TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fog Lights: Auto?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by MiddKid, Apr 12, 2014.

1. MiddKid

MiddKid Member

This feels like a dumb question, but here I go.

When I picked up my MS two weeks ago the guy going through the controls told me to leave my lights in Auto. He indicated that the headlights come on when it's dark and the fog lights will come on when it's foggy. I've had auto-headlights in my cars for as long as I can remember so the auto headlights didn't surprise me...but auto fog lights? Sounded suspicious. Couldn't figure out how Tesla figured out that sensing technology!

Well, every time my headlights come on, my fogs come on too. I pulled up the manual online and despite it saying that fog lights are addressed on "Page 45" there is no reference to fog lights there. My conclusion:

- The guy giving me the walkthrough was wrong
    - The fogs work like every other fog light I've ever had...I turn them on and off manually

The alternative, of course, is that something is wrong with my "fog sensor" and they mistakenly come on every time the headlights are on but in this case I'm assuming my first gut reaction is right: fog lights aren't auto. True?

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Yes, he was wrong.

If set to ON, the come on with your headlights.

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

This.

4. apvbguy

apvbguy Banned

I've never owned a car where the fog lights could come on automatically the tesla is no different

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The Tesla employee who did the walk through with you on your new car was misinformed.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Someone needs to start a thread called "My fog sensor isn't working"...

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

My DS was also pretty "green" when I took delivery and didn't know some basic things, but he was young and pretty enthusiastic, so I understand if he couldn't answer every question definitively.

But wow, to make up that the fog lights have a "fog sensor" is really bad for Tesla customer service and education. It's one thing to not know something and ask someone else, but to fabricate nonsense on the spot to sound smart -- he or she should be reprimanded or fired. It makes me wonder what else he/she is mis-informing new owners about.