Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM module added for MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Thread title corrected to reflect most probable upgrade scenario.

Wanted to share my recent experience - I just had installed the FM radio option for the HW3 upgrade this week. The FM reception works great and no issues there. What was unusual was that after installation there was an icon for Serius radio!! Was surprised because I have the all glass roof and could not get Serius because the antenna was in the panaroof option only. I called Serius and they activated the radio for a 90 day trial!! Bottom line - if you get the FM upgrade and have the all glass roof, DO NOT activate Serius, it won’t work....the car doesn’t have the antenna to receive the signal, though Serius will tell you that it is activated.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: boaterva
...after installation there was an icon for Serius radio!! Was surprised because I have the all glass roof and could not get Serius because the antenna was in the panaroof option only...the car doesn’t have the antenna to receive the signal...
Do you have the premium audio option? Either way, it is great to know that the Serius/XM unit can be retrofitted. I assume that if you hooked up your own antenna it would still work, although reception could be really terrible depending on where you could fish antenna wires.

Tesla did eventually put that antenna in the rear hatch glass to add XM/Serius back to the all glass roof. I have always been curious as to whether the wiring harness for standard audio cars at that point has that sat antenna in the harness. I assume it was cheaper to manage two harnesses than to put the premium wiring in every car.

Last edited: