TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

FOB Question - does it work from your pocket?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by timvracer, May 13, 2017.

1. timvracer

timvracer Member

My car (and FOB) is only 1 month old, but it seems my FOB has very little range. When I have the FOB in my front pocket, I often get the "Key is not in car, car will not restart" message on the panel. I then have to reach in and pull the key a bit further out of my pocket and then it will recognize it.

Shouldn't it work easily in my pocket? True in jeans, or even in really thin athletic shorts.

Anybody else have this issue? Or is this normal?

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

check the battery
    does this happen with both of your fobs

3. Doug4650

Doug4650 Member

I have kept the fob in my pocket from time to time and it works (2year old battery). I have had the car not see the fob once or twice when it is not in my pocket. I'm guessing that there was some kind of external interference.

4. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

What else is in your pocket? Phone? I'll get the "fob not present" error sometimes when my gym proxy key (on keychain) or phone is sitting right up against it in my pocket.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Same advice above, check other fob, then if it works better, check
    battery. Sometimes they're just bad from first use.

There's a few other things that I've found affect fob range significantly:
    1) rfid cards, usually corporate security badges and swipe badges for parking. It's less the interference and more that if they are in the way of the signal to the car they cause massive signal degradation.
    2) wallets. Again, I believe it's just the signal being blocked, though since the Costco card changed and I got a chase reserve card, this has been a major issue.

Nett: keep your fob in your right front pocket and don't keep wallet, keys, rfid badges in the same.

I note you're saying athletic shorts. No idea why these would be an issue, though I seem to remember some newer jeans ones have rfid shield pockets to stop being scanned...

• Like x 1
  6. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Yep, phone is another one. I also bet your gym fob is rfid :)

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

Yup, my BMW fob stops the Tesla fob from working. It's ok if it's the ONLY thing in your pocket...

8. timvracer

timvracer Member

My keychain has the fob for my work entry attached to it, I am guessing this is the problem. Thanks all!

9. Stiction

Stiction Member

Tight pants? I have had this happen when I wear slim jeans.
    If the top of the fob is continuously pressed when in your pocket, it doesn't work.

10. gfab333

gfab333 Member

I've had what you described happen to me a few times. It was usually one the items listed in this thread. We have to watch what we have in our pockets.

11. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

When I drive the kids to school and then back home to get ready for work I will put my iPhone and wallet and key in the little holder between the seats. Almost without fail I will get "key not present" If I simply move the key away the error goes away instantly. If I happen to put my iPhone and key in the same pocket like walking out from the store with arms loaded and approach the car, no self presenting door handles. My iPhone likes to overpower my key fob like a boss. LOL We have 3 cars and leave the keys on a desk inside the garage door. Neither my wife or me ever carries any other car key other than the one we are driving. Heck I don't even keep door keys in my pockets anymore because of the damage they do to fobs and pant pockets. Just a lone fob and NO IPHONE either. :)

12. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

The sensor is located somewhere on the drivers side low on the console area, according to what I was told by my Service Center when I reported a similar issue. The solution recommended was to keep the fob on the drivers right pocket or in a handbag that should be placed near the drivers side console area. Since following that advice we've never had a problem.

13. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Occasionally get "fob not in car" message w/ fob in jeans pocket along with RFID credit card. I now keep the fob in that little change pocket at the top of the right pocket and haven't had a problem since.

14. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the cupholders can be a dead zone for the car. leaving your phone and fob in there can be a disaster if you get locked out.