TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Fob missing somewhere inside Model X - any guesses?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by MikeC, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Our Model X key fob is inside the car somewhere (we are able to start the car, etc.) but we've looked everywhere inside and can't locate it.

Anyone here know of any secret hiding spot it may have fallen into? We've looked under/around seats, center console, under floor mats, frunk, trunk, everywhere...

2. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Press the top of the car and the tiny horn in the fob will honk. :rolleyes:

• Funny x 18
  3. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

#3 SMSMD, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Check in the dead space between the console and the glasses/spectacles compartment...I usually keep my glasses there, the dead space is just below it.. . See photo one.
    The other spot is the space below your charging ports compartment. ..get out from your seat and run your hand down use a torchlight will be helpful. .see the photo two.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  4. Austral

Austral Member

If I'm allowed to answer the question without use of the Minkowski spacetime continuum, I know where they are, yo. :0)

5. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

No MX, so no specific ideas.

Is it in a case? I can see just putting it on the dash and not seeing it easily.

Are there pockets in the doors?

Is the car in the garage? Maybe the fob is there someplace.

If you can get all the lights off at night, shining a small flashlight around inside the car might get a reflection off the surface.

Do you have a dog?

• Like x 1
  6. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Tesla servuce might be able to triangulate inside the car.

• Like x 1
  8. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Thanks for this but the fob isn't in either spot.

No case and definitely not on the dash. There are pockets in the front doors but it's not in them. It's not in the garage because the car also starts when away from home. We have a dog but if you're suggesting it ate the fob, it didn't because the car starts even when the dog isn't around.

• Funny x 1
  9. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Wow, so you drove it with no fob, stopped, got out of the car and waited to see if it would lock and shut down and not re-start? Brave.

Do you have the new firmware download that includes fob-profile pairing? Did you do that? If so, does the fob get offered up to pair to another profile? Not sure that proves anything, but it might confirm if the fob is in the car.

It has to be putting out a constant RF signal. There's bound to be a way to pick that up -- some kind of mini-RDF.

Back seats don't fold -- is there a crevice between the seat and back where it might be lodged? I assume there are no coats or jackets in the car that have pockets where it might be.

• Like x 1
  10. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Stuck between the base of the seat and the back (in the crevice)? Figured if someone carried in a pant pocket, it may have fallen out and slid in between?

Good Luck! And don't park it outside...

• Like x 1
  11. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

In the trunk?

• Like x 1
  12. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Slide back the right elbow rests and look if either of the cup holders have it in.

• Like x 1
  13. unnoho

unnoho Member

Did you recently go to autopia?

• Funny x 1
  14. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'd bet it is either stuck in the driver's seat or underneath

• Like x 1
  15. alexcuse

alexcuse Member

Try looking again in the front seats crevice below the seat belt buckle holder (this spot is not visible from the floor nor under the seats, has to be Accessed from the top). The same situation happened to us this week and I missed this spot with my eyes, but my SO found it there after maybe it's her smaller hands able to reach in.

• Like x 2
  16. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Mine always ends up falling right "underneath" your phone dock.

To check there, you'll have to put your hand through the cupholder area towards the phone dock. Its ended up there everytime I've lost it.

• Like x 2
  17. JPP

JPP Active Member

OP is in SoCA, not NoCA.

18. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

I have both Tiles and TrackRs for over a year now. in that time the tile battery ran out and offered to replace the tile for 50% off. The TrackR has a replaceable battery which they only charge a buck or two for shipping to get. For this reason, I only recomend TrackRs to friends. Here is the link:
    Track your phone, wallet, keys & anything else with TrackR!

• Like x 1
  19. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions here but I still can't find it. Tesla service says I can make an appointment and they will look for it by removing the seats, etc. I think I will definitely be getting those trackers that people mentioned.

Not that brave - I only drove it down the street and I had the app for backup, anyway. I do have the update with pairing and was able to pair, so that's another reason I'm sure it's in here somewhere. It's not in the seat crevices in any of the three rows.

Nope, not in any seat crevices.

Nope, trunk is empty.

Can't find it anywhere there.

Not in cupholders, either.

Can't find it here. This is usually where my Model S fob falls - but I've never lost that fob in that car in almost 4 years now.

20. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

You're kidding? Can't they just reprogram a new fob for you? When my daughter lost the keys to our sigX loaner , they charged us around $60 for them to reprogram another. Couldn't they do the same for you and just send it in the mail or have you stop by and pick it up if they are worried about security? That seems lot more sensible than having to schedule a service apointment and pulling the seats apart.