TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

FOB and windows

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Alysashley79, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Someone help me out. Didn't the key fob used to roll down all the windows? I swear if you held down the middle button it would roll down all four windows. Didn't it? Now it doesn't seem to do it.

2. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I've never done it, but I just tried it and you are right. It doesn't work, and according to the manual it should. Interesting.

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I haven't tried it recently, but yes, it used to. This caused all four windows to be rolled down when it's pouring rain on more than one occasion (and you can't roll them up from the fob either). If they've removed this functionality--good for them.

4. ThortsMD

ThortsMD Member

I tired to do just that this morning and it didn't work for me, either.

5. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

I read on some thread about the 5.9 update that the roll down feature was removed. There was only speculation as to why that was the case as there was no mention in the changelog.

6. GIdoc

GIdoc Member

That functionality was removed with 5.9 firmware as lot of people had their windows roll down accidentally.

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

Thank god if they removed the feature! I hated it, playing with the kids, button gets pressed and held in my pocket, more then a few times I had snow in my car this winter.

8. Kraken

Kraken Member

It was a neat feature, but I never used it. That being said, it seems they haven't learned yet to include things that are removed in the change log and to advise people ahead of time that a feature will be removed. How did they not learn the first time. For that very reason, we should be vocal about this removal.

9. bsd

bsd Member

I wished the fob would do the opposite: close all windows and sunroof.

10. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Yay! I lived in fear of this; my other half's done this a few times with the SUV and not discovered the windows were down till later...ick...so, I'm glad Tesla changed this (but they should've documented it).

- - - Updated - - -

I'd like full (and separate, and individual) window control via the app, which IIRC already handles the root.

11. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I noticed the same. Went to use it when approaching the vehicle and was confused as to why it wasn't working.

12. einTier

einTier Member

My Porsche would roll down the windows if the lock/unlock button was held down after unlocking. It would roll them all up if it was held down after locking.

I wish the Tesla functioned the same way.

13. tezco

tezco Sig P85

My Audi only does this with the key; no way to do with the fob. That prevents inadvertent activation but preserves the functionality. Maybe Tesla could only make the feature work if the driver's side door was open. That would work for most folks.

14. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

Thanks everyone for clarifying. I have to say. Now that spring is here I'd kind of like to have this feature to be able to open the windows and allow the air to begin moving.

Oh well. I think this feature would have been nice to have one of those "on/off" buttons in the settings.

15. Kraken

Kraken Member

it might return in a different form eventually. Maybe in the app since you can unlock the car from the app anyway. This would require a more deliberate effort.

16. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

I tried it a few times this weekend and it doesn't work with 5.8.10 either.

17. jefflieb

jefflieb Member

My Bmw does this....

I would really like to open and close the windows with the FOB AND the app !

18. andydoty

andydoty Member

My Murano would roll down the windows if you held down the unlock. I found this both good and bad. The good was you could vent the hot car before getting to it. The bad was I came out to a car with snow on the seats due to my leaning on the fob (against other keys in my pocket) while sitting on the couch within proximity of the car. I know take my keys out of my pocket when I get home. I don't like doing this as I've run outside only to lock myself out of the house. Perhaps a happy medium would be to enable the feature within the App? You can vent the roof, why not roll up or down the windows?

19. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I noticed this went away as well. I had already changed to 5.9 when the weather got warm.

I am a sad panda. I run windows down almost all summer (excepting some >65mph travel). I used this all the time last year, and in my VW GTI before my Tesla as well.
    s03e06_480.jpg

20. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

I just got my receipt from a service visit. The key fob not rolling the windows down was an issue I brought up for them to investigate. The receipt confirmed that holding the key fob on the top no longer rolls down the windows.

Oddly enough, my loaner with 5.8.10 (1.49.95) still had the ability to roll down windows while depressing top of key fob.

Conclusion: bummer. It was a helpful feature for those of us in warmer climates.