Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog light for 2021 SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyways these are the foglights that came in yesterday. They are huge compare to what you see on the car, it looks hella good though! Can’t wait to have them installed.

2C240B59-C842-4806-BEFA-F7BA9566DABC.jpeg
3646E8F8-7B0A-4508-A821-8F62060677AC.jpeg

Reactions: jacksterCali
Just installed some OEM foglights on my new SR+ (purchased locally from someone who switched to Euro versions). For those who don't know, the SR+ has "dummy" housings that look very similar to the actual foglights, but there no actual LED's other than the yellow sidemarker (circled in red). The actual foglights that come on the LR and Performance versions add the white LED strip and LED foglight (circled in green). The Euro foglight version deletes the yellow sidemarker and the adjacent yellow reflector.

factory fog.PNG

This YouTube video is very helpful in removing/installing the foglights as well as splicing the wires to power the additional lights. Note that the 2021 wiring colors have changed, but all you have to do is splice the center wire on the harness to the non-black wire (black is ground) and you're good. I do, however, have the following tips:

1) After you've installed the foglight and putting back together the wheel well liner, DO NOT reinstall the 3 clips yet (highlighted in red) that run along the edge of the bumper. This will allow you to "peel back" the wheel well liner and use a 10 mm socket screwdriver to rotate the vertical adjustment knob (highlighted in green).

clips.jpg
adjust.jpg

2) Proper aiming. Use a large empty parking garage, since they have extremely level surfaces. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Turn on the "parking lights" and that will turn on the fog lights WITHOUT turning on the headlights. The front of the car should be 25-feet back from a wall. Measure the height from the ground to the center of the foglight (mine was 17 inches). When the car is 25-feet from a wall, the top of the foglight beam should be 4-inches less that the foglight's height (so the top of the beam in my case is 13 inches above the ground).

IMG_20210821_184619201.jpg

3) After correctly aiming your foglight, now go ahead in install the 6 clips in the wheel well liner (3 on each side). Enjoy!

Also note: The foglight is held in place via 4 slots for clips that run along the top of the housing (highlighted in red) and 3 T25 screws on the tabs (highlighted in green). There are also 2 tabs (highlighted in yellow) to secure a factory wiring harness. You see plenty of OEM fog lights for sale on E-Bay with "broken" or "repaired" tabs. Avoid any fog light with broken/repaired green tabs, 1 broken red tab is probably OK, and 1 broken yellow tab is probably OK. Can't speak to the quality of aftermarket (non OEM) fog lights, but I generally don't trust those. They may look nice brand new but may start to yellow, clear coat peel, etc. in a few years.

tabs.PNG

Last edited:
Sorry for resurrecting and old thread here but I wanted to ask: Is is possible to isolate the LED strip from the actual fog lights? I'd like to have the strip illuminated for appearance sake but leave the fogs off. Thx
If you just want the strip, buy the fog light assemblies and direct swap them in with no wiring modifications. The strip already works as intended.

Reactions: Graham J
I know for a fact that previous generation had it on SR+, I believe the 2018 or 2019 had it then it was discontinued.
I have a 2021 which doesn’t have it but I’m glad it didn’t because now I can get the clear one without the amber reflector :)
Correct - my 2019 SR+ included fog lights from the factory. Sometime after that, Tesla discontinued including fog lights on the Standard Range and made it exclusive to the Long Range and Performance models