TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fog Lights Gone?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by mknox, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Was just looking at the (Canadian) Options and Pricing page and noticed that the Tech Package now mentions LED Cornering Lights, but no longer has any reference to the Fog Lights (that I'm pretty sure were there before).

I recall another thread where someone seemed to have "discovered" that their car had these cornering lights, but my question is, are the fog lights now gone?

2. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Nope. The fog lights are still there. I'm not sure why they put that there but I have fog lights and cornering lights. FYI the American Options and Pricing page looks the same.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I haven't got out of the car to look, but I'm pretty sure fog lights and cornering lights are the SAME lights. If the fog lights aren't on, then turning the wheel will turn on the one on that side of the car.

4. Hut

Hut Canada

You can see the discussion here:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/7686-Model-S-subsite-and-design-studio-being-updated/page8?p=274915&viewfull=1#post274915

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Thanks. I missed that discussion.

I had thought that the fog and cornering lights were in the same assembly, but that there were two distinct bulbs. I think there is still a Fog Light setting in the control screen, right? Is it that you can turn on both fogs with that setting, but if they're off one or the other fog light will come on when you turn (and not a separate bulb)?

6. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

The cornering lights and the fog lights project different light onto the road. I haven't looked at the front of the car with these lights on but I have driven with the fog lights on, and you can see the cornering lights turn on and off while turning the wheel.

I expect there are 3 distinct lights. Led accent lighting. Led foglamp (I can see this one it is seperate). Cornering lamp.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Okay, sounds like mknox is correct, then, the fog lamp assemblies must contain more than one bulb.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Odd then that the Options & Pricing page would drop the reference to Fog Lights (unless they actually have dropped fog light bulbs). You'd think Tesla would want to show more, not fewer things in the list of items for that particular $4,000 CDN package.

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Had a look at the car in the Toronto store yesterday. It looks like there are three lamps: fog, cornering and a strip of what I assume is accent lighting in the assembly. Still wonder why they dropped the reference to fog lights and wonder if this assembly has been changed to exclude the fog light component.

10. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

The cornering lights are led, but have a feeling the fog lights are not.

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I posted a diagram some time ago, showing the arrangement of the lights. Here it is again...

IMG_1207.jpg

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I should have taken a picture, but I'm pretty sure the car in the Toronto store looks different. There was definitely some sort of accent light that runs vertically from top to bottom on the outboard edge of each assembly.

13. arremgee

arremgee Member

Fog lights are no longer being offered. They were previously. And they are separate from the cornering lights. Cornering lights are still offered as part of the tech package.

14. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

#14 spatterso911, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
    I trimmed the picture, but yes, it has a curved LED light pipe at the outer edge as well. This lights up with the main headlamps.

Tesla-Model_S_2013_1600x1200_wallpaper_15.jpeg

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

So that begs the question whether my soon to be delivered (March 7-21) car will have them. They were an advertised component of the Tech Pkg when I ordered my car...

16. goaliemanshark

I thought the cornering lights were in the actual head light. Above the turn signal?

17. kcveins

kcveins delivery 2/7

I received my car on 2/7 - I have fog lights....

18. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Interesting. I can see the physical location of the fog lights on my car, and it looks like the whole. I can't, however, tell whether they're actually working (....short of waiting until there's fog and then going out.) The touchscreen thinks I have fog lights, but if I turn them on (with the headlights on), nothing visible happens.

How do I tell whether I really have fog lights or whether I don't? I would be *ticked* if I didn't, given that it's the main reason I bought the Tech Package, and that they *appear* to be present.

19. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

On my car, turning on the fog lamps creates a clear difference on a dark wall. They produce a light on the road and you can see where the two lamps cross each other, and that goes away when you turn them off. Get someone to help you - turn on the fog lamps and then turn them off to see if they switch.

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Picked my car up today, and the touchscreen still has the fog light setting. I can definitely see the cornering lights work at night. I asked my DS about this and he said something like they were told to stop referring to them as fog lights.