Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FOB Where do you buy it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless where you buy these you need to get them programmed to your car. You might get lucky if the key from ebay will work but make sure to bring all of your keys to service as this will override accessible keys to the car. If correct, you can have three fobs for one car.

Upvote 0
When in need of a new FOB for a MS 2015, do you buy it on Ebay or from Tesla? The price difference is significative.
I just place a service call in the app and mobile service came out programmed it and set it up in my Model S. I also decided to get the new Model S one with the higher security. I recall for the Model S, that Service or Mobile Service needed to program it into the vehicle.

Mine was a 2017 Model S.

Upvote 0
I already had 2 fobs that came with the car.
I bought a third one from Ebay. Had it programmed by an ex Tesla tecnician that has its owns business servicing teslas.
He had in hand the 3 fobs I own to do the programming of the new one. The new key works fine except for the message on my screen saying that the battery is low for the new fob.
I did buy 3 new batteries, verified the voltage, all where 3,2V or 3,3V. Rebooted the system with all 3 fobs at the base of the console. No change.
I sat in the driver seat, took the the battery out of the #3 fob, put it back in. The message went away for 10 seconds and then came back.
Did I miss something?
What else would you suggest me doing?

Upvote 0
I bought two fobs from ebay.

A ranger came to my place and coded the keys to the car. It only cost 18 euros! Ridiculous price! He said it was charge for 6 minutes work.
Was the new key you bought from eBay used or brand new? I also bought 2 from eBay but found out they are used and activated / tied to other Tesla vehicles. They work (not broken). Had Tesla Mobile Service come out yesterday they said if the key fob bought from Ebay was not deactivated from the vehicle it was activated for, they cannot reprogram it.

Upvote 0
I bought two fobs from ebay.

A ranger came to my place and coded the keys to the car. It only cost 18 euros! Ridiculous price! He said it was charge for 6 minutes work.

Do you happen to know what the part number was of the fobs you bought? I have a January 2013 S 85 and am going to buy a replacement fob and want to make sure I get the right one that can be programmed to my car.

Upvote 0
Do you happen to know what the part number was of the fobs you bought? I have a January 2013 S 85 and am going to buy a replacement fob and want to make sure I get the right one that can be programmed to my car.

My part number was 1455937-00-A, but please note that I'm from Europe and to my understanding USA uses different frequencies so you very likely need a different part.

And I had missed the question from @bkkballer , sorry. Yes my keys were brand new, in unopened Tesla packaging.

Reactions: iamthewaughrus
Upvote 0
My part number was 1455937-00-A, but please note that I'm from Europe and to my understanding USA uses different frequencies so you very likely need a different part.

And I had missed the question from @bkkballer , sorry. Yes my keys were brand new, in unopened Tesla packaging.
Yes, but that is helpful because it sounds like it corresponds to the newer US part 1455940-00-A, as opposed to the original part 1007492-00-F. I assume that fob was for your 2014 P85+ ?

Upvote 0