TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

FOB went through the washer & dryer

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by WarrenInCA, Jun 2, 2015.

1. WarrenInCA

WarrenInCA Member

To my horror, I discovered my FOB had gone through the laundry. With reluctance I took the FOB to the garage. Would it still work??

IT WORKS!!

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it.

3. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

lucky you. Mine had a worse fate. Probably wouldn't have bought a new one if keyless driving on the iPhone was available at the time.

4. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Was it in a fob condom? ( AKA Abstract Oceans silicone fob holder). That looks like it might waterproof the fob.

5. WarrenInCA

WarrenInCA Member

The FOB was in a leather fob holder. Despite the FOB working fine last night, this morning I had some problems. The FOB buttons open the frunk, trunk and unlocks the car. However, the car won't start.

I took the battery out of it and will leave it open all day to dry it out. There is some evidence of moisture inside.

6. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

LOL. For the record, they're FobPockets, possibly also know as fob condoms, in Australia at least :) To my knowledge, there's been no unplanned fob babies, so they must be working.

7. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

You might want to try the "rice in a plastic bag" approach, to help it dry better.

8. juggie

juggie Member

I believe you are too late If this happens always remove battery asap and dry indeed with rice in a bag.

9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

<peeve>Fob INAN.</peeve>

(INAN = Is Not An Acronym.)

10. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

I was under the impression the Aussies referred to them as Fob Frangers. Back me up here, Dborn!

11. JohnnyLounge21

Second the notion on Frangers. Probably the best use for a fob protector that I could think of. . .

12. efxjim

efxjim Member

I had the same thing happen to my fob. The soap that is left in the fob is mildly conductive. I was using up a battery a week. I took the fob and placed it in wide mouth bottle and half filled it with very hot purified water (reverse osmosis ) distilled would also work. Proceeded to shake vigorously for several minutes then drained. Next I put denatured alcohol in the bottle and did the same. Followed up with more hot water. Blew it out with a compressor and let dry for a few hours in the sun. It is still on the same battery a year later.

13. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Here's one!

fob_tshirt-r6f5360bb36454731a8e02465fc00a8e3_f0c6y_324.jpg

14. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Generally speaking, the "rice in a plastic bag" idea is a poor choice for electronics. The main reason to get damage after water exposure is actually from impurities left in/on the circuit board potentially connecting transistors to cause a short. As such, the starchy dustiness of rice may hurt. Instead, I would follow this advice, but substitute those "Silicone - Do not eat" packets they put to managed humidity in shoeboxes and other such shipping boxes.