TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fog Light Question...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by bareyb, Sep 7, 2013.

1. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

We really don't have "Fog" here, but I wouldn't mind a bit better illumination at night. Do they turn on with the main headlights or do you have to turn them on manually each time? I assume if you turn them on, then they stay on or do they reset to "off" each time you shut off the car? If anyone knows...

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I turned mine on once, they add almost no additional illumination--never bothered turning them on again. Because they have a button in the settings, I assume they will turn on at all times the headlights are on.

Note that fog lights are mostly just irritating to other drivers. Because many jurisdictions have laws that say the headlights must be on when the fog lights are on, they are pretty useless for their original purpose.

3. steve841

steve841 Active Member

There is a selection for fog lights in the settings menu ... Once selected, they remain on when the headlights are on. No need to reactivate.

4. liuping

liuping Active Member

Do you have the original or the redesigned fog lights?

5. TommyBoy

TommyBoy Member

There's a video somewhere online of the new fog lights in operation at night. They make a huge difference on very dark roads. The video is taken at night along unlit winding roads in what appears to be hills/mountains. The original poster said that the fog lights on the original Model S were worthless and that the newly-designed ones make a huge difference for night driving so your question is important.

6. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Thanks TommyBoy. I decided to go ahead and order them. I live in the Foothills and the option for extra lighting seems too good to pass up. I added the Parking Sensors too. ;)

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Original, but I've found fog lights on other cars (including German ones) to be no better.

8. olanmills

olanmills Member

You can't turn on the fog lights unless the headlights are also on. My old car allowed the fog lights to be on without the headlights.

9. TylerCA

TylerCA Member

Would you happen to have the link? I couldn't find it on a search. I'm in the process of speccing the car out and the fogs are one of the items I'm on the fence with.