Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FOB went through the washer & dryer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was it in a fob condom? ( AKA Abstract Oceans silicone fob holder). That looks like it might waterproof the fob.

The FOB was in a leather fob holder. Despite the FOB working fine last night, this morning I had some problems. The FOB buttons open the frunk, trunk and unlocks the car. However, the car won't start.

I took the battery out of it and will leave it open all day to dry it out. There is some evidence of moisture inside.

The FOB was in a leather fob holder. Despite the FOB working fine last night, this morning I had some problems. The FOB buttons open the frunk, trunk and unlocks the car. However, the car won't start.

I took the battery out of it and will leave it open all day to dry it out. There is some evidence of moisture inside.

You might want to try the "rice in a plastic bag" approach, to help it dry better.

I had the same thing happen to my fob. The soap that is left in the fob is mildly conductive. I was using up a battery a week. I took the fob and placed it in wide mouth bottle and half filled it with very hot purified water (reverse osmosis ) distilled would also work. Proceeded to shake vigorously for several minutes then drained. Next I put denatured alcohol in the bottle and did the same. Followed up with more hot water. Blew it out with a compressor and let dry for a few hours in the sun. It is still on the same battery a year later.

LOL. For the record, they're FobPockets, possibly also know as fob condoms, in Australia at least :) To my knowledge, there's been no unplanned fob babies, so they must be working.

Here's one!

fob_tshirt-r6f5360bb36454731a8e02465fc00a8e3_f0c6y_324.jpg

You might want to try the "rice in a plastic bag" approach, to help it dry better.
I believe you are too late If this happens always remove battery asap and dry indeed with rice in a bag.

Generally speaking, the "rice in a plastic bag" idea is a poor choice for electronics. The main reason to get damage after water exposure is actually from impurities left in/on the circuit board potentially connecting transistors to cause a short. As such, the starchy dustiness of rice may hurt. Instead, I would follow this advice, but substitute those "Silicone - Do not eat" packets they put to managed humidity in shoeboxes and other such shipping boxes.