Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Foam Cannon + Pressure Washer...that all i need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great call on the returns. I'll try my leaf blower and then a waffle towel. Then may go with dryer. Thanks for the info and wish me luck washing my baby for the first time!

Best thing is no swirls or scratches when drying your car. Wear ear protection because when the air hits corners or angles it get really loud even though the machine itself is about loud as a central vacuum.

Attachments

• 5D03B101-3851-453B-B08A-1D529C5D06E7.jpeg
    5D03B101-3851-453B-B08A-1D529C5D06E7.jpeg
    544.9 KB · Views: 129
Bigboi Car Dryers

I use the Bigboi Pro and also have a Buddy. Warm, filtered air and I don’t dry the vehicle with a cloth except to blow the water into a cloth. No water is left in seams and great for drying water on the brakes and rotors. I hate see water run and drip all over the car when I drive it back in the garage or see water spots in the barrel of the wheels. Most people will be good with the Bigboi Mini but I like to dry my truck and Teslas in less than 10 mins and makes it fun actually drying a car with the bigger Pro. Also great to use for blowing dust off of floor mats without the need to vacuum.

How long would you say the buddy takes to dry the Tesla. I use my ego leaf blower now and it’s takes me about 5-7 minutes on my ceramic coated car. I would consider the buddy since then leaf blower is annoying to use given its size. What advantage does the mini have over the buddy?

How long would you say the buddy takes to dry the Tesla. I use my ego leaf blower now and it’s takes me about 5-7 minutes on my ceramic coated car. I would consider the buddy since then leaf blower is annoying to use given its size. What advantage does the mini have over the buddy?

The obvious advantage of the mini or Pro dryers are the air volume moved and faster time in drying. It’s like a good pressure washer that uses a greater volume of water vs less water. Don’t look at just the speeds of the unit, you want speed and volume.

The hose is lighter than holding the Buddy canister and nozzle which is a bit bulky in getting real close to certain areas like the door hinges or around the channels and seals with the frunk or trunk open. The hose is lightweight to maneuver around.

The Bigboi Pro unit comes with wheels while the Mini doesn’t, but could be bought separately.

The hose is designed so that it shrinks to 1/2 it’s length when the unit is not on and expands to 11.5 feet when air is flowing through so it’s easy to store.

I keep my Buddy in the garage and use it after I go through a touchless carwash near my house and I come home to dry behind the side mirrors, wheels, and especially the door handles.

The Buddy would take 10 mins to dry a Model 3 and the Pro/Mini would be 5-10mins depending on how thorough and dry you want the car. Probably quicker drying times if you have a sealant or coating. The heated air from the units is a nice feature in the winter as well.

Pic of the Pro beside the Buddy and a pint sized bottle of Beadmaker.

Attachments

• 88528904-B9DC-4FF7-9749-F6B06051C9ED.jpeg
    88528904-B9DC-4FF7-9749-F6B06051C9ED.jpeg
    822.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 8ADCE039-1C20-4B82-B306-A88305FCFF09.jpeg
    8ADCE039-1C20-4B82-B306-A88305FCFF09.jpeg
    796.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Burrito
Yep... DI your water and no need to wipe/blow dry....easy peasy..

$450+ for 400 gal of clean water. Figure 20 gal per wash, so that's about 20 washes out of those resin canisters, or about $22.50 per wash for clean water. I'll stick with the microfiber towels for drying. I'm not sure what the resin canisters cost to refill or replace, but I can't imagine it being much less expensive. What do I have wrong? Perhaps the # of gal used per wash?

I have used the Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash in a foam gun (not cannon). This is the gold colored one. I absolutely loved it. Lots of foam, cleaned really well, smelled really good, and was a great value. There are also lots of positive online reviews for this product and I definitely recommend it. I don't have any experience with the pink Wash and Wax solution.

My other favorite soap solution for use in my foam gun is Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam wash. This foams a bit more than Meguiars Gold Class, but the Meguiars costs a lot less and is a better value.

Reactions: jebinc
$450+ for 400 gal of clean water. Figure 20 gal per wash, so that's about 20 washes out of those resin canisters, or about $22.50 per wash for clean water. I'll stick with the microfiber towels for drying. I'm not sure what the resin canisters cost to refill or replace, but I can't imagine it being much less expensive. What do I have wrong? Perhaps the # of gal used per wash?
Convenience does have a cost. There are less expensive DI alternatives... But they ain't free either.

Will still need a wash mitt even with a foam cannon.

@jebinc what you’re missing is that it depends on your TDS, gpm and trigger time. The lower your tds, gpm and trigger time...the longer the media will last. In my situation my water has a TDS off 44. I use a dic20 with a k112tst (gpm 1.9) and only use it to rinse, which is what’s typically suggested/needed. I’ve never timed it but let’s just say around 5min trigger time although probably less. When I input those numbers into the online calc....it says I should get 1725gallons or 182 washes. Since I got it in March, I’ve done weekly washes( about 25 so far) and the TDS meter is still reading zero...which is what’s expected.

As far as drying. Even though I use the DI and can just let it dry... I still use an Ego 580 to blow the water off. Mostly because I end each wash with a refresh of gyeon cure. The ego580 is awesome. With the ceramic coating majority of the water is blown off...and I finish up with a quality MF to wipe the door jams, under hood and trunk crevices.

C0E05AE4-49AE-4B7F-BAC0-C8C246E81824.jpeg

@jebinc what you’re missing is that it depends on your TDS, gpm and trigger time. The lower your tds, gpm and trigger time...the longer the media will last. In my situation my water has a TDS off 44. I use a dic20 with a k112tst (gpm 1.9) and only use it to rinse, which is what’s typically suggested/needed. I’ve never timed it but let’s just say around 5min trigger time although probably less. When I input those numbers into the online calc....it says I should get 1725gallons or 182 washes. Since I got it in March, I’ve done weekly washes( about 25 so far) and the TDS meter is still reading zero...which is what’s expected.

As far as drying. Even though I use the DI and can just let it dry... I still use an Ego 580 to blow the water off. Mostly because I end each wash with a refresh of gyeon cure. The ego580 is awesome. With the ceramic coating majority of the water is blown off...and I finish up with a quality MF to wipe the door jams, under hood and trunk crevices.

View attachment 446466
Thank you for the above insight!

View attachment 446466
Can you give me some info on these wheels and size, they look pretty nice!

Fred

View attachment 446466

Clearly a fan of Obsessed Garage I see. ;)