Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

folding bike that fits in the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Front to back is 40".. Problem with the IF Mode is it is only sold in 3 stores in the US and that's not one I would mail order without some assurance it fits.

There is a local store that carries Dihon. I want to visit but it won't happen before next Tuesday.

Front to back is 40".. Problem with the IF Mode is it is only sold in 3 stores in the US and that's not one I would mail order without some assurance it fits.

There is a local store that carries Dihon. I want to visit but it won't happen before next Tuesday.

And from what I can tell the IF Mode is way above the self induced budget you put out in the first post.

@Blathering, Sorry I just now noticed your question about old vs new. Guilty of rushing to get out the door. I have a Model S that was delivered in early June. I have no idea if that's a new or old Model S.

@Rodolfo, what is this overdoing you are referring to???

I've seen a couple threads elsewhere on this with some ideas, but maybe none here. Some links...

Tesla with a Tikit folding bike in the frunk | Forums | Tesla Motors

Folding Bicycle for Frunk? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Folks, check this existing thread for lots of photos including both frunk and trunk bike options: My bikes fit!!

I received for Christmas a beautiful Dahon 20" which matches the color scheme of the car exactly and fits perfectly in the frunk. Will post pics soon.

FYI, these are the best measurements I've found that correspond to my own (actual depth is closer to 39" -- the 40" quoted above is pushing it). New frunk style is shallower. Tesla Frunk mat doesn't fit - Page 3

Last edited:
Folding bikes are great for those opportune, or unplanned rides where you'd otherwise wish you had a bike with you but don't. They make folding versions of all types of bikes. The wheel size ultimately determines how small it will fold up. Do you need or want a mountain bike or road bike? Or something simpler and smaller?

I find this one to be ideal for me. No gears, no cables. Quick, small, easy, light. Little bit of money but it's one of the best brands and possibly the original company that has been building folding bikes since the beginning.

http://www.nycewheels.com/folding-bike.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what i want is what they call "urban" bikes. Basically, I'm going to ride it less than a couple of miles at a time.

Does the dahon uno fit in the frunk? I'm pretty sure that the wheels have to be 20" or smaller. There is a store that carries dahon nearby and I'll be checking that out tomorrow.

I see from that other thread that the Dahon Hammerhead fits in the frunk but they stopped making them. Used ones do come up on CL sometimes though nothing in the local area.

I think what i want is what they call "urban" bikes. Basically, I'm going to ride it less than a couple of miles at a time.

Does the dahon uno fit in the frunk? I'm pretty sure that the wheels have to be 20" or smaller. There is a store that carries dahon nearby and I'll be checking that out tomorrow.

I see from that other thread that the Dahon Hammerhead fits in the frunk but they stopped making them. Used ones do come up on CL sometimes though nothing in the local area.

Phil, check the Dahon specs online and they list the folded size for each and compare to the dimensions I posted above, which is how I decided without the benefit of actually trying it beforehand. Also some Dahons fold with the handlebars between the two sides, some outside, which affects clearance. The higher end ones are actually less compact as they have multi-articulated handlebars which stick out on top and must use tools to fully collapse. Not recommended for quick fold into frunk.

Did my field research. The Dahon Uno fits really well and the Dahon Mariner fits snugly. I liked the Mariner so I bought it. Coaster brakes are cool (the Uno) but I really like the safety of brakes on both wheels (the Mariner).

One important point. If a bike from one company fits, don't assume that "similar" models from the same company fit. Even if the two bikes have identical frames - baskets, fenders and other things make a big difference. The difference between the Uno and the Mariner was pretty significant and various pieces stick out in different ways so I would select a bike that you KNOW will fit, either by testing it or from some one who has the exact same model. Slightly bigger on the Mariner and it wouldn't have fit.

IMG_20140128_135816_391.jpg

Last edited:
Did my field research. The Dahon Uno fits really well and the Dahon Mariner fits snugly. I liked the Mariner so I bought it. Coaster brakes are cool (the Uno) but I really like the safety of brakes on both wheels (the Mariner).

One important point. If a bike from one company fits, don't assume that "similar" models from the same company fit. Even if the two bikes have identical frames - baskets, fenders and other things make a big difference. The difference between the Uno and the Mariner was pretty significant and various pieces stick out in different ways so I would select a bike that you KNOW will fit, either by testing it or from some one who has the exact same model. Slightly bigger on the Mariner and it wouldn't have fit.

Very nice. It is pretty cool you can fit it in also with a rear rack installed. There are 3 orientations I can fit my Dahon 8-speed in the frunk, but the "wheels in microwave" orientation seems to preclude me installing fenders. I cannot see so well from the photo -- do you have fenders installed and would this prevent you from fitting the bike in?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, why is this thread in "Batteries and Charging"?

@Lloyd, probably not. Maybe the Brompton but I suspect no.

@Musterion. Yes, it has fenders and they fit just fine. They don't go into the "microwave" and I do have to fold the little rubber flap down after I put it in but it works pretty well. Pedal position is also important. I started the thread here because it was about having to use slow chargers some of the time. The bike gives me more flexibility. Probably should be in interior/exterior. Happy to see it moved but I can't do it. What specific model of Dahon do you have? I'd like to list it at the top.

I have 2 early Dahon 3 speed bikes with carrying bags that BOTH fit in the frunk in their bags. Actually, one of them is the original HON stainless steel bike made in California before they became Dahon and produced them in China. I paid about $400 for the Hon 20+ years ago, then bought the Dahon at the Oshkosh fly-in years later for $169. I hadn't used them in quite some time until I tried to fit one in the frunk for my amusement during long charging sessions. It fit so easily that I tried the second one too. With a little care, the second one fits just fine.

Last year I purchased a Schwinn folding ELECTRIC bike on sale at Canadian Tire. It fits the frunk if I remove the seat and handlebars but, since it's not in a bag, could be rather messy with exposed dirty wheels and greasy chain. It may be ok if I wrap it with an old blanket, though.

If we ever get the promised Superchargers here in Canada, my wife and I may take a long trip with the 2 bikes in the frunk and still have lots of room for camping and kitesurfing gear in the back :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked up Hon on the net. I guess it was more like 30 years ago for my stainless Hon bike and 20+ for the Dahon!!! How time flies!!