Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM Receiver Strength Low

Puddles

Jun 2, 2017
Fresno, CA
When I first had my model 3, I remarked at how well the fm tuner pulled in stations.

But I think it has gotten worse. Is that even possible? I’m somewhat underwhelmed by its performance these days.

st_o_p

Mar 26, 2019
NYC metro
The reception of FM station in the my Model 3 is a lot worse than in my BMW - and I am in a major metro area.

Somewhat related - sometimes the audio system will totally freeze - for 5-10 or 20 seconds when trying to change a station. It is completely frozen - no sound coming out, and the screen freezes too (when trying to hit anything audio). After some short interval - everything goes back to normal (but the interval is not short enough not to be annoying).

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
When I first had my model 3, I remarked at how well the fm tuner pulled in stations.

But I think it has gotten worse. Is that even possible? I’m somewhat underwhelmed by its performance these days.

yes, it has a hard time tuning some stations here in PHX that my other cars dont

Kbra

Feb 4, 2015
San Luis Obispo, California
It's been that way on my 2 Model S's and 2 Model 3's over the years. I've come to accept it as a Tesla thing. I usual mostly internet radio or BT now a days anyways so doesn't really bother me.

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
where is the antenna located?

bummer that we don't have streaming on the SR and I don't have a good data plan on VZW

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
it's in the top third (or so) of the rear window.

install a portable satellite radio unit. problem solved.

I have a standalone HD FM receiver too, but need to find an antenna for it also (don't want to do surgery on the Tesla antenna)

Puddles

Jun 2, 2017
Fresno, CA
yes, it has a hard time tuning some stations here in PHX that my other cars dont

I *like* tuning in local radio. I don’t know if they nerfed the antenna, if they did I want it back. But what I really want is improvements to the tuner interface. The way it is now is terrible.

Reactions: vickh

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC