Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flying Smart Summon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I got MCU2/HW3 and side camera upgrades a couple of weeks ago. I've tried smart summon three times since and two out of the three the car has flown down the parking lot. Worse, both times I had to stop summon as the car was about to get into an accident.

The first time, as the car was almost in front of me, it decided to turn right and fly into a parking spot head on. I immediately lifted my finger off the phone and aborted summon. The strange thing is that the app said to "autopark aborted."

Today, the car started coming to me (same parking lot) on the wrong side of the way (the parking lot at my office has arrows marking direction) and almost ran into a minivan that was sticking out of it's parking spot. I aborted because my car got too close. When I restarted, the car saw the minivan and went around it. But still, I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't aborted summon.

I've read some threads about cameras needing calibration but the threads I've read say summon will say something like "function not available."

I know smart summon is beta (and it's not perfect), but I'm wondering if there is any way to re-calibrate the cameras? Maybe set summon speed to a little bit slower?

Jose
The appropriate phrase to describe FSD is “a bit hit and miss”, with the emphasis on the word “hit”. I have it on my late 2017 Model X. However, after more than 3 years of waiting and broken promises I’m not planning on ordering FSD again with any new Tesla I buy. The adaptive cruise, self parking, lane keeping and changing are useful but FSD has attempted to kill me once too often. See: Watch Tesla’s Full Self-Driving Mode Steer Toward Oncoming Highway Traffic . Great cars in most respects, but Musk needs to stop pretending they can self drive. It’s a marijuana induced pipe dream.

Last edited:
Sometimes when I have tried to use it, the path it draws out makes no sense at all, like I’m at the end of this row, why are you drawing a map to take it over 2 rows and completely around the parking lot, I wish we could go in an draw the correct pathmit should follow

Yeah, that's a great way to sanity check it before even attempting to let it try.

I was able to improve it by fixing the parking lot in OpenStreetmaps, but smart summon still failed often enough in the same parking lot to consider it a colossal failure.

I’ve got a 2016 MX I don’t think there is much upgrades for us earlier adopters other than the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade. If I’m wrong someone let me know.

I also have 2016-11 MX, which means I have the 8 Cameras (2 each side, 1 in the tail, 3 in the front), and it came with Full FSD paid for.

Last year I got an email to come in for a Free Upgrade to Full FSD computer.

So if your build date in 2016 is November, December, and you got it with FSD option, they should have called you in by now for new computer.

The appropriate phrase to describe FSD is “a bit hit and miss”, with the emphasis on the word “hit”. I have it on my late 2017 Model X. However, after more than 3 years of waiting and broken promises I’m not planning on ordering FSD again with any new Tesla I buy. The adaptive cruise, self parking, lane keeping and changing are useful but FSD has attempted to kill me once too often. See: Watch Tesla’s Full Self-Driving Mode Steer Toward Oncoming Highway Traffic . Great cars in most respects, but Musk needs to stop pretending they can self drive. It’s a marijuana induced pipe dream.

You have to keep in mind, to use FSD, you have to Click to acknowledge that you are accepting a Beta feature that is still in developement.

FSD is currently like an 8 year old child in Grade 3. It thinks is knows everything, but it needs Constant Adult supervision at all times.

I use my FSD in Vancouver's chaotic traffic all the time. 98% of the time it functions flawlessly, but it occasionally does something stupid and you have to intervene.

... and with each intervention the car learns and reports it Tesla.

That said, from reports I have read in here from others about other car brands that are attempting to put out FSD, Tesla is at least 10 years ahead of the competition.

At night its forward looking Radar can detect wild life on the highway long before you see it your self or a LIDAR like system will detect it.

Food for thought.

I play with Smart Summon regularly, but only when the parking lot at the supermarket is fairly quiet. I do watch out for pedestrians as they will do the unpredictable.

But is it worth the effort and patience to watch their goggle eyed reaction to a Driverless car going past them and pulling up at the supermarket front door where my wife is awaiting to load the groceries, under cover, out of the rain.

