Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folding Seats / Bags on Backseats = Annoying Seatbelt Notification!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure this also applies to Model 3s, not sure about S/X.

When you get that notification card saying there's someone not wearing the seat belt on the rear seats, especially when you fold the rear seats for a larger trunk or some object is on the seat, I just recently discovered you can click on the red icon, and that will make it change to a baby seat, muting the notifications!

Just thought I'd share it. Search brought nothing about it, and I've had this annoyance for 4 months until I learned how to fix it!

Cheers, y'all!

Thanks. I had a heavy object in the rear foot well the other day that was leaning on the seat and triggering the alarm, and wondered if there was something like that, but couldn't find anything with a super quick search. FWIW, my workaround was to plugin the seatbelt:)

Reactions: helvio
The only problem (?) is that it stays selected as a baby seat so there's no warning when there should be! You have to remember to deactivate the baby seat selection if you want an alert that the occupant isn't buckled up. Also if the warning is intermittent, which happens when there's a small dog moving around the back, you can only cancel it when it's active. There's no way to pre-select the seat as having a baby seat. In my case, it's been most convenient to select all 3 positions as baby seats since they're unlikely to be occupied by adults.

Thanks for the tip re the baby seat. I have RTFM* twice (vicariously enjoying my Teslas while waiting for delivery), and don't remember this trick. There are so many undocumented tricks, hacks and tidbits evolving, it's like Christmas Day all the time! I think I have learned more from YouTube articles than from the FM.

*This is a family site, so the translation is "Read The Fine Manual"
Harrumph

When you get that notification card saying there's someone not wearing the seat belt on the rear seats, especially when you fold the rear seats for a larger trunk or some object is on the seat, I just recently discovered you can click on the red icon, and that will make it change to a baby seat, muting the notifications!

Just thought I'd share it. Search brought nothing about it, and I've had this annoyance for 4 months until I learned how to fix it!

Cheers, y'all!

This is great. My dog sets off the seat belt alarm in the back seat. Too cool, thanks!

• Love
Reactions: helvio
The only problem (?) is that it stays selected as a baby seat so there's no warning when there should be! You have to remember to deactivate the baby seat selection if you want an alert that the occupant isn't buckled up. Also if the warning is intermittent, which happens when there's a small dog moving around the back, you can only cancel it when it's active. There's no way to pre-select the seat as having a baby seat. In my case, it's been most convenient to select all 3 positions as baby seats since they're unlikely to be occupied by adults.
I'm stuck with that problem, too! But, one fix at a time LOL. I'm still trying to figure out how to revert that. I'd hope parking the car would do the trick, but it doesn't. I'll post a solution if I find one!

Cheers, y'all!
Its also a problem with my dogs. I have 2 large dogs who often ride with me. i've bucked the belts and that makes the car happy. this is the first car i've owned that has warnings about the back seatbelts.

You can buy a (male) seatbelt stub ($5 ea. In Australia) that plugs into the (female) belt buckle to satisfy the sensor that the belt is on. Pet shops also have cheap plug-in harnesses for dogs that have the same piece of metal.