Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog light for 2021 SR+?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I’m trying to find the euro version clear (non amber) for my US built 2021 SR+
All the sellers I find on aliexpress and eBay have the fog lights but they’re all for 2018-2020.
One of them told me that the plug for 2021 changed? Trying not to spend over $250 for a new pair. Any help would be awesome!

The plug is the same on the 2021. I installed the euro fog lights from a 2020 with no problem. The only thing that's different if you're following a guide, is that the colors on the wires are slightly different. If you're going to wire it the fogs to the ambient light to turn on, it's the middle wire (purple). Cut that and connect (red+purple) to get the fogs to light.

Attachments

• 59aMAEu.jpg
    59aMAEu.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 6,255
The plug is the same on the 2021. I installed the euro fog lights from a 2020 with no problem. The only thing that's different if you're following a guide, is that the colors on the wires are slightly different. If you're going to wire it the fogs to the ambient light to turn on, it's the middle wire (purple). Cut that and connect (red+purple) to get the fogs to light.
Can you please link me to the seller you got it from? I can’t seem to find the previous thread on this and I was looking for your post!

Reactions: Hi_Im_Mike
Thank you! Offer accepted at $260usd nice!

also during daytime without lowbeams on does the white bar stay on without the fog light?
Is the yellow turn signal sequential? Do you have any more demo video or photos?

Last edited:
Thank you! Offer accepted at $260usd nice!

also during daytime without lowbeams on does the white bar stay on without the fog light?
Is the yellow turn signal sequential? Do you have any more demo video or photos?
During daytime without the low beams on, all that will be on are the DRLs in the headlights, nothing will be lit in the fog light housing.

When you parking lights are on, the white bar, and the fog light will be lit.
When your low beams are on, the white bar and fog light will be lit.

There is no amber in this light at all. Lights or reflectors. Your turn signals are in the headlight housings.

During daytime without the low beams on, all that will be on are the DRLs in the headlights, nothing will be lit in the fog light housing.

There is no amber in this light at all. Lights or reflectors. Your turn signals are in the headlight housings.
Ahhh that’s a shame. I though the led bar would be on during the day and fog lights on during the night like how it’s supposed to be. I swear I saw sequential amber turn signal somewhere online previously.

No, SR+ doesnt come with fog lights. If you found something from tesla that states it does, please post it (note, anything stating "premium interior" does not include the SR+)
I assumed they were talking about the holder itself and not the led strip and bulb inside so I called up my local Tesla dealer and they confirmed with me that the Tesla model 3 SR+ 2021 should come with the led and white bulb I asked this 2 times to two different employees. Though based upon my research I haven’t seen that

Attachments

• F1DA6638-BE40-424E-A760-DFB15E2519F2.jpeg
    F1DA6638-BE40-424E-A760-DFB15E2519F2.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 669
I assumed they were talking about the holder itself and not the led strip and bulb inside so I called up my local Tesla dealer and they confirmed with me that the Tesla model 3 SR+ 2021 should come with the led and white bulb I asked this 2 times to two different employees. Though based upon my research I haven’t seen that
I know for a fact that previous generation had it on SR+, I believe the 2018 or 2019 had it then it was discontinued.
I have a 2021 which doesn’t have it but I’m glad it didn’t because now I can get the clear one without the amber reflector :)

I know for a fact that previous generation had it on SR+, I believe the 2018 or 2019 had it then it was discontinued.
I have a 2021 which doesn’t have it but I’m glad it didn’t because now I can get the clear one without the amber reflector :)
I’m sorry I’m brand new to this what are the amber reflectors and would you mind telling me where you get them and how to install them?

I just received my fog lights and they look brand spanking new!
Did you receive any wiring with the lights or no?
I haven’t taken my fog lights out yet, I will have my mechanic do this later on but wondering if I need anything else before hanind him the foglights and the car.

Lol, the fog lights are like 5W and are way too close to the ground to dazzle other drivers.

fine... i get it... its not your fault. America has no real driving test and no real driving education. Stomp the pedal pass your test, behave like an idiot on the road not to your own fault (australia is for the most part the same). But dont then pretend like you know what you are talking about.

Anyway the following will help you if you ever have to take theory lessons/tests in europe:

The fog lights are traditionally used instead of the headlights in dense fog. Such fog is commonish in europe but not really in america, i suspect that is the reason why in america foglights were never really a thing (and not really needed either).

If you have dense fog and you use your headlights you get a reflection which is blinding back. In that case you switch the headlights off and instead switch the front foglights on. those are mounted lower in the car and are meant to undercut the fog while at the same time spreading the light more sideways so you get some good light with the fog reflecting it back (but not in your face as its mounted lower) and distance isnt too much of an issue as you can only see a few meters anyway. You then pair this with your partner car in front of you switching his rear foglight on so you can trail him and he can also see you by looking at your lower foglights.

The problem is now if you just put the front foglights on for looks while its dry its probably not too bad. however, due to the low mounting point if you put them on in light rain or while you drive through puddles you can get glare momentarily dazzeling oncoming traffic. that can actually be kind of a big issue when you have this drizziling rain we get in europe all the time. They also illuminate too much sidewards which can cause glare onto oncoming traffic from roadside reflections. For this reason fog lights stay off when you dont need them. Some cars have the DRLs integrated into the foglight. usually they are in low power mode when not used in foglight mode which means they arent bright enough to cause glare.

A rear fog light is just too bright. Some idiots in Australia here like to drive around with them on and it makes it a) really hard to identify the brake lights and b) its really hard to take your eyes off the rear foglight when its used in good conditions. your eyes just get magically sucked to this light to the point where its hard to pay attention to other stuff in traffic. For this reason it stays off until visibility drops low enough that this isnt an issue. It can also be useful to put it on in heavy rain where the intensity isnt too much of an issue. I usually put mine on when we get a monsoon shower here where you can only see few meters in front of your car.

Last edited:
As much as I admire the effort, attempting to educate the public (enthusiast or not) is sadly a futile endevor. Waste of your time, but if you don't mind, more power to you.

There is another 'fun' little flavor of fog light mis-use that applies to EMEA/APAC spec cars or EMEA/APAC brands model cars (especially if a given model is manufactured or assembled in the Americas) and sold in North American markets.

These car often come equipped with the EU and select Asian market regulation rear fog light integrated into typically the driver's side taillight assembly and operated by a unified or a dedicated rear fog switch.

Enter owner ignorance and you end up with many VAG or BMW, Mercedes models driving around with their rear fog either a. permanently on (user error or deliberate non-fog condition use of fogs and ignorance of rear fog light) or b. rear fog incorrectly re-wired by repair shops so that is is always on or comes on with the application of the brakes.

Either scenario is far too common and certainly subject to the 'magnet' effect you described above.