Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM Radio to be removed? Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In theory, the streaming apps can be an acceptable replacement for AM/FM/XM radio.

Live sports are the biggest gap today - because Tesla doesn't support TuneIn Premium or the Sirius XM app - and while those apps are available on smartphones, without the long-promised screen mirroring, the console display can't be used to interact with those apps.

If many stations aren't available on TuneIn, then Tesla should add an additional app (radio.com?) to include those stations.

Though moving from a simple radio/XM interface to an interface involving multiple apps isn't as convenient...

As of now, we'll likely skip the infotainment upgrade unless we have a way to access live sports through the console interface.

If it's possible to add the MCU2 radio - would like to know how much that would cost...

For many travelers, trading AM/FM for streaming is a great benefit. Hated the way AM/FM would fade in and out, going around hills or traveling down freeways.

Find that streaming gives much higher continous quality and the stability is welcome. Seem to be able to lock onto a station and listen through many states.

Find myself listening to more podcasts and broading my interests.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
That is true. I was traveling in a National Park. There was a significant buffer built into the streaming, but when I got off the beaten path, the Nav and streaming went away.

Was actually an eye opening event for us. Without the nav and constant steaming, we kind of mentally switched gears. Began to become more involved and engaged in the beautiful scenery of the National Park around us. Began watching more for wildlife, enjoying the smells, watching a bit more for road signs, and generally getting more attuned to the spectacular Nature around us. For us, at that time, turning off all the electronic distractions transported us closer to the reasons we were making the trip. Instead of blindly following the GPS we began to become more aware of the direction we were traveling and the situation we were in. Found it refreshing, and nice to be using our brain and senses as we traveled through the park. Noticed which side of the car the Sun was on, and the shadows it was casting. We became more aware, and it added to our passage.

• Disagree
I read the news of the "upgrade" with a bit of a shock. I have a Model 3, and I was already surprised they bagged the AM radio when some highway departments use AM stations to broadcast traffic advisories. Now if they plan on bagging FM in future Teslas, I guess that means I am stuck with my old Roadster and Model 3. Here in Vermont, there are many places I cannot stream due to limited cellular coverage. If it weren't for FM, I could not listen to any local radio stations on my drives to and from work. This seems like a mistake to me—I wonder how much they can possibly be saving.

I believe XM was removed when MCU2 came about because MCU2 doesn't have it. Therefore, it seems logical to me that XM would be lost when you upgrade the MCU. AFAIK, FM is available in MCU2 cars. If that is correct, I suspect the indication that FM will be lost is likely a typo. I can see where AM would be lost if you had an older vehicle that still had it, because MCU2 probably doesn't support it at all, either. However, if MCU2 supports FM, I don't see how it could be terribly difficult to appropriately adapt the antenna connection. Am I remembering correctly that MCU2 + FM is a thing in production vehicles, or did FM go away at the same time as XM for the same reason?

The more I think about this, the more upset I get. There is not a single game in the Infotainment package I would use. I have NO idea why Tesla even has them. No one should be playing games when the massive car is flying down the road at 70 mph.

As to live FM (and AM) radio, these are important links to current events, news, emergency broadcasts, and other critical information. So someone suggested that we buy a cheap AM/FM radio and glue it to the dash. Seriously? This is a $98,000 vehicle (plus the $3000 I paid for the new-and-improved autodrive). I paid for a live-feed FM radio and now you tell me that in order to get the features initially promised, I have to lose this important feature. Sure, kids, some of you don't follow what's going on in the local news, but I do. It's part of what I do nowadays. No, I'm not at all happy about this.

I believe XM was removed when MCU2 came about because MCU2 doesn't have it. Therefore, it seems logical to me that XM would be lost when you upgrade the MCU. AFAIK, FM is available in MCU2 cars. If that is correct, I suspect the indication that FM will be lost is likely a typo. I can see where AM would be lost if you had an older vehicle that still had it, because MCU2 probably doesn't support it at all, either. However, if MCU2 supports FM, I don't see how it could be terribly difficult to appropriately adapt the antenna connection. Am I remembering correctly that MCU2 + FM is a thing in production vehicles, or did FM go away at the same time as XM for the same reason?

Infotainment Upgrade
2020-03-04_10-00-04.jpg

OK, if it says "AM and FM" it is unlikely to be a typo. So if I bought a new X after MCU2 came out in 2018, would it have had FM? Maybe the answer to that is no, in which case this would make sense regardless of how anyone feels about it. However, that comment needs to be paired with this: I'm also not sure the new MCU is required for FSD functionality. Yes, it is required for the visualizations, but the functionalities may work fine without the visualizations. So, if you get the FSD functionality you were promised and you can opt to keep your $2500 and keep FM with MCU1, I think you've been treated well. On the other hand, if the MCU2 upgrade is required, then I think Tesla should do something to make the loss of functionality right (or offer to refund FSD in lieu of the upgrade).

