Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fogging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
> It is meant to be easily taken apart and maintain its integrity. [Lloyd]

Says who?? Just sayin' . . .
--

Me, cause I've done it. I've had the lower interior trim apart from the Carbon fiber interior trim down to the floor. and the upper dash piece removed, the front bumper cover, and the rear difuser. All to run the wiring for the 9500ci finished last week. Everything went back exactly like it was and not like a chevy or ford! I have about 300 miles since finished, and not a squeak anywhere.

Of the 100's of clips that I removed, I only broke one in not a critical place. I have removed a lot of Chevy clips, and have broken about 1 of 15 no matter how careful you are.

Haven't had a windshield fogging issue yet, but noticed fogging in the driver door side window. It only obscured the side view mirror and wouldn't go away regardless of vent settings. At the same time I felt a terrible draft coming from the little triangle piece of glass in the corner of the door ahead of the side view mirror. I'm sure the cold there was preventing the fog from clearing. Not liking those little triangles of glass.

I had a terrible driving experience last night. I drove 3 hours and the windshield and windows would fog up every 5 minutes so I turned the defroster on, but then it was baking all my passengers on the high heat so I kept turning it off and on the whole trip. Tried changing the speed down of defroster, but it wasn't powerful enough, arg

Right - settings that work for "maintenance defog": Outside air, air to windshield (maybe feet too if you get cold), fan 4-5, A/C compressor on (if it actually comes on it will dry the air quickly), temperature setting to taste. This will keep the front windshield mostly clear (it might fog over on the left).

Nothing will keep the driver's side window clear. If it's fogging roll it down once in a while to remove much of the fog. If it's frosting over then you'll have to bring a hand scraper.

Right - settings that work for "maintenance defog": Outside air, air to windshield (maybe feet too if you get cold), fan 4-5, A/C compressor on (if it actually comes on it will dry the air quickly), temperature setting to taste. This will keep the front windshield mostly clear (it might fog over on the left).

Nothing will keep the driver's side window clear. If it's fogging roll it down once in a while to remove much of the fog. If it's frosting over then you'll have to bring a hand scraper.

Also, don't forget to clean the inside of the windows! That new car smell will cause fogging!

I don't know if this could be an issue, but IR coatings are often not very hard. If the IR coating is on the inside, there might be an issue with damaging it, but as I said, I don't know if it's actually on the inside and not protected. It might be worth a call though to Tesla just be be sure.

I don't know if this could be an issue, but IR coatings are often not very hard. If the IR coating is on the inside, there might be an issue with damaging it, but as I said, I don't know if it's actually on the inside and not protected. It might be worth a call though to Tesla just be be sure.

I'm using a plastic scraper. I'm sure it's not doing any damage.

I had thought that the IR coating was between the glass, not on one side or the other.

(In response to a January 19th comment...)
I must say that I have been thoroughly impressed by the level of interaction these three busy individuals have shown in addressing my concerns, taking the time to reply promptly and personally to a single customer. I made sure to note this in my replies to them.

Quoted from Joost de Vries:

"Regarding the windshield defroster functionality (or lack thereof), we got the 1st prototype parts last week and we have been testing them in a –30c cold weather chamber to make sure they will do the job. The good news is they do and we should have parts available late next week. I have requested my Service Managers to start reaching out to existing customers in the affected areas to schedule a service appointment to do the change. For new vehicle builds into Canada it will be a Service fix before delivery as the final production tooling will kick off only later this year. The retrofit on the defrosting is pretty straightforward. We loosen the A pillar trims left and right, lift out the dashboard top, remove the mesh screen. Insert the new directional air flow pieces, install the new mesh screen and reassembly the dashboard top and A pillar trim. It'll be less than an hour work. I am confident our customers will regard this issue as resolved once they experience the new venting system."

Unfortunately the tooling for the new ductwork will not be ready for my car's production (est. delivery march-april), so it will be a retrofit for me. Still great news !

This was good news. However....

I am trying to find out whether I can get this retrofit done before delivery, due to my very substantial distance from the service center. (My estimated delivery is slightly before yours so I probably will need the retrofit.) I am very definitely in the affected region but not in Canada, so I'm rather concerned about making sure this gets done. (For all I can tell, Joost may not realize that there are affected areas within the US, just south of the Great Lakes.) Nobody I've talked to seems to know how to even tell whether it has been done! Which is not cool. I'm going to try calling some service centers. But if anyone can give me more information or better contacts I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
I wish windshields could use a coating of titanium dioxide inside and out. It strongly resists fogging in addition to being very hydrophobic and a catalyst for self-cleaning. Some window manufacturers are using it and it is sometimes used in rear-view mirrors.

I am trying to find out whether I can get this retrofit done before delivery, due to my very substantial distance from the service center. (My estimated delivery is slightly before yours so I probably will need the retrofit.) I am very definitely in the affected region but not in Canada, so I'm rather concerned about making sure this gets done. (For all I can tell, Joost may not realize that there are affected areas within the US, just south of the Great Lakes.) Nobody I've talked to seems to know how to even tell whether it has been done! Which is not cool. I'm going to try calling some service centers. But if anyone can give me more information or better contacts I'd appreciate it.

If it can't be done before delivery (because they don't have the factory tooling done), just make sure it's on your due bill. That makes it eligible for ranger service to fix with no fee.