Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fob won't unlock car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's properly paired it should be able to unlock the car even with a dead remote battery.

Use it the way you do the key card - place it on the B pillar and console the same as the key card.

The only Model 3 listed that I can see is the $150 newly featured passive entry one. I can't see the old one without that feature anymore.

Model 3 Key Fob
i went to your link and then clicked on info this is what it say.

Model 3 Key Fob

The Model 3 Key Fob – shaped like a miniature version of your Model 3 – offers an alternate way to access your car. It is ideal for owners who don’t use the Phone Key feature on their smartphone.

Press the top of the Key Fob once to lock your Model 3 and twice to unlock; press twice on the front or rear trunk to open them. Unlike the Phone Key and the Model S and Model X Key Fobs, the Model 3 Key Fob does not support passive entry.

...Unlike the Phone Key and the Model S and Model X Key Fobs, the Model 3 Key Fob does not support passive entry.

That is the support page that is now obsolete.

The current one is on its pricing page:

Model 3 Key Fob
$150

This item is out of stock
Email me when this item is restocked
Description
No hands required. Locking and unlocking your Model 3 has never been easier. Keep your key fob in your pocket and simply pull on the door handle for easy entry. Same with the trunk. Your key fob is automatically enabled when you pair with your vehicle.

Gift box includes key fob and coin cell batteries.

Can we trade in are old non-passive fobs v1? My passive phone entry never worked reliably despite trying everything. Even with the fob v1, I am often digging for my keys in my pocket to place it on the center console. The entry theatrics and the lack of screen mirroring with my phone are what have my Tesla as the back-up car.

...Even with the fob v1, I am often digging for my keys in my pocket to place it on the center console...

Not a good sign. Hopefully, M3FobV2 fixes this!

...Can we trade in are old non-passive fobs v1?...

It's a good idea to keep customers happy, especially to encourage early adopters too but I don't know Tesla is receptive because of the money issue.

...confirmation

Just got it from the mail.

Confirmed that it works as advertised.

It comes in a nice box with 1 fob with the word "Tesla" on the back (not older word "Model 3") and 2 Panasonic CR-2032 button batteries.

It's disappointing that it does not come with a keychain for the price of $150 plus tax so I have to take time to buy one separately.

The programming is straight forward: Place your fob on the cupholder and it asks to place a keycard on to confirm then it will appear on the screen as "unknown key" and then you can edit its name.

It acts like a key card or a phone except that I don't need to take it out of my pocket to approach the car or walk away from the car.

Approaching the car seems not to create any reactions, no lights or noise for acknowledgment but when you push the handle to open, that's when it automatically unlocks for you.

Walking away from your car would result in a brief horn noise to confirm that it's automatically locked.

Of course, you can double click your fob to open doors, frunk, trunk or single click to lock.

Very nice over all!

• Informative
Reactions: mrau and N5329K