Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fob issues after Blackvue installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. I had the Blackvue 2-channel dash cam installed yesterday by a shop in my area. And it seems ever since then the key fob doesn't communicate well with my MS. I press it to lock and unlock, and it works 1/5 times. I get in the car with the fob and the car won't start, telling me there's no fob inside. I wave it around inside and after a few seconds it's detected. But I've never expedienced this until yesterday. Maybe has something to do with 8.0 update I received two days ago? Or something with the Blackvue signal interference? Or the shop messed up some wiring during the install?

Where they put the extra wire available? I remember that someone had problem with the extra wire in the hatch/trunk so I asked my installer to put it in the front above the mirror area. Unplug everything from both camera and check if you still have the same problem. Easy to fix....

• Helpful
Reactions: fallen888
I heard of this in another thread. It sounds like the cable going to the rear cable was damaged during installation. Probably the shield connection was broken at the rear connector. Only way to fix this is to replace the cable and have them be more careful installing it. It is a thin fragile cable.

• Informative
I read about the exact same problem in a different post, too.

I installed Blackvue DR650s-2ch myself about a week ago, doesn't have fob issue, I ran the rear camera cable from the passenger side, from the center of the front windshield back to center for the rear window, the cable is perfect in length, didn't have to hide a single inch of the cable.

My installer had shortened the cable and re-soldered it (so it still would power the rear camera fine) but that little bit of non-insulated braid which was exposed caused all kinds of problems with the GPS.

Ask the installer if he changed the cable in any way. A while ago (not sure how long ago) BlackVue was shipping badly insulated cables and was having all kinds of interference problems with the GPS and other functions of the car. With the newer better insulated cable that stopped. As long as the installer didn't fiddle with that cable it should not cause you problems.

Good luck,

Paul

• Helpful
Some installers cut and solder the rear coax cable because they do not have the time or skill to fish it properly. This is a no-no as the shielding is gone. This cable carries both power and signal/data for the rear camera. Even if the cable was not cut, if it was badly crimped (as can happen if not pulled carefully through the rear lift gate boot), it can also get damaged. As noted above, early model Blackvues used a cable with poor shielding. This particularly affected our EU colleagues with DAB radio. Newer Blackvues ship with an upgraded cable. Some EU folks who did not want to fish a new cable purchased and installed snap-on ferrite cores to help shield the signal/noise.

• Helpful