Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fobo Tire Pressure monitor for smart phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
without the in-car unit you only get the basic very low pressure alert, not the user-settable other levels. I set mine to alert at 2 lbs down from normal, so I can keep them at optimal pressure and know about any possible problem well before the tire gets damaged or flat..

without the in-car unit you only get the basic very low pressure alert, not the user-settable other levels. I set mine to alert at 2 lbs down from normal, so I can keep them at optimal pressure and know about any possible problem well before the tire gets damaged or flat..

Could you elaborate? I didn't understand... so without the in-car unit my app will alert at what level? I set the pressure to 310 KPa and set the lower/higher numbers by default. Is that good enough? Should I change the settings?

BTW went to my tire shop to rotate my tires. They insisted to re-balance, so I asked him to do. Actually, I felt very slight loss of steering directness at very high speed [emoji33]
What we found was that we needed around 25-30g of balance after FOBO sensors are installed.

If you don not have the in-car unit, it only will alert at the pre-programmed low level, which is pretty low (see own'er manual, I don't remember what it is), and therefore isn't much more help than the built-in TPMS in the car...with the in-car, you get the programmable low and high, which I set for 2 lbs low and 6 lbs high - I want to know if the pressure starts drifting down, but the high has to accommodate additional pressure from any lengthy drive raising the team and pressure. You can reset the individual high and low after you set the basic desired inflation pressure...

Are you sure that your tires were balanced perfectly before installing the Fobos? I didn't balance and the car feels fine, no vibration at any speed, but I don't know if it is slightly out due to the fobos...

If you don not have the in-car unit, it only will alert at the pre-programmed low level, which is pretty low (see own'er manual, I don't remember what it is), and therefore isn't much more help than the built-in TPMS in the car...with the in-car, you get the programmable low and high, which I set for 2 lbs low and 6 lbs high - I want to know if the pressure starts drifting down, but the high has to accommodate additional pressure from any lengthy drive raising the team and pressure. You can reset the individual high and low after you set the basic desired inflation pressure...

Are you sure that your tires were balanced perfectly before installing the Fobos? I didn't balance and the car feels fine, no vibration at any speed, but I don't know if it is slightly out due to the fobos...

Thanks for the info. I now understand how it works.

Re balance, yes the same tire shop balanced wheels before fobo.

New version with iOS 9 support released today, yay! Notes also say Apple Watch support coming in next release...

Just received my FOBO kit and have a question for any of the resident FOBO gurus:

Out of 4 tires only one show a decimal point number the others are all showing "..." Ex RL shows 42.2 and all others show 42... Have I done something wrong in my setup?

View attachment 89236

I received an email from James at Salutica that he asked me to share with everyone here. The FOBO apps will soon be able to share the tire pressure information so that the person receiving the information does not need to be in close proximity to the car. The information I received is below. I followed up to ask if the iPhone app and the android app would "talk" to each other, and was assured that they will. Here's the information I received:

"Finally, I am happy to announce that the Foboshare Push/Pull feature is now available in the latest iOS app v.3.8 from AppleStore. The latest app will be compatible to iOS9, and it will also update setting changes made by Fobosharer to Fobosharee’s phone, if they are on the Foboshare list.

Push-Pull feature

1.Here’s how it works; both sharer and sharee must have the latest app v 3.8.
2. If vehicle is with sharee, sharer can go to Foboshare list, click on the sharee’s email, and click ‘Pull data from this shared vehicle’. Sharer will receive latest pressure data, and depending on data connection speed, it will take between 1.5 to 5 min.
3. If sharee wishes to push data to sharer, sharee just need to click setting (blue gear for iphone), and the prompt box will have a new command ‘Push data to vehicle owner’. Just click this command and the vehicle owner (sharer) will receive updata pressure data within 1.5-5 minutes!

The Android version will be available in 7 days from now."

FYI: It was mentioned on some thread that version 7 of the Firmware would support actual numbers for the Stock Tesla TPMS. No confirmation, and it was only one poster---I will try to find the thread.

The TPMS system app in V7.0 will only work in Tesla's with the Continental TPMS sensors. These went into cars about the same time as the Autopilot sensors (VIN 55000 or so). Classic MS can have the Conti TPMS sensors retrofitted at the cost of $1000. You can find more info on that here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/55639-TPMS-display-in-V7-0-with-older-sensors.

Peace,

Father Bill