Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FOB Question - does it work from your pocket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car (and FOB) is only 1 month old, but it seems my FOB has very little range. When I have the FOB in my front pocket, I often get the "Key is not in car, car will not restart" message on the panel. I then have to reach in and pull the key a bit further out of my pocket and then it will recognize it.

Shouldn't it work easily in my pocket? True in jeans, or even in really thin athletic shorts.

Anybody else have this issue? Or is this normal?

Same advice above, check other fob, then if it works better, check
battery. Sometimes they're just bad from first use.

There's a few other things that I've found affect fob range significantly:
1) rfid cards, usually corporate security badges and swipe badges for parking. It's less the interference and more that if they are in the way of the signal to the car they cause massive signal degradation.
2) wallets. Again, I believe it's just the signal being blocked, though since the Costco card changed and I got a chase reserve card, this has been a major issue.

Nett: keep your fob in your right front pocket and don't keep wallet, keys, rfid badges in the same.

I note you're saying athletic shorts. No idea why these would be an issue, though I seem to remember some newer jeans ones have rfid shield pockets to stop being scanned...

Reactions: gfab333
When I drive the kids to school and then back home to get ready for work I will put my iPhone and wallet and key in the little holder between the seats. Almost without fail I will get "key not present" If I simply move the key away the error goes away instantly. If I happen to put my iPhone and key in the same pocket like walking out from the store with arms loaded and approach the car, no self presenting door handles. My iPhone likes to overpower my key fob like a boss. LOL We have 3 cars and leave the keys on a desk inside the garage door. Neither my wife or me ever carries any other car key other than the one we are driving. Heck I don't even keep door keys in my pockets anymore because of the damage they do to fobs and pant pockets. Just a lone fob and NO IPHONE either. :)

The sensor is located somewhere on the drivers side low on the console area, according to what I was told by my Service Center when I reported a similar issue. The solution recommended was to keep the fob on the drivers right pocket or in a handbag that should be placed near the drivers side console area. Since following that advice we've never had a problem.