Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fob missing somewhere inside Model X - any guesses?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tested it. A Model X key that has been on a desk for 2 hours is totally invisible to FLIR. It differs from the background by less than 0.1 degrees F.

It is shiny so it can show up on FLIR sometimes due to reflections, but that's not much different than hitting it with a bright flashlight.

So please don't go buying a FLIR camera to find your keys unless you lost it in the last half hour and it was in your pocket before.

I had placed my fob in the shelf below the touch screen and when I accelerated quickly the fob moved rapidly aft. I thought for sure it had found its way under a seat, or along a seat rail, but after searching for 15 minutes, nothing. Then, I started over and found the fob in the very aft most part of the cupholder compartment, which I had checked and rechecked (I know, the insanity thing...) but not until I slightly moved the lid that flips open to access the USB and phone area did I notice the fob was behind the front side of the lid that is revealed when the lid is slightly moved as if you were starting to close it. The fob was only visible from the cupholder space looking towards the rear of the car. I felt lucky as it seems like the fob could have gone much further into that space where only a console removal would have found it.

Ok, this makes sense. I went back and the X fob doesn't show up well anymore - it was in my pocket before the X vs. S picture and the S fob had been sitting there untouched.

I think the reason the key showed up in the latch compartment is because it was in my pocket immediate prior and there's an air gap in the trapdoor cover around the latch that the signal can come through.

So I guess Flir might only be helpful for a recently lost key that still has some residual heat on it.

My fobs were definitely not in my palm or pocket but perhaps reflecting heat from the floor and 12v, given they were each found glowing in those areas? I will experiment too, but whatever the case, I was rescued 2x.

So, here it is March 2020, and we are all sheltering-in-place from the COVID-19 Pandemic. Had spent the better part of two days examining every nook and cranny of my Model X, and was just about to begin uninstalling the front seat(s). I went ahead and googled 'lost Model X key inside car', assuming I wouldn't get a hit with any useful advice. It led me to this thread. Not only was it highly suspenseful reading, it also solved the case. Never in a million years would I have looked under the 'trap-door' in the rear cargo area where the trunk connects.

And there it was.

THANK YOU!

So, here it is March 2020, and we are all sheltering-in-place from the COVID-19 Pandemic. Had spent the better part of two days examining every nook and cranny of my Model X, and was just about to begin uninstalling the front seat(s). I went ahead and googled 'lost Model X key inside car', assuming I wouldn't get a hit with any useful advice. It led me to this thread. Not only was it highly suspenseful reading, it also solved the case. Never in a million years would I have looked under the 'trap-door' in the rear cargo area where the trunk connects.

And there it was.

THANK YOU!

Hilarious! My wife and I got a kick out of your post, remembering our ordeal. I’m glad it was helpful to you.

Just lot my FOB in my Model X. Spent over an hour looking in the car. It's definitely in there since I can get in and drive the car. Like others here I placed on the foldable part of the center console, so that the heater would stay on for my daughter while I went to pick up food. I finally gave up but then found this awesome thread. I will go through each of the recommendations, wish me luck!

Just lot my FOB in my Model X. Spent over an hour looking in the car. It's definitely in there since I can get in and drive the car. Like others here I placed on the foldable part of the center console, so that the heater would stay on for my daughter while I went to pick up food. I finally gave up but then found this awesome thread. I will go through each of the recommendations, wish me luck!

That was quick, never knew the amount of room under the folding console (wireless phone charger door). Found it under there, good thing it didn't go any deeper. I could hardly see it through the console floor even using a flash light. I was able to see some of the brown leather from my FOB cover creeping through. The second picture I had to take blind by closing the console lid and placing the phone into the deeper console and hitting the button with flash on. IMG_2467.jpg IMG_2469.jpg

This thread is still relevant - just picked up a used model X and lost the fob almost immediately (gotta learn to leave it away, I habitually grab my keys on the way out the door from my pocket). A tip and another spot to add to the list of places to look So for the tip: my biggest concern when we identified the fob was in the car was that the real possibility anyone could walk up, open our car and drive away. So - enable pin to drive so that there is some protection, really annoying to do every time you park, but way better than coming outside to no car!

where did I find mine? Under the passenger seat IN the adjustment track. Best guess is that it slipped through the gap at the back of the seat where the back meets, from there it would fall under where there's a plastic shield and then a fabric net that kept it from falling on the floor. Then, I can only imagine that it hopped over and got to the track where movements must have wedged it in there. I had to search for it blindly, and I'll see if I can get a picture of the location, but I don't have much hopeI can get my phone in there.