Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

folding bike that fits in the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PhilBa

Apr 20, 2013
Seattle
I'm not sure best place to post this. Mods, please move it if there is a more appropriate place.

Update: thought I would summarize this thread for those who come looking later.
Bikes that have been reported to fit or ones I have personally tested:
- Brompton
- Dahon Uno
- Dahon Mariner
- Dahon Hammerhead (out of production)
- Dahon Vector P8
- Bike Friday tikit
As more reports come in, I will update this post.

---------- original post ----------------

After a bit of road tripping, I've become convinced that even with superchargers, EV charging will still be occurring in sub-optimal locations. So, to make it a bit more efficient, I'm thinking about getting a folding bicycle that can fit in the frunk so I can have a little more mobility for multi-hour charging sessions.

Anyone done this already? Suggested models? I'd prefer not to spend a grand on this.

The Dahon S1 and D7 look like they might fit. As does the Biria. They are all sub $500. Despite the high "dork factor" of the 20" wheel bikes I like the price point.

Stepping up a bit in price, the Montague Crosstown is a possibility and looks more like a real bicycle. Not looking like I'm going to Klown Kollage has a distinct advantage! and at 650, it's not a total bank breaker...

Last edited:
Very interesting idea! Searching on "folding bicycle fits in spare tire well" I found that there is one that even fits in a Toyoto MR2 "frunk" (yes, they called it that). The wheels were probably a good deal smaller than 20 in., though. Will keep an eye out for something better that fits...

I have a Brompton that fits in the frunk. It is probably one of the smaller folding bikes but it is also one of the more expensive bikes. I bought it for the same reason that I think you are planning to. I have traveled a bit with my Model S last spring and summer and would charge at RV parks. While charging the bike was my means of transportation and recreation. I love the bike and it has somewhat of a cult following and I am using it for more than just while the car is charging. I can send a picture of the bike in the frunk if you would like. LLBean sometimes have folding bikes on sale in their outlet stores and maybe online. I saw a Dahon there.

Thanks guys. I'm really liking the Montague Crosstown but it folds into a 36 x 26 x 12 package that is probably too big for the frunk.

This one from Citizen might do it. Fairly compact at 33.5 x 25 x 14.

Cottonwood, thanks for the pointer but they appear to well out of my self enforced budget.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Brompton that fits in the frunk. It is probably one of the smaller folding bikes but it is also one of the more expensive bikes. I bought it for the same reason that I think you are planning to. I have traveled a bit with my Model S last spring and summer and would charge at RV parks. While charging the bike was my means of transportation and recreation. I love the bike and it has somewhat of a cult following and I am using it for more than just while the car is charging. I can send a picture of the bike in the frunk if you would like. LLBean sometimes have folding bikes on sale in their outlet stores and maybe online. I saw a Dahon there.
That is one seriously compact package at 23" x 21.5" x 10.6" You must have room to spare. I would love a picture of it "en frunk"

After a bit of road tripping, I've become convinced that even with superchargers, EV charging will still be occurring in sub-optimal locations. So, to make it a bit more efficient, I'm thinking about getting a folding bicycle that can fit in the frunk so I can have a little more mobility for multi-hour charging sessions.

Anyone done this already? Suggested models? I'd prefer not to spend a grand on this.

Speaking of folding stuff for the Model S: I bought a folding kayak for my Model S. I don't want to have a heavy kayak or two on a roof rack on my Tesla.

Unfortunately, it's just a few inches too wide to fit in the frunk.

http://www.orukayak.com/

DSC02720.jpg
DSC02718.jpg
Here are two pictures of my Brompton folding bike in the frank. They are a little out of focus because it was dark out. You can see I have plenty of room to carry a helmet, and basket that attaches to the frame of the bike. So I am guessing larger folding bikes would probably work as well.

My wife and I are boaters and take trips up and down the mid to northeast coastline. We also like to ride bicycles, so of course we bring them along. As we do not often pull into a marina, rather staying on anchor in various ports and harbors, we needed a bicycle that would break down to stow away in the boat when cruising and light enough to place into our inflatable dingy to take ashore. We found that the 20" bikes are OK, but for riding to locations beyond a few miles, they're not so good. We opted with the Montague and Swiss (same manufacture) fold up bikes, which use the 26 " wheels. Both weigh about 27 lbs. and ride well. We also purchased the bags for each, which are well worth it, making it easier to stow and carry, as well as protecting the compartment. If you intend to actually ride the bike more than a few miles, go with the Montague (considering that it will fit). If you just want a bike to go to the local store while the car is charging, the 20" Dahon is more tag adequate.