Reactions: PrGrPa
So what would you pay for the assisted driving Tesla provides currently. Is your only issue that Musk's statements don't align with capability? Or, you are not getting your value for the cost? I would argue that the cost for what you get is in alignment with the industry for assisted driving upgrades. I know on GM vehicles, the only way to get the assisted driving features is to upgrade to their near highest packages then pay an additional premium to get it. So, you could easily pay 10k+ just to have the option of the assisted driving in addition to the actual option cost. I am very happy with the 8K purchase I made based on the capabilities and conveniences delivered. I have made several cross country trips. The trips were driving at a 95%+ on AP. Driving fatigue is a non-issue. That in itself is worth the cost.

Reactions: PrGrPa and mbp11
So what would you pay for the assisted driving Tesla provides currently. Is your only issue that Musk's statements don't align with capability? Or, you are not getting your value for the cost? I would argue that the cost for what you get is in alignment with the industry for assisted driving upgrades. I know on GM vehicles, the only way to get the assisted driving features is to upgrade to their near highest packages then pay an additional premium to get it. So, you could easily pay 10k+ just to have the option of the assisted driving in addition to the actual option cost. I am very happy with the 8K purchase I made based on the capabilities and conveniences delivered. I have made several cross country trips. The trips were driving at a 95%+ on AP. Driving fatigue is a non-issue. That in itself is worth the cost.

What Tesla currently provides really falls into Enhanced Autopilot that they sold for $5K. At $5K it likely competes pretty well price wise with SuperCruise on the Chevy Bolt EUV.

"Super Cruise comes standard on Launch Edition models ($43,495) and it's optional on Premier models (adding $2,200 to the $38,495 base price). That makes a Bolt EUV with Super Cruise $8,495 less expensive than the cheapest Tesla with Autopilot and $17,775 less than the cheapest Cadillac (CT5) with Super Cruise."

If I was purely looking at it from a perspective of highway driver assist features I'd rank both the Bolt EUV with Supercruise, and the Ford Mustang Mach-E's upcoming hands free driver assist higher than the Tesla's AP/NoA feature.

Advantage 1 -> No worrying about the nag. For me the torque sensor is really annoying on my Model 3 where it requires more force than what my Model S did. I also see other people complaining about the torque sensor not detecting their hands.

Advantage 2 -> My expectation is solid functionality on roads its been approved for. I also expect it not to have much phantom braking. It's just going to do what it does, and it will stay out of the way.

Disadvantage -> It only works on roads its been mapped for. So it's more limited, but generally I only use AP on major freeways so this limitation doesn't impact me much.

Neither vehicle is available yet with their hands free mode so Tesla still has a bit of time to improve NoA to where it can better compete with all the new hands free rivals.

What Tesla currently provides really falls into Enhanced Autopilot that they sold for $5K. At $5K it likely competes pretty well price wise with SuperCruise on the Chevy Bolt EUV.
You should not disregard stop sign and stop light functions which adds to capabilities beyond EAP.
Advantage 1 -> No worrying about the nag. For me the torque sensor is really annoying on my Model 3 where it requires more force than what my Model S did. I also see other people complaining about the torque sensor not detecting their hands.
Resting your hand at the bottom of the wheel not only keeps the nag from appearing, my hand resting also provides an extra sensing measure for auto steer. If I sense that the wheel is not responding appropriately, I can immediately take over. I have not experienced any of the issues you mentioned and is certainly not annoying.
Advantage 2 -> My expectation is solid functionality on roads its been approved for. I also expect it not to have much phantom braking. It's just going to do what it does, and it will stay out of the way.
I would challenge you that AP is solid functionally more often then super cruise is allowed to operate. I just came back from a 700 mile highway road trip all on NOA with 0 disengagements, phantom braking, issues in general. Where NOA/AP struggles are in scenarios that super cruise wouldn't even dream of operating; construction zones, lane shifts, really any situation where the roads were altered. AP handles those situations really well with added attention by the driver.
Disadvantage -> It only works on roads its been mapped for. So it's more limited, but generally I only use AP on major freeways so this limitation doesn't impact me much.
This is an extreme disadvantage. It would really be annoying when most of my trip is not mapped for use. This in itself would make the cost not comparable.

