TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Folded bike rack calibration

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by KaiserSoze, Jul 30, 2016.

1. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

I'd love a feature which would calibrate out the effect of my bike rack on the rear ultrasonic sensors. That would significantly improve safety when a bike rack is attached. If it worked when bikes were installed, even better!

I think this would be straightforward to implement. The sensor returns multiple echoes and only a fixed set would need to be subtracted out.

• Like x 1
  2. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

The first time I had my 2-bike (shelf) rack on, I realized the problem and put it into Trailer Mode to stop all the beeping. Then I realized I couldn't use Auto-Steer. Finally, I realized it's only an issue when moving in reverse, so I turned off Trailer Mode and ignore the beeps when in reverse. Very annoying and it would be nice if Tesla could provide some kind of solution for this.

Perhaps, when moving in reverse, if the rear obstacle doesn't get closer, then ignore such "fixed" obstacles?

3. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

My fear is hitting something while in reverse. My rack is deep and it's hard to judge distances using a partially occluded camera image.