I've been thinking of a foldable bike as well, and was looking at the offerings at Folding Bikes by Citizen Bike mentioned earlier by PhilBa. I contacted them from the link on their website to let them know of this discussion and to suggest that they get some photos of their different bikes folded up in the frunk, and they replied:

=========

Thanks for the email and your interest in Citizen Bike!

We can certainly accommodate. Please let the forum folks know that if someone local wants to swing by, we'll test it out and setup a photo for them.

Please have our potential frunk model give us a call at 1-800-682-9579 (Monday - Friday, 10am - 4pm EST).

We are located in Dania Beach, FL near the local Tesla dealer.

=========

So... can any of the local TMC members swing by to use your car as a fitment model and take some photos? They should advertise on TMC (and perhaps put one of their bikes on display at the local Tesla showroom)!

Great feedback folks!

@han170, thanks! that is a sweet fit!

@santana338, you can get a 6 speed for a bit over 1400. http://www.electricvehiclesnw.com/fbw/brompton-config.htm For me, tax pushes that to about $1600.

@captDave, The Montague just aint gonna fit so it's off to Klown Kollege for me! Or maybe I just live with it cluttering up the regular trunk.

@jamieb, great idea. Hope there is member out there that can help. I like the price point!

The Bromptons are a bit pricey but I think the quality is there. They do run $1300 to $2000 depending on model and how you equip them. Occasionally you can find used ones on Ebay, which is what I tried to do. They seem to get snapped up fairly quickly as these bikes seem to have quite a following. You can also find bike shops are slightly discounting last year's models currently. NYCEWheels sells the Brompton, Dahon, Montague, Tern and Pacific folding bikes if you want to look at their website for comparisons and prices. There are several blogs out there are specific folding bikes as well.

Hmmm, 39" is pretty big. However, the frame/ seat part might fit into the cubby area so it's worth finding out. Sweet looking bike, though.

Edit: seems to be very limited in where they are sold (NYC and NOLA).

The Pacific Cycles IF Mode is a nice looking ride with 26" tires. Anyone squeeze of of these in the frunk?
On the pricey side...

Sizes in at:
Folded Dimensions16.5"(42cm) (H) x 9.8" (25cm) (W) x 39.3" (100cm) (L)
View attachment 41639
View attachment 41640

I have owned the Bike Friday, Montague, and the Ritchey Break-Away.

The Bike Friday's are tiny, and a little flexible. I didn't like to take it over 30 mph on the downhills. The Montague is OK, but they only have one frame size. When you go for a larger size (I'm 1.87m), they just change the components and the geometry gets weird. The best of these three is the Ritchey Break-Away (pricey!!). It has a little ring at the bottom of the down tube and the top tube rotates around the top of the seat tube. Only 100 grams extra and it folds in half! On top of that, its a nice rigid road or cross frame.

A bit more work on my part. I 3D modeled the frunk. It's not super accurate but close enough. Then I build boxes based on reported envelope size of several folded bikes. The envelope is the worst case as the Brompton protrudes in several places but we know it fits. Here are the results for 4 bikes out there.
frunk bikes.jpg

The bottom line is the Brompton fits, the citizen is very likely too big, the montague is probably too long and the Dahon Boardwalk S1 may fit. This exercise isn't perfect but at least it allows me to eliminate some models quickly. With decent pictures of the folded bike I could create a better envelope box (that's the next step). It's surprising how hard it is to find folded sizes for a number of bikes. More to come as I get a bit more time.

Front to Back Dim

A bit more work on my part. I 3D modeled the frunk. ....

Cool Approach!

From what I see in your drawing, is the max distance from front to back 36"?
The IF Mode is 39", but the other dimensions appear fine.

Worth noting that the frunk has shrunk on newer MS's... (sometime in early fall I believe). Is the 3D model on a new Frunk or old Frunk?