Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM radio - is yours working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've discovered that I can no longer tune my FM radio. It's stuck on the station I last used several months ago. There are two other saved stations that are local and I know are working, but when I press them, nothing happens. And direct tuning doesn't work either.

This isn't a big deal as I don't really use the radio that much, but I would like to have it working properly for those few times i use it. But I don't know if this is software related, and might be something that others are experiencing, and I should just wait for an update to fix it; or if it's just me, and I should schedule a service appointment. So - please let me know if it's working for you - thanks!

Oh - I'm on version 2020.48.26, although I first noticed this on version 2020.48.12.1

Reactions: 9erDog
Similar problem. First noticed it on 12/16, a week after installing 2020.48.10. We rarely use the radio, so all we are sure of is that it worked a year ago.

The radio is stuck on 101.3 (a station no one has ever listened to). It cannot be changed by tapping the up/down arrows on screen, using the steering wheel buttons, or typing in another station for direct tune. There is no option to get a list of stations or favorites. Repeatedly trying to change the radio station will cause the car to mute audio. Rebooting the car changes nothing. Two firmware updates since we noticed it changes nothing.

I suppose if it's something physical, it could have been broken by the AP3 hardware update we got last February.

I see this similar complaint from three years ago: FM Radio Issues, but nobody bothered mentioning how the problem was resolved or anything really.

My plan is to wait until after the V11 update, which should be pretty soon. If that doesn't fix it, it's time to complain.

Reactions: 9erDog
I keep seeing this thread and then forgetting to check my car (I rarely listen to the radio any more). Just went and checked and was able to tune into most all of my saved favorites (I didn't check them all).

My car updated to 2020.48.30 last night FWIW. It's been a while since I listed to the radio, so I do not know if I lost it at any time.

Did you run a double-thumbwheel reboot after the installation? That seems to fix a number of these types of issues.

I've gotten into the habit of doing it after every update. It may not actually do anything, but makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
I also do that reboot, plus the power off reboot after every update. Unfortunately it hasn't fixed this little issue yet.

Did you run a double-thumbwheel reboot after the installation? That seems to fix a number of these types of issues.

I've gotten into the habit of doing it after every update. It may not actually do anything, but makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

If he didn't, I did on that car. One of the few reasons for FM is for watching lights synchronized to music. When that car was visiting us I tried to make it work

I can't delete the currently existing presets. The presets screen is unresponsive. Sort of actually - I can press on one, and it'll kind of think about it for a few seconds, and then go back to playing the same station as before. Actually, as of last night when I tested it, it wasn't even playing that station - it was just silent.

I have to assume the plan then is to make the FM experience so bad they eventually axe it altogether, thereby incentivizing even more people to pay for premium connectivity to get streaming FM radio :)

I need to check if mine is working actually since I rarely use it.

I talked to Tesla Service today about an unrelated issue and brought up this radio problem. The guy said that it's a known issue, caused by a firmware problem, and that they do not yet have a fix. Expect maybe a month or two before a fix shows up.

So I'm still hoping we see V11 soon and it doesn't have this problem. Seems more likely given this information.

When the 2 button reset doesn’t fix the problem, you may have to do the hard reset by removing the 12 volt contractor from under the rear seat for a minute and then reconnecting it. This is what the SC did to fix my Dashcam/sentry mode problem. This is also what needs to be done to reset the Ohmmu battery error code. Make sure you have a door open, will post the link by MPP with instructions on how to do this.

From MPP:

“Have you ever had your radio stop working all day? Rearview camera only shows black? Performing a soft reset holding down the steering wheel buttons can’t always fix your problems. This guide will show you how to perform a hard reset on your Model 3 in a matter of minutes, and using only one tool.’

Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset | Mountain Pass Performance

Fred

Last edited:
That's interesting that they specifically mention the radio there. I had forgotten that part. I've done that reset a few times, might give it a shot. For those that might want to try this - I had a tesla mobile tech warn me about this reset, saying it was fine but you should leave the main battery connect open for longer than these instructions say - apparently it can go into a boot loop if you reconnect it too soon. He suggested 5-10 minutes.

Last edited: