Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog lamps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi

I recently bought a 2014 MS 85, lovely car. The window sticker says fog lamps included, however I don’t see a fog light option in lighting control screen nor do I see fog lights in the front fixtures. Any idea if they forgot to include? Or was fog lights a different option for oct production 2014 MS’s? Car has tech package. Thanks in advance for the help!

Interesting story: There was a period of time where Tesla decided the original fog lights, like I have on my 2013, were not good enough and decided to re-design them. A number of people who ordered cars with the fog light option noticed the same thing you did: The fog lights were missing and there was a plastic plug in the housing where they were supposed to be. After some time, Tesla agreed to retrofit these cars with the new-style fog lights for owners who complained about it.

It is conceivable that the previous owner of your car never bothered to have them installed. You could ask Tesla to investigate if your car was one of those that were supposed to have fog lights but fell in that gap where they were being re-designed. If so, Tesla might throw you a bone and install them.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Interesting, I think that may be the case. There are no fog light options in the center mcu and the fog light fixtures currently have black plastic plugs. I will try to have them investigate and address at my next annual service. Any one else have this issue and get it addressed? Thanks

Interesting story: There was a period of time where Tesla decided the original fog lights, like I have on my 2013, were not good enough and decided to re-design them. A number of people who ordered cars with the fog light option noticed the same thing you did: The fog lights were missing and there was a plastic plug in the housing where they were supposed to be. After some time, Tesla agreed to retrofit these cars with the new-style fog lights for owners who complained about it.

It is conceivable that the previous owner of your car never bothered to have them installed. You could ask Tesla to investigate if your car was one of those that were supposed to have fog lights but fell in that gap where they were being re-designed. If so, Tesla might throw you a bone and install them.

Same thing happened with my mid-2013 build S (see my sig below). Fog lights promised/ordered but missing due to gap in parts/configuration. I had them retrofit/installed later on my request.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
8850114634_9c84353ffa_b.jpg

Just a pic for comparison: The car above has chrome trim near the fog's. And the car below does not have the chrome trim. That's how you know whether or not you have fog lamps.
2017-tesla-model-s-p100d-front-end.jpg

Just because you have that black plug, does not mean you will get a free retrofit. When I got my 2013, I finalized the order just a week after they removed fog lights from the feature list on the web site. As a result, I had to pay if I wanted them. Only if the original owner finalized their order while the lights were listed would you get the free retro fit. Just ask the service center and they should be able to tell you if you have to pay or get them for free based on the VIN.

Thanks for all the great info, mine has the chrome trim near the fog lamp structure. My window sticker was 09/14 but manufacturing date was mid /late October with 12/30/14 delivery. Not sure if that falls in the window of fog light swaperoo. Will talk with SC to see what the deal is.

Just a pic for comparison: The car above has chrome trim near the fog's. And the car below does not have the chrome trim. That's how you know whether or not you have fog lamps.

That was not always the case. There was a period of time early on where the extra chrome came on cars with one of the early premium upgrade packages. For a while you could get the upgrade package that included HID headlights over the then standard Halogens and it included the extra chrome, but not the fogs, which were part of a separate package.

Just because you have that black plug, does not mean you will get a free retrofit.

That's right. And there were a few luck ones who had their Gen 1 fogs replaced with Gen 2 because they were so close to the switchover. My Feb 2013 car was "too early" for the upgrade. As far as I'm concerned, my fog lights, which are largely "decorative" these days, are just fine.

• Informative
Reactions: P85DBeast
Can anyone share with me on what the dealership did to add the fog light option please? I have a 2016 MS non tech package and I installed tech package Tesla oem fog lights. Everything was plug and play. The led bar lights up fine, but I don’t have a way to turn on the fog lights as there is no toggle button on my screen. I’m currently working my local Tesla tech to try and figure out how to enable.

If you were able to retrofit and enabled your foglight option, please send me the last 6 of your vin. The tech can review and see what was done and try to enable for me. Thanks!

Below is the original post I followed to install:

Replacing Model S Fog Light.. Help!!

I had my fog lights retrofitted a few months after taking delivery of my mid-2013 S85 (VIN P09667). There was a period where the marketing/bundled options did not match production, and my fog lights got ommitted. Got them retrofitted at the Tesla service center. Not sure what they needed to do with the firmware. No other details available.

Does the fog lights actually do anything? Yes I know they turn on, but I don’t see any material difference to the lighting or experience. In my books, this is kind of like the adaptive cornering lights, checks a check box on the spec sheet, but doesn’t actually so anything.

I think the headlights on th model s is poor all around, and I would expect this to be the next item to be improved upon. Not going to sweat it though... not like MCU2.

I think the headlights on th model s is poor all around, and I would expect this to be the next item to be improved upon. Not going to sweat it though... not like MCU2.
Actually they have recently been upgraded, yes. My car was delivered with the poor headlights, but then late January I had them replaced due to fogging and the new ones were way brighter.

I talked with SC about this last week and they confirmed they had been upgraded and that my new headlights were the upgraded ones. The lighting quality is a dramatic improvement, though peripheral lighting could be better.

That being said, I have a loaner this week equipped with the fog lamps and those are far from just cosmetic upgrades, they are pretty darn efficient with peripheral vision. I will be inquiring with SC when I get my car back about having these fog lamps retrofitted to my car.

IMO they're an important safety equipment so I think Tesla should actually make them standard to allow everyone to have access to the same safety features.

• Informative
Reactions: Snowstorm
Tell us more about the lights before and after. When did u got your original vehicle? Did the lamps look physically different in anyway? Are they still LED reflectors?
Mine was delivered end of Sept 2017.

The headlights to me don't seem any different so my best guess would be that they simply turned the power up or upgraded to more powerful LEDs but they are still reflector headlights, pretty sure of that.

Thanks for all the great info, mine has the chrome trim near the fog lamp structure. My window sticker was 09/14 but manufacturing date was mid /late October with 12/30/14 delivery. Not sure if that falls in the window of fog light swaperoo. Will talk with SC to see what the deal is.
I had a 2013 ordered 8/30 delivered beginning of November. At that time the fog lights were a $500 option (which I ordered and it came with them).