TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fobless entry...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Hawesome, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Hawesome

Hawesome Member

Has there been any news about allowing our phone to 'unlock car', like the model 3 without physically opening the app?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Which car, the S? I believe it can’t because of the different/added BT antenna that would be needed to have it work on walkup unlock like the 3 does. (Using only a phone’s BT.)

I’ve read some posts that say all three cars have different hardware as of now so perhaps whenever the new hardware refresh comes out, something like this would be included. But that’s all conjecture. Retrofit doesn’t seem likely.

3. trm2

trm2 Member

iOS has a widget that will do that kind of.

4. Hawesome

Hawesome Member

I am an android user...anything for that?

5. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Nope, only that Elon has said it will come to all S&X cars.

• Like x 1
  6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

According to Elon, all S/X, even first production, will get this feature... Of course, in the past 3 years I've heard him claim a lot of features we'll be getting, that never happened too, so who knows.

• Like x 1
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, I recall that now. Not sure how they will do it mechanically (as it were). Should be interesting to see how this turns out! :D

All I can think of is better geofencing since the app does it now by you pressing a button. If it knew exactly where you were....

I still don’t see how with the hardware the older cars have how it can work like the fobs do or like the 3.

8. gt2690b

gt2690b Member

I don't see why it needs BLE when regular Bluetooth pairing should suffice for communication

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

The way Elon's tweet reads: He plans to just utilize the current Bluetooth pairing connection. Once you are within range of the car, and the phone establishes the Bluetooth connection, it will gain you access. Honestly, I'm not sure how much I like that though....

10. gt2690b

gt2690b Member

why not?? you can always disable it or turn it off

11. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

I'm not saying I am against them adding the feature (although I would be if they don't give us the option to disable it; which you do not know that they will, sooo.... you can't say that).

What I'm not a fan of is this design implementation. Standard Bluetooth takes too long to pair and it can't start the process until you are already on-top of the car. It also means that it will be trying to steal my phone calls and streaming audio, every time I walk by the car. It's annoying enough that it steals my calls when I summon the car, even though I haven't opened a door yet.

12. jlund

jlund Member

We lost one fob for our X so I’d love for this to roll out soon and work even remotely similar to model 3.

$300 CAD for a new fob isn’t very appealing.

13. Chaserr

Chaserr Hyperactive Hyperdrive

Bluetooth turns on my phone's audio before I get into the car right now, but I still have to be right next to the car (or maybe it's paired when I start opening the door?) so pairing is fairly quick but probably very short range.