as the car was almost in front of me, it decided to turn right and fly into a parking spot head on. I immediately lifted my finger off the phone and aborted summon. The strange thing is that the app said to "autopark aborted."

Today, the car started coming to me (same parking lot) on the wrong side of the way (the parking lot at my office has arrows marking direction) and almost ran into a minivan that was sticking out of it's parking spot. I aborted because my car got too close. When I restarted, the car saw the minivan and went around it. But still, I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't aborted summon.

I've read some threads about cameras needing calibration but the threads I've read say summon will say something like "function not available."

I know smart summon is beta (and it's not perfect), but I'm wondering if there is any way to re-calibrate the cameras? Maybe set summon speed to a little bit slower?

Jose
I hope the camera calibration works.
Meanwhile, here's what Summon is good for: You enter a parking space with those concrete "curbs" that can damage your front fascia if you drive over it. You stop a very safe distance from the concrete barrier, get out, walk to the front of the car, and use Summon to bring the car to within a reasonable distance of it. Summon is good for nothing else that I've found.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Hi @Bob Denny ,

With a 2020 car and FSD - You already have MCU2 which is the main screen and faster computer than MCU1.
MCU2 started in March 2018 for Model X.
The HW3 or HW3.0 was the new FSD computer and it was installed in new cars in latter 2019...
All earlier cars that had HW2.0 or HW2.5 had to have the computer upgraded to HW3.0 for FSD capability...
Some people refer to the HW3.0 upgrade as a "chip" - It is not a chip, but a robust dual computer installed
behind your glove box...
You have all of the goodies currently available...

Hi @pjason84 ,

If you have AP1 that cannot be upgraded, so the MCU2 is all that is left to upgrade...
It is a good upgrade...

If you have AP2.0 and if you are interested in FSD, you will want to upgrade to HW3.0 - New computer for FSD
and you will want to upgrade to MCU2 for TeslaCam functionality...

Good luck,

Shawn

There is really only one way to safely use smart summons, and that's from the drivers seat.

Sure it defeats the purpose, but its a great way to test it.
Sometimes when I have tried to use it, the path it draws out makes no sense at all, like I’m at the end of this row, why are you drawing a map to take it over 2 rows and completely around the parking lot, I wish we could go in an draw the correct pathmit should follow

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
The first time I used Smart Summon, I was impressed. It backed out of my parking spot into a 2-point turn, then down a long driveway to where I was standing... almost flawless. Since then I've toyed with it about 6 times, and *every* time it was like a drunken teenager. Things like crossing the lane lines in parking lots, driving back and forth many times for no reason, and stopping *far* from where I summoned it to.

That said, I could never use the word *fly* to describe any of it. More like... *crawl*. Smart Summon moves like a literal snail... it must be like 3 mph.

Reactions: Hugh-SG and mbp11