Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fob faff fun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
I got the usual fob low battery warning a couple of weeks ago and replaced the battery with one brand I had in a drawer. Message still persisted and a couple of days later I swapped the battery out for a different brand I had in the drawer. No change again. I did the usual.. two button reboot, full power off reset... message persisted. Since the batteries I had used were from packs bought at least a year ago I ordered some fresh Panasonic (Tesla recommended brand) which arrived with 9yrs shelf life
I swapped my fob battery again for the Panasonic - no change to message. I finally got around to testing wife's fob.. same message but when I popped a new Panasonic cell into hers the message went away. It recurred with my fob, however.
So I took out my fob's battery, blew through the chamber, eased the spring contact, wiped the cell with a tissue and re-inserted - all good.

Was there some finger grease on the cell or contacts? Just coincidence? Easing the spring contacts is dodgy - I only lifted them a tad 'cos I could see that going expensive. Dust?

Just reporting what worked.

pgk