TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

FOB is Actually Functional in its Design

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by gavine, Sep 11, 2014.

1. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I just realized that the FOB being shaped like the car is actually a functional feature. With traditional FOBs, you need to either memorize the buttons or look at them to lock/unlock, open the trunk, etc. With the Model S FOB, I can "feel" for the trunk, frunk and roof without taking it out of my pocket or looking at it.

I want to give props for this.......

2. santana338

santana338 Member

I do something similar. My SC gave me a neoprene fob cover. I tried it out for a while, but it made it hard for me to hit the trunk button accurately each time while the fob was still in my pocket. So I went back to a naked fob. My dexterity must not be as good as yours, gavine. I rely on the key chain tail to hit the trunk button when I am heading down the parking lot with a full basket of groceries. :smile:

3. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I tend to agree, except to lock/unlock, I'd intuitively expect to give it a squeeze on each side (i.e. on the 'doors'), rather than pressing the roof, which should tilt/close the roof, or maybe open it with a longer press.

@Santana338, you could always try one of my Silicone FobPockets (link in my signature), as that adds protection without the bulk, and illustrates where the buttons are.

4. gavine

The frunk is thinner than the trunk (aerodynamics). :biggrin:

5. caddieo

caddieo Member

......and also a little bit longer. Plus, it helps that I have only a small, light, decorative plastic thingee attached to the trunk and no big bunch of keys to "wade" through.

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

#6 Gizmotoy, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    I disagree. Perhaps it's because I use one of Pete's excellent Deluxe pockets, but it's really hard to figure out by feel where the buttons actually are without looking. Is this the trunk or the hood? Ok, it's the hood... now where's the actual hood button?

Whereas with my previous car's key, there were metal buttons with different braille-like nubs to instantly find where to push and what button you'd be pushing.

I find the key to be a cool gimmick, but not very functional.

Edit: And in proving to myself that the hood button is hard to find and I'm not an idiot, I managed to somehow open my frunk which is two blocks and 3 floors away, so I both succeeded and failed in my original goal. :redface:

7. gavine

Maybe I was born with a special talent for this. :cool:

It seems very simple to me to tell which is the front and back of the car on the FOB.

8. commasign

commasign Active Member

+1 for the AbstractOcean silicone fob pocket which makes it extremely easy to know where each button is and what it does (because it's labeled).

Silicone FobPockets - Abstract Ocean

9. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

Yeah. Long-and-pointy vs. short-and-stubby. Easy to tell even in the little key fob cover thing.

10. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I've gotten very good at finding the trunk button on the fob while in my pocket. My plastic trim pieces are off from installing the rear T so no close button on the hatch. Yes, excellent job Tesla.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I was constantly unlocking the "wrong" trunk. Pete's silicone fob pocket has completely solved that for me with its button indicators on it. BTW, this fob cover is absolutely great. Even my Tesla Service Center folks were commenting on how they liked it.

12. caddieo

caddieo Member

Same here. When I hold the decorative tag in my palm, my thumb tip falls naturally on the frunk button and from that point, it's easy to slide backwards to the other buttons as needed. I can do it in my pocket.

13. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

I had the neoprene pocket for my fob and hated it. I could obviously tell where the frunk and/or trunk buttons were located but the fob would move around and it was hard to find the center of the button. since switching to the silicone pocket I haven't had any problems hitting the right spot to activate the button by just feeling the fob.

14. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I love the silicone pocket, but I only use the fob once a week, when I have to open the frunk to put away groceries. I could always do it by feel, even before I had the silicone pocket. Other than that weekly trip, I never have to dig it out out of my purse.