Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folding mirrors - take apart, clean, lubricate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the folding mirrors. After 5 years in salty winter seasons, I see that (despite not folding them when freezing) the performance isn't 100% anymore, with the passenger side mirror not always folding all the way out. No strange noises or anything, just left with a mirror that doesn't fold all the way out and leaves some play until folding in and out again.

On my former E-class, I took the mechanism apart, cleaned out dirt, old grease and corrosion, re-lubricated everything and put back together - good as new again. Anyone did anything similar on the Model S?

Please be aware that fully disassembling the mirrors can be very time-consuming.
I did that a few years ago to successfully perform a "chrome delete" and install a 360 camera system, so in the end, it was worth the effort for me...

You will need some plastic pry tools and torx screwdrivers if you need to fully separate the mirrors from the car.
(It is necessary to open the door panels first to access the mirrors)

On the other hand, it is relatively easy to just pop the cover from the mirror (it is just held in place with some clips)
and disengage the mirror from its socket, (leaving it hanging by the wires).
You could try that first to inspect and re-lubricate but may run into issues snapping it back properly into place.

Here is a very informative video showing the whole process:

Popping out the mirror from the socket is shown at the 2:50. The list of tools is at 1:00

Good luck
ps: Also make sure to fully disable auto fold/tilt before starting to work on your mirrors (also explained in the video)

Last edited:
Please be aware that fully disassembling the mirrors can be very time-consuming.
I did that a few years ago to successfully perform a "chrome delete" and install a 360 camera system, so in the end, it was worth the effort for me...

You will need some plastic pry tools and torx screwdrivers if you need to fully separate the mirrors from the car.
(It is necessary to open the door panels first to access the mirrors)

On the other hand, it is relatively easy to just pop the cover from the mirror (it is just held in place with some clips)
and disengage the mirror from its socket, (leaving it hanging by the wires).
You could try that first to inspect and re-lubricate but may run into issues snapping it back properly into place.

Here is a very informative video showing the whole process:

Popping out the mirror from the socket is shown at the 2:50. The list of tools is at 1:00

Good luck
ps: Also make sure to fully disable auto fold/tilt before starting to work on your mirrors (also explained in the video)
I did not watch too care as my issue is somewhat different- BUT I did not see mirror arm fold motor in this video. My issue is sloppy mirror arm fold linkage and issues with the fold action both not automatically actuating and not fully opening when manually actuated from Control Panel. Please comment if you have knowledge on this issue.