Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folding Mirrors problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone having problems with the mirrors folding back out to the correct spot?

Since delivery mostly the passenger side, but both mirrors will not fold back out the max. Definitely is worse below freezing but a few days above 0 deg C I still have the problem...so it is not the temperature all the time.

Reactions: markn455
Anyone having problems with the mirrors folding back out to the correct spot?

Since delivery mostly the passenger side, but both mirrors will not fold back out the max. Definitely is worse below freezing but a few days above 0 deg C I still have the problem...so it is not the temperature all the time.

I've had the passenger side that didn't unfold once. After one month I decided it wasn't worth it to leave it on auto fold/unfold as most of the time folding is not useful and over time its wear on those motors. Also ice and snow can be a problem. I press the fold button when I want them folded (in parking lot mostly) and once they were both jammed in ice and didn't move.

Oh strange note, you can actually fold them at any speed, that's weird. My former bmw did auto unfold at about 20km/h and refuse to fold above that speed (for safety concerns I guess...)

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe check for dirt or salt accumulation in the moving parts, the motor is not that powerful and abort easily.

When do they fold/unfold on the auto setting? I've wondered whether they'd be useful or just annoying for parking in a tight home garage.

I find the AUTO setting annoying, every time you leave the car they fold, then you forget something, you return: they unfold, then you leave: fold. I guess that a better setting would be auto-fold on lock, then unfold when the car is moving (or at a defined speed)...

But fortunately there is a setting to disable the AUTO function and a button to manually fold/unfold when really needed.

I had a loaner with auto-folding for a couple of days. The Auto function is useless. I would leave them on manual at all times - the button is conveniently located on the window control panel, between the two buttons for outside mirror adjustment.

I've had the same problem. Usually I notice before or after starting out that one of the mirrors has not deployed. Cycling the car off and on again has always resulted in a proper deployment, so I'd been attributing the problem to logic confusion as we walk past the car and it unlocks and then locks again. But temperature could be a factor, I suppose. I reported it to the SC, with specific date/times so they could look at the logs in the system. So far they haven't commented but this has only been a minor annoyance, so haven't pressed it.

I hadn't noticed that there is a way to turn off the automatic deployment, and may deactivate that, as an interesting experiment if nothing else.

Turning off the automatic function is a nice way to reduce the number of cycles when walking around one's car in the garage. The SC in Rockville reached out to tell us a fix for the automatic deployment confusion is in the works, and now I see that it arrived in the software update that just arrived last night. So I guess I'll turn it back on and see how things go. We have activated our mirrors manually in icy weather, in a car wash, and elsewhere, without a hitch, so it seems likely this was a software logic glitch and not a mechanical problem.

I have started having regular problems with the driver side mirror only opening part way. This is very annoying. It happened months ago and then started getting stuck every couple of weeks. No it happens every few days and sometimes multiple times per day... Getting frustating.

It seems to be caused by dirt in the mechanism. My mirrors get sticky every winter and they are fine in summer or whenever I get the Tesla service folks to clean and lubricate them.

Whenever they get stuck, press the button twice quickly to extend or fold them the rest of the way.

I have seen an occasional case of one or the other only partially unfolding.

I too think the auto mirror folding is useless. I want them to fold before I start pulling into the garage and stay folded until I've pulled out of the garage to clear the door frame. Of course that's not how it works so I have auto folding off and I use the button to fold and unfold as needed.

• Informative
Reactions: markn455
I sent Tesla a request for a feature where the mirrors would fold/unfold whenever the car sends an automatic location-based garage door open/close signal. It would be an option per Homelink door. The existing auto fold option would stay but not apply within the geofence area of a door that has autofold enabled. That way, the mirrors would fold when opening the garage, unfold when closing it, and fold/unfold when parking elsewhere.

A bit OT but I saw a story where Japan was the first country to approve getting rid of side mirrors (they will be replaced with cameras). I bet that this will happen ASAP with Tesla as it will really help with aerodynamics.

I had a folding problem too but it is unpredictable and not repeatable. When I went for annual check up they said it was fine… and it was… until a week later. Now it is fine again.
My understanding is that Tesla DID design the S with no side mirrors so that it was more "slippery" but it could not be approved by government regulations at that time so they had to add them back into the design.

My understanding is that Tesla DID design the S with no side mirrors so that it was more "slippery" but it could not be approved by government regulations at that time so they had to add them back into the design.
Apparently Japan has now approved the use of cameras in lieu of side mirrors. Hopefully other countries get on board soon so that we can further improve aerodynamics.

Reactions: Jaff