Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fobless entry...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which car, the S? I believe it can’t because of the different/added BT antenna that would be needed to have it work on walkup unlock like the 3 does. (Using only a phone’s BT.)

I’ve read some posts that say all three cars have different hardware as of now so perhaps whenever the new hardware refresh comes out, something like this would be included. But that’s all conjecture. Retrofit doesn’t seem likely.

Which car, the S? I believe it can’t because of the different/added BT antenna that would be needed to have it work on walkup unlock like the 3 does. (Using only a phone’s BT.)

I’ve read some posts that say all three cars have different hardware as of now so perhaps whenever the new hardware refresh comes out, something like this would be included. But that’s all conjecture. Retrofit doesn’t seem likely.
According to Elon, all S/X, even first production, will get this feature... Of course, in the past 3 years I've heard him claim a lot of features we'll be getting, that never happened too, so who knows.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yeah, I recall that now. Not sure how they will do it mechanically (as it were). Should be interesting to see how this turns out! :D

All I can think of is better geofencing since the app does it now by you pressing a button. If it knew exactly where you were....

I still don’t see how with the hardware the older cars have how it can work like the fobs do or like the 3.

Yeah, I recall that now. Not sure how they will do it mechanically (as it were). Should be interesting to see how this turns out! :D

All I can think of is better geofencing since the app does it now by you pressing a button. If it knew exactly where you were....

I still don’t see how with the hardware the older cars have how it can work like the fobs do or like the 3.
The way Elon's tweet reads: He plans to just utilize the current Bluetooth pairing connection. Once you are within range of the car, and the phone establishes the Bluetooth connection, it will gain you access. Honestly, I'm not sure how much I like that though....

why not?? you can always disable it or turn it off
I'm not saying I am against them adding the feature (although I would be if they don't give us the option to disable it; which you do not know that they will, sooo.... you can't say that).

What I'm not a fan of is this design implementation. Standard Bluetooth takes too long to pair and it can't start the process until you are already on-top of the car. It also means that it will be trying to steal my phone calls and streaming audio, every time I walk by the car. It's annoying enough that it steals my calls when I summon the car, even though I haven't opened a door yet.

Bluetooth turns on my phone's audio before I get into the car right now, but I still have to be right next to the car (or maybe it's paired when I start opening the door?) so pairing is fairly quick but probably very short range.