You don't always have to force the wheel; moving or changing any button or setting on the wheel or stalk will calm and reset the nag. While you may roll your eyes and say it's just the same as yanking on the wheel, I've had to replace an Intermediate Upper Steering Shaft Link. The service center couldn't explain why this part failed, but I think the possibility exists that it could be due to the number of times I have had to put unnatural force upon the steering system (every ~28 secs during a 400 mile drive, for instance). Maybe so, maybe not. Luckily, the car is still under warranty. But that won't be for much longer. I've learned to keep my hands on or near the wheel and just notch the AP lever or the right scroll wheel down once to stop the nag.

You should not disregard stop sign and stop light functions which adds to capabilities beyond EAP.

Resting your hand at the bottom of the wheel not only keeps the nag from appearing, my hand resting also provides an extra sensing measure for auto steer. If I sense that the wheel is not responding appropriately, I can immediately take over. I have not experienced any of the issues you mentioned and is certainly not annoying.

I would challenge you that AP is solid functionally more often then super cruise is allowed to operate. I just came back from a 700 mile highway road trip all on NOA with 0 disengagements, phantom braking, issues in general. Where NOA/AP struggles are in scenarios that super cruise wouldn't even dream of operating; construction zones, lane shifts, really any situation where the roads were altered. AP handles those situations really well with added attention by the driver.

This is an extreme disadvantage. It would really be annoying when most of my trip is not mapped for use. This in itself would make the cost not comparable.

Traffic light and sign response will be really useful once Tesla adds unconfirmed go on green for stop lights, and go from stop signs. I don't expect to see that happen until FSD beta is released. I don't currently use it because its too prone to false detections, and so it adds to phantom braking.

What I find really frustrating with AP is just how mixed the results are. Where 5 people will have 5 different experiences.

With the Model S I didn't have any frustrating with the nag. Sure I didn't like it, but I wasn't frustrated with it. It was quite easy to find a comfortable yet safe position to have my hand(s). On the Model 3 I really haven't, and I've tried the commonly suggested hand at the bottom.

With TACC/AP I get rather random phantom braking. For awhile there it seemed to be caused by large semi's in the lane next to me. It was to the point where I preferred my Jeep Wrangler Adaptive Cruise control over the Tesla TACC. For awhile it seemed like the events were reduced or lessened in severity (they were never major events, but enough to cause annoyance).

NoA could be made a lot better if they simply allowed users to report glitch points. If I drive north from my house there aren't that many glitchy areas, but if I drive south (or north back to my house) I find numerous points where NoA has issues. This is even ignoring all the construction going on in Tacoma.

Most of my miles are on major highways which are all mapped. So I'd be really surprised to run into any issues with a hands free system like Supercruise.

Now I'm not switching anytime soon as I'm holding out hope for improvements with FSD beta, but competition is heating up. In fact I think FSD is really what's pushing the competition on both pricing, and capability. So people will be able to use Supercruise without having to wear a gold chain. :)

• Informative
Reactions: mbp11
Hi everyone,

I got MCU2/HW3 and side camera upgrades a couple of weeks ago. I've tried smart summon three times since and two out of the three the car has flown down the parking lot. Worse, both times I had to stop summon as the car was about to get into an accident.

I know smart summon is beta (and it's not perfect), but I'm wondering if there is any way to re-calibrate the cameras? Maybe set summon speed to a little bit slower?

Jose
How fast? Ive tried the SS several times, it was painfully slow....had a chance to impess a bunch of people last week during a rain storm, and it failed, had to abort before it drove into a parked car...but it was exciting to everyone watching.

I want to play, but haven't sprung for FSD option yet...

Did you try the camera re-cal? I'm guessing it didn't change the behavior if so? Then there must be some difference with the cameras that needs to be configured (probably by Tesla service?)

I've seen some comments that people also swapped out he front triple cam, but not sure what the car uses to decide how fast to go. Since the major complaint I read about Smart Summon is how slow it is, maybe being fast is a perk!

I want to play, but haven't sprung for FSD option yet...

Did you try the camera re-cal? I'm guessing it didn't change the behavior if so? Then there must be some difference with the cameras that needs to be configured (probably by Tesla service?)

I've seen some comments that people also swapped out he front triple cam, but not sure what the car uses to decide how fast to go. Since the major complaint I read about Smart Summon is how slow it is, maybe being fast is a perk!
Do you have EAP? Im not sure but it could be in there....in fact im sure bc I did try the summon before getting FSD....do you have the phone app? Is it on there?