Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM Radio to be removed? Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The radio is a separate module. The MCU1 radio uses an analog interface which is incompatible with MCU2.

It appears the infotainment upgrade only replaces the MCU1 processor module with the MCU2 processor module - not replacing the console display (look at the image on the infotainment upgrade page - it has a yellow border !).

FM/HD radio/XM is included in new S/3/X vehicles. Since many AM stations also broadcast in HD radio, without an AM radio, you can still get most of the stations.

The Tesla streaming apps do not provide live sports/news. Even if Tesla supported TuneIn Premium, there are still many stations that are available with FM/XM.

When we get the infotainment upgrade e-mail, will schedule the upgrade and ask for the MCU2 radio to be added. And if that's not possible (or is unreasonably priced), we'll cancel the infotainment upgrade.

If enough owners press Tesla about the MCU2 radio, they could add that as an option - similar to how Tesla has modified their strategy in the past for things like FUSC or closing the stores...

• Funny
Reactions: TonyT
I don't think we can assume that the retrofit MCU2 is the same as the original MCU2. The original MCU2 also has FM radio...

Also fun WiFi fact, 5 GHz provides faster speeds, but 2.4 GHz penetrates walls better, hence why 2.4 GHz tends to work better for vehicles located outside of the main home.

The FM/XM radio has been a separate component in all MCU's MCU2 is capable of using it. The radio uses different connectors between 1 and 2 and also analog vs digital signal for the sound is changed. I would believe MCU2 for retrofit is the same as MCU2 in current production cars.

Having the radio is totally possible, just depends if Tesla will entertain the idea. You might want to bring a case of Champaign for the service center instead of doughnuts.

The radio is a separate module. The MCU1 radio uses an analog interface which is incompatible with MCU2.

It appears the infotainment upgrade only replaces the MCU1 processor module with the MCU2 processor module - not replacing the console display (look at the image on the infotainment upgrade page - it has a yellow border !).

Good point, that should weigh heavily in one's decision, makes the upgrade seem pretty expensive.

You'd be surprised how many stations are on TuneIn. Here's their top stations for Washington State in general, but you can narrow down to your local area as well: Stream Radio from Washington | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

KUOW is the local NPR station, right? It's available here: Listen to KUOW-FM on TuneIn

In Chicago a couple of pretty popular AM stations like WSCR The Score which is a sports radio station dropped out of TuneIn for Radio.Com. WBBM which is the Bears radio station also isnt on TuneIn, but has both an AM and FM station so we can listen to Bears on the FM station.

I am really curious why they are removing radio.

The more I think about this, the more upset I get. There is not a single game in the Infotainment package I would use. I have NO idea why Tesla even has them. No one should be playing games when the massive car is flying down the road at 70 mph.

As to live FM (and AM) radio, these are important links to current events, news, emergency broadcasts, and other critical information. So someone suggested that we buy a cheap AM/FM radio and glue it to the dash. Seriously? This is a $98,000 vehicle (plus the $3000 I paid for the new-and-improved autodrive). I paid for a live-feed FM radio and now you tell me that in order to get the features initially promised, I have to lose this important feature. Sure, kids, some of you don't follow what's going on in the local news, but I do. It's part of what I do nowadays. No, I'm not at all happy about this.

the games and netflix are for when you're parked - you can't play games while driving (which makes sense!). Agree no one should be playing games while driving and tesla has thoughtfully locked it out on driving.

The infotainment is the perfect pastime on the 3 for supercharging on roadtrips - esp for wary family members or ppl in the group new to EV's that don't understand why we have to wait 30 minutes to charge when gas cars fill up in 5 min. Netflix and Hulu sure come in handy. It's the only reason I'm considering it. The browser is not a big deal for me, I have my phone. Sure I could put an ipad on the console and that's why I do now but then I have to tether it to my phone and make sure it's charged and not forget to bring it along.....
The lack of FM is disappointing - I'm going to see if I can find my local stations on tunein, I think if so then it'll be ok.

Regardless of whether the entire component is replaced or the display is reused, a picture of an MCU with a yellow border on a marketing page really doesn't have anything to do with what is going to happen in service. If it did, they could just as easily be showing the yellow border to remind you that you can get rid of it by replacing the MCU. That having been said, if they didn't replace the entire thing, would that mean you'd still have the small memory chip, which would leave to even more premature failure since it's already used and suddenly processing even more data?

Regardless of whether the entire component is replaced or the display is reused, a picture of an MCU with a yellow border on a marketing page really doesn't have anything to do with what is going to happen in service. If it did, they could just as easily be showing the yellow border to remind you that you can get rid of it by replacing the MCU. That having been said, if they didn't replace the entire thing, would that mean you'd still have the small memory chip, which would leave to even more premature failure since it's already used and suddenly processing even more data?

Until someone has the infotainment upgrade done, we won't know for sure what Tesla is replacing.

If the display is included in the $2500 upgrade - and includes a display that won't suffer the yellow band problem in the future, that provides more value to the upgrade.

Though loss of the radio, without having access to the FM/HD radio/XM programs we want, will likely prevent us from upgrading.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Obviously, it wouldn't be an MCU replacement otherwise. It was a critical thinking question for the person I was replying to.

If I'm being completely honest, the question was a bit misguided in spite of that. The fact of the matter is that "processor module" is not the correct technical term and I shouldn't have simply dropped "module" but should have instead admitted to myself that he meant "computer" vs "processor".

Until someone has the infotainment upgrade done, we won't know for sure what Tesla is replacing.
I agree, that was the other point of my reply.

I've taken a few (not many) road trips and spent time in the cellphone lot at the airport (for 45-90 minutes each time). I never use the car's entertainment systems as they were too flaky. I don't work Facebook even tied to the free WiFi as (again) it was too slow and there were issues. Perhaps this will change with the new Infotainment system but I did listen to the FM or FM-HD radio and I used my phone for email and FB. I will really miss the live radio. What if there was a nationwide health emergency of some kind and they needed to distribute real-time updates to the public. Updated Tesla owners would be clueless. But that would never happen in 'merica.

Best we can hope for is to get FM/HD radio/XM - since MCU2 only supports a digital interface.

Years ago Musk promised Tesla would provide a screen mirroring alternative to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - if we had that today, it should be possible to replace the FM/HD radio/XM programming with a combination of streaming apps on smart phones - providing much more than is available through Tesla's built-in apps.

Though if Tesla would add the SiriusXM app and add support for TuneIn Premium, they'd get much closer (for the next few months, there won't be any live sports anyway...).

Best we can hope for is to get FM/HD radio/XM - since MCU2 only supports a digital interface.

Years ago Musk promised Tesla would provide a screen mirroring alternative to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto - if we had that today, it should be possible to replace the FM/HD radio/XM programming with a combination of streaming apps on smart phones - providing much more than is available through Tesla's built-in apps.

Though if Tesla would add the SiriusXM app and add support for TuneIn Premium, they'd get much closer (for the next few months, there won't be any live sports anyway...).
Streaming only works if you live in an area of the country that has uninterrupted cell service.

TuneIn Premium is not supported?

On road trips, we encounter areas with spotty or no internet along interstate and state highway - so the streaming apps don't work everywhere, which is one of the reasons why we probably won't do the infotainment upgrade (the other is that we don't want to rely on smartphone apps because using the phone interface while driving is illegal and more dangerous than using the steering wheel/console display).

TuneIn Premium is not supported in the Tesla built-in app. It is available for smartphones.