Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog light assembly: Tech Package vs. no Tech Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zdre

40kWh Model S, Model 3LR
Jan 18, 2010
St. Louis
It turns out that without the tech package, the fog light assembly is significantly different. There is no fog light, cornering light, or LED light pipe.
Without tech package, the fins next to the fog light assembly and the rear air diffuser are black instead of chrome.
It does not appear the the design studio renderings reflect these differences.

With Tech Package:
tech.jpg

Without Tech Package:
notech.jpg

Last edited:
On another local St. Louis car, the lack of tech package omitted the chrome caps on the fins to the inside of the light assemblies (leaving them solid black), although the picture you posted looks like it's there on your example.

On another local St. Louis car, the lack of tech package omitted the chrome caps on the fins to the inside of the light assemblies (leaving them solid black), although the picture you posted looks like it's there on your example.

No, they are all black, although the reflection of the sky makes them look like chrome in the picture.

The site has removed any mention of fog lights with the Tech Pkg and my DS told me they were told to stop mentioning fog lights. I discovered mine don't work in the daytime (even turning on low beams and fogs manually) but they do work after dark. At first I thought my car was delivered without them. I wonder if the assembly is being changed again to eliminate fogs and they're just using up inventory...

The site has removed any mention of fog lights with the Tech Pkg and my DS told me they were told to stop mentioning fog lights. I discovered mine don't work in the daytime (even turning on low beams and fogs manually) but they do work after dark. At first I thought my car was delivered without them. I wonder if the assembly is being changed again to eliminate fogs and they're just using up inventory...

Unlikely. Most deliveries got the tech package, so we never got to see what their light assembly looked like. Still don't have a clear idea of the differences in appearance of the headlights. The Tech package always advertised coming with the fogs and cornering lamps, and the non-tech package never did. Don't know why the fogs were removed from the website. It's clear that they are part of the tech package. My belief is that the folks who ordered more basic-featured cars (standard suspension, no tech package, cloth interior) are getting them now, and we will see more differences. We already have a good idea about the seat differences, though.

Very interesting - had no idea fogs were only included w Tech Pack. But of greater interst is that, even thogh I have the Tech Package, I never knew I had cornering headlamps - is this really true? Cool!

It's quite apparent (at least to me) at night. Years ago I had a car with cornering lights, but it was based on the turn signals being on. with my Model S it seems to be a function of how far the wheel is turned in one direction or the other.