Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fob didnt work after changing battery. We only have one fob!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
fob didnt work !!!! after change battary !!! and we have one key only !!!

helllo

car tesla model X 90D 2017 , my friedns chenge the battary since 15 days and all ok , today key didnt work ????
the problem we have only one key and no telsa service in ukraine !!!!

how we can replace battary for safe next time ? it's must chenge it inside the car or when car is close ? or in rang of the car ???

we hope to help us in this problem or how we can protect other car from this problem

There's no official special procedure for changing the key fob battery. Verify that you have installed the new battery correctly and didn't bend the positive contact out of the way, and that the new battery is good and of the right type. In the meantime, you can unlock the car via the app or by placing the dead key fob directly against this spot:
Screenshot_4.png

Edit: this seems to be a sporadic issue, more information here: Key fob not working after battery replacement
Unfortunately, sounds like you'll need someone who can reprogram the car to accept the fob.

Last edited:
Reactions: oliver4ever
There's no official special procedure for changing the key fob battery. Verify that you have installed the new battery correctly and didn't bend the positive contact out of the way, and that the new battery is good and of the right type. In the meantime, you can unlock the car via the app or by placing the dead key fob directly against this spot:
View attachment 487022

Edit: this seems to be a sporadic issue, more information here: Key fob not working after battery replacement
Unfortunately, sounds like you'll need someone who can reprogram the car to accept the fob.

thank you some one tommorw he will try to fix the key :( and i hope will work or we will travel 1500 km !!!!

• Informative
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
Hi Oliver,

I have had many key fob problems and I have had many of the key fobs replaced.
Last week I had the car at a service center because the driver door did not auto-present.
They had to replace the central body controller.
With this replacement they had to reprogram by key fobs.
I am hoping in my case that it was the central body controller that was
causing the key fob failures by forgetting or ignoring them...

Shawn

Reactions: oliver4ever
fob didnt work !!!! after change battary !!! and we have one key only !!!

helllo

car tesla model X 90D 2017 , my friedns chenge the battary since 15 days and all ok , today key didnt work ????
the problem we have only one key and no telsa service in ukraine !!!!

how we can replace battary for safe next time ? it's must chenge it inside the car or when car is close ? or in rang of the car ???

we hope to help us in this problem or how we can protect other car from this problem

Did you friend use correct battery? As a side question does anyone know if a 2017 uses a CR2032 or a CR2354 battery? They are different.