Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fog lights 2021 MIC M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a LR M3 soonish and had a question after I saw a video on YouTube.. what fog lights they come equipped with?
The video I saw only had an icon for the rear fog light but even that was greyed out for some reason.

cheers!

I'm still bemused by fog lights - I like to have them, in fact I've retro fitted them on cars in the past, but..... genuinely how often do we need to use them? In my many years of driving I reckon I can count on the fingers of one hand, when visibility has been such that having them on helped rather than hindered. In my youth I would use the front ones coz it made me look cool (yes it flippin did 🤣) and the rear ones to indicate to others (once in front of them) that they had them on unnecessarily. Now I'm a little more mature, I tut loudly!

I rarely use them, maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

However, in very thick fog they really help with visibility of the road edges ahead. Full beam just glares straight back, like a white sheet over the windscreen.

So it's one of those, very rarely happens but when it does it's very beneficial.

I rarely use them, maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

However, in very thick fog they really help with visibility of the road edges ahead. Full beam just glares straight back, like a white sheet over the windscreen.

So it's one of those, very rarely happens but when it does it's very beneficial.
Past two cars have been Mercs which dont have fog lights nowadays, instead the matrix LED’s are supposed to do their fancy thing and illuminate low down and more dispersed just like fog lights but it’s rubbish, the light is still emanating from bonnet level and all you see is a halo above the bonnet. Quite looking forward to having conventional fog lights again!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Jez_GB
I'm still bemused by fog lights - I like to have them, in fact I've retro fitted them on cars in the past, but..... genuinely how often do we need to use them? In my many years of driving I reckon I can count on the fingers of one hand, when visibility has been such that having them on helped rather than hindered. In my youth I would use the front ones coz it made me look cool (yes it flippin did 🤣) and the rear ones to indicate to others (once in front of them) that they had them on unnecessarily. Now I'm a little more mature, I tut loudly!
I so recognize the "front fog lights are cool" youth. I did exactly the same.

I guess foglights are like smoke detectors. You should only use them really rarely but when you do need them, they are very important.

especially like Alic01 says if we have matrix LEDs or adaptive headlights that can point down more, maybe you don't need the additional bulbs?

I'm not sure if adaptive matrix lights would work particularly well like this.

A major benefit of fog lights is that they are mounted quite low so on most occasions be below the bottom of the fog. This means that the whole area can normally be illuminated without being dispersed by the fog. Normally the nearside/passenger side light is a pencil beam, or certainly was in my day, which allows you to pick out the edge of the road. The offside/drivers side is a much wider fan shape, but low so it stays below the fog.

If you have a light, such as a typical headlight, that originates from within the fog, then the light beam becomes a barrier as the light is scattered by the fog. So your visibility is much reduced as the fog becomes a glare of white. I don't think that a higher mounted light, even if shining down would be anywhere as good as a low mounted dedicated fog light, at least, not in the conditions when fog lights really come into their own.

Reactions: Mrklaw
I'm still bemused by fog lights - I like to have them, in fact I've retro fitted them on cars in the past, but..... genuinely how often do we need to use them? In my many years of driving I reckon I can count on the fingers of one hand, when visibility has been such that having them on helped rather than hindered.

Definitely agree there! On the few occasions of really thick fog I would always end up switching between dipped lights, full beam and fog lights just to see which worked best ... I think mostly they just made the fog look different rather than truly enabling a much better view of the road! If there's a well defined road edge low fogs should pick up that edge better but when it gets to that level of restricted visibility I'm practically down to walking pace anyway. (Weirdest fog experience was on a motorbike in the thickest fog you can get ... I started to lose any sense of actually being upright ... like flying through clouds in an aeroplane .. I really thought I was going to just fall over! Of course the headlight/s on a bike are even higher than on a car to they don't pick up the road surface right in front of you very well.)

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Jez_GB
I don't even know how to turn them on in the Model 3, that's how often I've needed them.

I agree with @Adopado that it generally doesn't help a great deal, in my experience anyway, to use your full beam or even foglights sometimes.

Reactions: Jez_GB

I suppose it's region specific. In the Cambridge area where I live I use them quite a few times in the colder days.
I work outside town, so I have a stretch of about 10 miles countryside narrow roads and visibility when leaving work at night is horrible when it's foggy.

I don't even know how to turn them on in the Model 3, that's how often I've needed them.

I agree with @Adopado that it generally doesn't help a great deal, in my experience anyway, to use your full beam or even foglights sometimes.
Don’t think I’ve ever turned front fogs on in any car that I’ve owned, rears yes. Just dipped beam is fine for me. The theory behind front fogs is low flat beam below fog level to prevent reflection from water droplets. Rectangular front fogs are supposed to be better than circular ones. (Ex vehicle sparky😉)

Reactions: MrT3