TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Fold Mirror Question

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by Tesadekunle, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Tesadekunle

Tesadekunle Member

If the car does not come with auto folding mirrors, can one manually fold them? (Model S 85 2013).
    How do you fold them?

Thanks for your help.

Tesla Newbie

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

I would suppose. Some countries everyone has to fold their mirrors and park on the sidewalk so cars can squeeze down the road. If they don't fold you end up finding them on the ground the next morning. It's crazy. Single lane streets, houses sticking across the sidewalk with a corner over the gutter, concrete trucks and passenger buses creeping along missing everything with maybe four inches to spare. Mostly I couldn't look. And buses coming down a tiny mountain road like it's one way, and it's not.
    You want to fold the mirrors while you're driving.

3. CLLACAB

CLLACAB Member

FYI. You can upgrade to the folding mirrors. But not cheap. You need a new harness, mirrors and door switch, then the car has to be programmed. Don’t worry about the color of the mirrors as the covers pop off. If you are interested, look for a totaled car on the “parts” thread and try to buy the parts.

• Like x 1
  4. yngwiescruggs

yngwiescruggs Member

Yes. I have a Sep 13 S60 and they just can be folded flat manually like a lot of other cars.

• Like x 1
  5. 58hen

58hen New Member

I have folding mirrors and at present when I approach the parked car, the mirrors unfold when the door handles present. I would prefer that they unfold after I enter the car and step on the break or sit in the seat. Makes it easier to more around the exterior in a crowded parki’ng lot or a tight garage.

6. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I think CLLACAB above post meant electric/auto mirrors can be added/replaced. What is your car's build month? Look on the driver side door for a sticker. The harness was already present in cars built after July '13. My P85 was an Aug build and had the harness but manual mirrors. I took mine to my SC and they swapped out the manual for electric/auto mirrors. They replaced the mirror assembly and the door switch. Took about 70 minutes and was done. Cost at the time was $1500.00. About two years later, I had a problem and had to replace the right hand side. The cost of the mirror assembly had come down about $ 125.00 each by that time.

They will reuse your colored mirror hood and the manual mirrors are your. You might be able to sell them and recover part of your cost.

So, check with your SC. If you car was built after Jul '13, the harness is there and will eliminate the cost of and labor for a harness. They can give you an quote to install them. I enjoyed the improved mirrors every day.

• Like x 1
  7. Olds442

Olds442 Member

manual mirrors work perfectly and almost never break. just reach out and pull it towards the car, push it back and it flips to the driving position.

"one less thing to break", said my local traveling service tech when he did my 12v battery.

• Like x 3
  8. Tesadekunle

Tesadekunle Member

Thank you for all your responses, all good advice.

9. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

So very true, but the same logic applies to electric versus manually rolled down windows. When was the last time you saw a car that you had to crank the windows down? Shucks, I'm old, I even remember when we had to slide the window open 'cause they had not refined roll down mechanisms. :)

• Like x 1
  10. Tesadekunle

Tesadekunle Member

I remember those days for sure

• Like x 1
  11. Ataway

Ataway Member

#11 Ataway, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Purchased 2013 P85 CPO in March 2018 (P12XXX). I wanted the folding mirrors as garage is tight...but no power folding at that time. Anyway, mirrors would not fold manually either. Turns out, mirrors had motors but was not hooked up (likely no wiring harness I assume). SC removed ceased motors (5 years of not being operated...) and manually folding works now. Would love to get folding mirrors...they say no more retrofit available.

12. Tesadekunle

Tesadekunle Member

Thank you for the update

13. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Wow, didn't know that they won't upgrade an owner from manual to electric folding - any longer.

I have a set of manual mirrors that will fold. In case someone is looking.

• Like x 1
  14. Tesadekunle

Tesadekunle Member

For what model?

15. Tesadekunle

Tesadekunle Member

How much were you charged to get it to manually fold.

16. Ataway

Ataway Member

No charge to remove the bad mirror motors. :) Warranty...Would love to be handy enough to retrofit power folding mirrors myself (and have the time to do so). Though, programming is not my forte, so would ultimately be stuck with nice hardware and no software to make it work!

17. Tesadekunle

Tesadekunle Member

Thanks

18. Tesadekunle

Tesadekunle Member

How much did it cost to get it fixed?

19. Tesadekunle

Tesadekunle Member

What are you located? My SC is quoting alot more than the $125. Almost twice the price

20. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I think the $125 described above was for labor, not parts and labor.

• Like x 1