Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fold Mirror Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would suppose. Some countries everyone has to fold their mirrors and park on the sidewalk so cars can squeeze down the road. If they don't fold you end up finding them on the ground the next morning. It's crazy. Single lane streets, houses sticking across the sidewalk with a corner over the gutter, concrete trucks and passenger buses creeping along missing everything with maybe four inches to spare. Mostly I couldn't look. And buses coming down a tiny mountain road like it's one way, and it's not.
You want to fold the mirrors while you're driving.

FYI. You can upgrade to the folding mirrors. But not cheap. You need a new harness, mirrors and door switch, then the car has to be programmed. Don’t worry about the color of the mirrors as the covers pop off. If you are interested, look for a totaled car on the “parts” thread and try to buy the parts.

Reactions: Tesadekunle
I have folding mirrors and at present when I approach the parked car, the mirrors unfold when the door handles present. I would prefer that they unfold after I enter the car and step on the break or sit in the seat. Makes it easier to more around the exterior in a crowded parki’ng lot or a tight garage.

If the car does not come with auto folding mirrors, can one manually fold them? (Model S 85 2013).
How do you fold them?

Thanks for your help.

Tesla Newbie
I think CLLACAB above post meant electric/auto mirrors can be added/replaced. What is your car's build month? Look on the driver side door for a sticker. The harness was already present in cars built after July '13. My P85 was an Aug build and had the harness but manual mirrors. I took mine to my SC and they swapped out the manual for electric/auto mirrors. They replaced the mirror assembly and the door switch. Took about 70 minutes and was done. Cost at the time was $1500.00. About two years later, I had a problem and had to replace the right hand side. The cost of the mirror assembly had come down about $ 125.00 each by that time.

They will reuse your colored mirror hood and the manual mirrors are your. You might be able to sell them and recover part of your cost.

So, check with your SC. If you car was built after Jul '13, the harness is there and will eliminate the cost of and labor for a harness. They can give you an quote to install them. I enjoyed the improved mirrors every day.

Reactions: Tesadekunle
manual mirrors work perfectly and almost never break. just reach out and pull it towards the car, push it back and it flips to the driving position.

"one less thing to break", said my local traveling service tech when he did my 12v battery.
So very true, but the same logic applies to electric versus manually rolled down windows. When was the last time you saw a car that you had to crank the windows down? Shucks, I'm old, I even remember when we had to slide the window open 'cause they had not refined roll down mechanisms. :)

Reactions: Olds442
I think CLLACAB above post meant electric/auto mirrors can be added/replaced. What is your car's build month? Look on the driver side door for a sticker. The harness was already present in cars built after July '13. My P85 was an Aug build and had the harness but manual mirrors. I took mine to my SC and they swapped out the manual for electric/auto mirrors. They replaced the mirror assembly and the door switch. Took about 70 minutes and was done. Cost at the time was $1500.00. About two years later, I had a problem and had to replace the right hand side. The cost of the mirror assembly had come down about $ 125.00 each by that time.

They will reuse your colored mirror hood and the manual mirrors are your. You might be able to sell them and recover part of your cost.

So, check with your SC. If you car was built after Jul '13, the harness is there and will eliminate the cost of and labor for a harness. They can give you an quote to install them. I enjoyed the improved mirrors every day.
So very true, but the same logic applies to electric versus manually rolled down windows. When was the last time you saw a car that you had to crank the windows down? Shucks, I'm old, I even remember when we had to slide the window open 'cause they had not refined roll down mechanisms. :)
I remember those days for sure

Reactions: Olds442
Purchased 2013 P85 CPO in March 2018 (P12XXX). I wanted the folding mirrors as garage is tight...but no power folding at that time. Anyway, mirrors would not fold manually either. Turns out, mirrors had motors but was not hooked up (likely no wiring harness I assume). SC removed ceased motors (5 years of not being operated...) and manually folding works now. Would love to get folding mirrors...they say no more retrofit available.

Last edited:
Purchased 2013 P85 CPO in March 2018 (P12XXX). I wanted the folding mirrors as garage is tight...but no power folding at that time. Anyway, mirrors would not fold manually either. Turns out, mirrors had motors but was not hooked up (likely no wiring harness I assume). SC removed ceased motors (5 years of not being operated...) and manually folding works now. Would love to get folding mirrors...they say no more retrofit available.
How much were you charged to get it to manually fold.

How much did it cost to get it fixed?

What are you located? My SC is quoting alot more than the $125. Almost twice the price