Good news: I got the email that said I'm eligible to get the Infotainment and Full Self Driving computer upgrade on my Model X. Yaaaa!
And then I read the fine print. They're no longer going to support FM radio. Wait. What? I listen to the local FM stations every morning and whenever I drive. NPR, the classical station, and more. So now I'm supposed to stream this content. That's worrisome. I'm going to try to do that when I drive today, but I'm skeptical that I'll get this local content at all. I already miss AM radio (I need it to monitor the local emergency broadcasts and the low-power transmitters the state puts up around problem areas).

So these Infotainment games--I know I don't plan to play them except in the Cellphone lot at the airport. Why have something so distracting taking up CPU time on the system and running the battery down? I don't get it.

I think I'll appreciate the 5GB WiFi and the faster processor, but come on...

And I already paid $3000 for the autodrive upgrade. They said something about another $2500. Is that on top of the $3K?

https://www.tesla.com/support/infotainment?redirect=no&utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=intel_retrofit&utm_content=software_update&utm_term=remainingMX2020-03-04_10-00-04.jpg

Am I remembering correctly that MCU2 + FM is a thing in production vehicles, or did FM go away at the same time as XM for the same reason?

Production vehicles have FM radio.

The more I think about this, the more upset I get. There is not a single game in the Infotainment package I would use. I have NO idea why Tesla even has them. No one should be playing games when the massive car is flying down the road at 70 mph.

Games (and Netflix) only work when parked. I have to admit, I've used them in our Model 3 when waiting for the kids. Family has sat in the car watching Netflix when waiting on someone.

My concern for you MCU1 folks is that they only mention 5 GHz, I don't see any mention of dual-band. I'm wondering if anyone is going to have to upgrade their router or range-extender from 2.4 to 5 along side this MCU upgrade.
No. I use a 2.4 gig all weather TPlink access point for my MCU2 MS. In my experience the MCU2 wifi tends to prefer the 2.4 gig N band over the 5 gig AC band. I also use a dual band Aerohive access point that is configured to push the slower connections to the 2.4 gig radio thus keeping the 5 gig radio unencumbered for faster connections. It always pushes the MS to the N band, so I have always assumed the LG wireless module in my MS is a 2.4 gig only... maybe not?

No. I use a 2.4 gig all weather TPlink access point for my MCU2 MS. In my experience the MCU2 wifi tends to prefer the 2.4 gig N band over the 5 gig AC band. I also use a dual band Aerohive access point that is configured to push the slower connections to the 2.4 gig radio thus keeping the 5 gig radio unencumbered for faster connections. It always pushes the MS to the N band, so I have always assumed the LG wireless module in my MS is a 2.4 gig only... maybe not?

I don't think we can assume that the retrofit MCU2 is the same as the original MCU2. The original MCU2 also has FM radio...

Also fun WiFi fact, 5 GHz provides faster speeds, but 2.4 GHz penetrates walls better, hence why 2.4 GHz tends to work better for vehicles located outside of the main home.

I don't think we can assume that the retrofit MCU2 is the same as the original MCU2. The original MCU2 also has FM radio...

Also fun WiFi fact, 5 GHz provides faster speeds, but 2.4 GHz penetrates walls better, hence why 2.4 GHz tends to work better for vehicles located outside of the main home.
Yep I am experiencing the wall effect. It will be interesting to see if the MCU is actually different...

I listen to local stations on TuneIn. I can’t remember the last time I used FM or AM and I find all of them fairly easily. I even prefer the NPR podcasts over the local NPR station for the shorter drives.

I could see in low mobile coverage areas this would be an issue.
It seems the AM/FM stations I listen to were pulled from TuneIn and moved to iHeart unfortunately.
It's crazy I know. I enjoy FM when I'm driving on road trips. I was sadden there was no AM on the Model X which was on our Model S. I have a fiesta that I drive to work while wife enjoys the Model X and I like to keep up with the local AM news. Maybe this is a sign of my age. It's getting harder and harder to live in this millennial world.
I'm a Millennial and actually primarily listen to AM radio! Bummed I'll lose it with MCU2, but I did buy this car for AutoPilot and all the tech features, so I'll likely end up upgrading to MCU2.
Production vehicles have FM radio.
Production vehicles have a digital tuner whereas our vehicles have an analog tuner. It seems Tesla decided it's not worth it for them to replace our analog tuner with the digital one, and they also decided against making the MCU2 compatible with the analog tuner.

I believe XM was removed when MCU2 came about because MCU2 doesn't have it. Therefore, it seems logical to me that XM would be lost when you upgrade the MCU. AFAIK, FM is available in MCU2 cars.

New S&X vehicles come with FM and XM. So MCU2 supports FM and XM just fine. The old tuner in MCU1 vehicles is incompatible with MCU2.