Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FOB behavior when you leave your car, but don't REALLY leave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice that after leaving my car, if I walk about 20-30 feet away so that the handles retract and then return to the car, the handles don't present, nor do they open with a press. Requires me to double-click the keyfob to unlock.

For example, today I threw my groceries in the frunk (love that), walked a few dozen feet away to return the grocery cart to its corral, and when I returned, I had to use the FOB to get in the car. (App would've worked as well).

Seems like consistent behavior--I've experienced this same thing several times before.

Anyone else notice it? Do you think it's intentional for some reason, or a bug? I call bug.

I think there's a time delay lock-out. It makes sense; when you're walking away from the car, you don't want random variations in transmission strength to re-unlock the car.

That said, I find it normally responds right away if you tap the door handle.

I think there's a time delay lock-out. It makes sense; when you're walking away from the car, you don't want random variations in transmission strength to re-unlock the car.

That said, I find it normally responds right away if you tap the door handle.

I have experienced the same thing. Coming back to the car the handles won't auto present but a touch to the handles will get them to come back out.

On occasion I have also noticed the behavior that Todd speaks about. This is mainly when showing the car to others and we are walking all around the car and constantly getting in and out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD