Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fob missing somewhere inside Model X - any guesses?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeC

Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2012
Los Angeles
Our Model X key fob is inside the car somewhere (we are able to start the car, etc.) but we've looked everywhere inside and can't locate it.

Anyone here know of any secret hiding spot it may have fallen into? We've looked under/around seats, center console, under floor mats, frunk, trunk, everywhere...

Our Model X key fob is inside the car somewhere (we are able to start the car, etc.) but we've looked everywhere inside and can't locate it.

Anyone here know of any secret hiding spot it may have fallen into? We've looked under/around seats, center console, under floor mats, frunk, trunk, everywhere...
Check in the dead space between the console and the glasses/spectacles compartment...I usually keep my glasses there, the dead space is just below it.. . See photo one.
The other spot is the space below your charging ports compartment. ..get out from your seat and run your hand down use a torchlight will be helpful. .see the photo two.

Attachments

• 20161224_160542.jpg
    20161224_160542.jpg
    767.2 KB · Views: 620
  • 20161224_160259.jpg
    20161224_160259.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 496
Last edited:
No MX, so no specific ideas.

Is it in a case? I can see just putting it on the dash and not seeing it easily.

Are there pockets in the doors?

Is the car in the garage? Maybe the fob is there someplace.

If you can get all the lights off at night, shining a small flashlight around inside the car might get a reflection off the surface.

Do you have a dog?

Reactions: MikeC
Check in the dead space between the console and the glasses/spectacles compartment...I usually keep my glasses there, the dead space is just below it.. . See photo one.
The other spot is the space below your charging ports compartment. ..get out from your seat and run your hand down use a torchlight will be helpful. .see the photo two.

Thanks for this but the fob isn't in either spot.

No MX, so no specific ideas.

Is it in a case? I can see just putting it on the dash and not seeing it easily.

Are there pockets in the doors?

Is the car in the garage? Maybe the fob is there someplace.

If you can get all the lights off at night, shining a small flashlight around inside the car might get a reflection off the surface.

Do you have a dog?

No case and definitely not on the dash. There are pockets in the front doors but it's not in them. It's not in the garage because the car also starts when away from home. We have a dog but if you're suggesting it ate the fob, it didn't because the car starts even when the dog isn't around.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Ike and deonb
No case and definitely not on the dash. There are pockets in the front doors but it's not in them. It's not in the garage because the car also starts when away from home. We have a dog but if you're suggesting it ate the fob, it didn't because the car starts even when the dog isn't around.

Wow, so you drove it with no fob, stopped, got out of the car and waited to see if it would lock and shut down and not re-start? Brave.

Do you have the new firmware download that includes fob-profile pairing? Did you do that? If so, does the fob get offered up to pair to another profile? Not sure that proves anything, but it might confirm if the fob is in the car.

It has to be putting out a constant RF signal. There's bound to be a way to pick that up -- some kind of mini-RDF.

Back seats don't fold -- is there a crevice between the seat and back where it might be lodged? I assume there are no coats or jackets in the car that have pockets where it might be.

Try looking again in the front seats crevice below the seat belt buckle holder (this spot is not visible from the floor nor under the seats, has to be Accessed from the top). The same situation happened to us this week and I missed this spot with my eyes, but my SO found it there after maybe it's her smaller hands able to reach in.

Reactions: Scmbug and MikeC
The ease of misplacing our Tesla fobs was the primary reason for buying Tiles for all our keys. Awesome solution... Even recovered a lots set at an airport when another Tile passed by my lost keys and Tile alerted me they'd been found and relayed their location to me inside the TSA office at the airport. Amazing. Find Your Keys, Wallet & Phone with Tile’s Bluetooth Tracker and Save Up to 35%. | Tile

I have both Tiles and TrackRs for over a year now. in that time the tile battery ran out and offered to replace the tile for 50% off. The TrackR has a replaceable battery which they only charge a buck or two for shipping to get. For this reason, I only recomend TrackRs to friends. Here is the link:
Track your phone, wallet, keys & anything else with TrackR!

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions here but I still can't find it. Tesla service says I can make an appointment and they will look for it by removing the seats, etc. I think I will definitely be getting those trackers that people mentioned.

Wow, so you drove it with no fob, stopped, got out of the car and waited to see if it would lock and shut down and not re-start? Brave.

Do you have the new firmware download that includes fob-profile pairing? Did you do that? If so, does the fob get offered up to pair to another profile? Not sure that proves anything, but it might confirm if the fob is in the car.

It has to be putting out a constant RF signal. There's bound to be a way to pick that up -- some kind of mini-RDF.

Back seats don't fold -- is there a crevice between the seat and back where it might be lodged? I assume there are no coats or jackets in the car that have pockets where it might be.

Not that brave - I only drove it down the street and I had the app for backup, anyway. I do have the update with pairing and was able to pair, so that's another reason I'm sure it's in here somewhere. It's not in the seat crevices in any of the three rows.

Stuck between the base of the seat and the back (in the crevice)? Figured if someone carried in a pant pocket, it may have fallen out and slid in between?

Good Luck! And don't park it outside...

Nope, not in any seat crevices.

In the trunk?

Nope, trunk is empty.

I'd bet it is either stuck in the driver's seat or underneath

Can't find it anywhere there.

Slide back the right elbow rests and look if either of the cup holders have it in.

Not in cupholders, either.

Try looking again in the front seats crevice below the seat belt buckle holder (this spot is not visible from the floor nor under the seats, has to be Accessed from the top). The same situation happened to us this week and I missed this spot with my eyes, but my SO found it there after maybe it's her smaller hands able to reach in.

Can't find it here. This is usually where my Model S fob falls - but I've never lost that fob in that car in almost 4 years now.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions here but I still can't find it. Tesla service says I can make an appointment and they will look for it by removing the seats, etc. I think I will definitely be getting those trackers that people mentioned.

You're kidding? Can't they just reprogram a new fob for you? When my daughter lost the keys to our sigX loaner , they charged us around $60 for them to reprogram another. Couldn't they do the same for you and just send it in the mail or have you stop by and pick it up if they are worried about security? That seems lot more sensible than having to schedule a service apointment and pulling the seats apart.