TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

flywheels to balance the grid

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by doug, Jun 17, 2008.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

2. doug

#2 doug, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
    One megawatt of grid storage, 10 big flywheels | Green Tech - CNET News.com
    [​IMG]

3. doug

Mass. company’s spinning flywheels to store, pace electric energy and make grid greener

4. johnr

johnr Member

Interesting stuff. In the quest to improve the reliability and efficiency of the electrical grid, and reduce its environmental impact, it seems these flywheels will be a big help - but I'm sure this is something that's typically overlooked by those of us who are not in-the-know. Thanks for sharing, Doug.

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

This isn't that new an idea. One of the datacentre sites that I evaluated for our current project was using flywheels as UPSs. It sounds like this company has refined the technology a little, though.

This shows that some datacentres have installations that are of the same order of magnitude as the proposed demonstration plant.

6. edo

edo Member

You're right, its not new. What's new are the technologies that rival Li-ion

7. doug

No, nothing new. I made this thread about a year ago (and another more recently) since grid storage is becoming more important with the increased use of intermittent renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar.

As a physics guy, I like flywheels since they're relatively simple and something I can thoroughly understand (batteries on the other hand... ). As mechanical devices, I wonder how long they last in practice. These flywheels are a lot like the turbomolecular vacuum pumps I've used. They're happiest at a constant speed, spin in vacuum at tangential velocities above Mach 2, and fail really spectacularly.

8. SByer

SByer '08 #383

Video or it didn't happen! ;-)
    Really, I can just imagine, and I think it's be cool to see from an "I love explosions" angle.

Of course, in saying "rival Li-ion", we know why it's unsuitable for mobile applications, right? That would make a really funny video, though...

9. edo

edo Member

Are you referring to the Gyroscopic effect? Actually, I think I remember there being some buses using flywheels to store electricity.

The gyroscopic effect can be counteracted by using counter-rotating flywheels. then you can get some interesting effects by having a control to unbalance them. (talk about cornering:biggrin:)