Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flying Tesla vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, when will we have our flying cars? Now we have smart summon, which is pretty crazy. I tried it in an empty parking lot since it's new, but it actually worked.

But will we have flying Model 3s in the future? Like something that flies similar to a DJI drone because those things are very easy to fly. I just wish they can put that same technology in a vehicle that can carry people. I likely could pilot a vehicle that operated exactly like a DJI drone and won't have to take any pilot lessons.

But what is preventing flying consumer cars that operate the same way as a drone? I feel Tesla could make it happen if smart summon and autopilot are a reality. Elon Musk just has to collaborate with DJI and get them to create a Model 3 that can fly like a drone.

It should be possible, just gotta build a bigger version of a DJI drone into a body of a Tesla 3.

I saw tons of prototypes at CES. Have they even proved it could work yet?

• Funny
Reactions: go2realize
So, when will we have our flying cars? Now we have smart summon, which is pretty crazy. I tried it in an empty parking lot since it's new, but it actually worked.

But will we have flying Model 3s in the future? Like something that flies similar to a DJI drone because those things are very easy to fly. I just wish they can put that same technology in a vehicle that can carry people. I likely could pilot a vehicle that operated exactly like a DJI drone and won't have to take any pilot lessons.

But what is preventing flying consumer cars that operate the same way as a drone? I feel Tesla could make it happen if smart summon and autopilot are a reality. Elon Musk just has to collaborate with DJI and get them to create a Model 3 that can fly like a drone.

It should be possible, just gotta build a bigger version of a DJI drone into a body of a Tesla 3.

Musk thinks flying cars are stupid and unsafe. that's why he's doing Boring Company.

Flying cars - from an engineering perspective would not be that difficult if there was demand for them. There isn't, nor will there be any time soon.

Want to drive a car? Go to your local DMV, read a pamphlet, take a written test, optionally take a road test, hand over whatever nonsense paperwork the DMV wants this week (utility bill, etc) and BAM - you can drive. Overall cost? Essentially free.

Want to fly a plane? Expect to spend a year or two with an instructor. You'll have to learn a ton of information and pass a much more comprehensive test with the FAA at the end. Cost can easily push $10k. This gets you the ability to fly visually (VFR). If you want to fly in the clouds/any weather that isn't perfect, expect even MORE work to get instrument certified (IFR).

Flying cars - from an engineering perspective would not be that difficult if there was demand for them. There isn't, nor will there be any time soon.

Want to drive a car? Go to your local DMV, read a pamphlet, take a written test, optionally take a road test, hand over whatever nonsense paperwork the DMV wants this week (utility bill, etc) and BAM - you can drive. Overall cost? Essentially free.

Want to fly a plane? Expect to spend a year or two with an instructor. You'll have to learn a ton of information and pass a much more comprehensive test with the FAA at the end. Cost can easily push $10k. This gets you the ability to fly visually (VFR). If you want to fly in the clouds/any weather that isn't perfect, expect even MORE work to get instrument certified (IFR).

I've seen some prototypes of flying cars that claim that they don't require a license because they are so easy to fly and so automated. Clearly, flying cars won't work if people need to complete rigorous and expensive flying lessons. The only way they can work is if they are completely autonomous so that the owners don't need to do anything.

I've seen some prototypes of flying cars that claim that they don't require a license because they are so easy to fly and so automated. Clearly, flying cars won't work if people need to complete rigorous and expensive flying lessons. The only way they can work is if they are completely autonomous so that the owners don't need to do anything.

Boeing debacle aside, I'm pretty sure the FAA has had a pretty good chuckle looking at those claims.

Edit: I'm sure the technology exists, most commercial planes are highly automated - I just don't think there is any appetite from regulators to allow the skies to fill up with flying cars.

I was a mechanic for a few years. It was rather common for cars to get towed in with the only issue is they ran out of fuel. Running out of fuel on a road is bad enough running out of fuel at 10,000 feet is a bit more serious. Flying cars are not going to happen any time soon.

Reactions: McCaesar
Even if flying a car were dead simple to fly, consider this - it seems an alarming number of folks can't avoid crashing when only dealing with x & y dimensions, now imagine adding z

The comment about the driver doing nothing really has to be the 100% truth: car lifts off, finds the appropriate flight path and does every single bit of the nav and piloting until the device is at destination and parked.. hopefully while in communication with all the other flying gizmos so they don't bump into each other under unforeseen conditions

Anyway, I wouldn't fly one in a situation other than the above constraints..

I've posted this one before but...

The Flying Car

Musk thinks flying cars are stupid and unsafe. that's why he's doing Boring Company.

There are people that think automated driving cars are unsafe. Especially with the news trying to find accidents caused by autopilot or mostly the sleeping people on autopilot.

I thought someone like Musk would embrace new ideas instead of calling them stupid or unsafe. Especially that he pursued making a car that many people had doubts on.

Elon Musk says flying cars aren't a good fix for traffic — here's why

There are people that think automated driving cars are unsafe. Especially with the news trying to find accidents caused by autopilot or mostly the sleeping people on autopilot.

I thought someone like Musk would embrace new ideas instead of calling them stupid or unsafe. Especially that he pursued making a car that many people had doubts on.

Elon Musk says flying cars aren't a good fix for traffic — here's why

There's a difference between embracing good new ideas and embracing bad new ideas. He also poopoos hydrogen fuel cells for example.