Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folks living in cold/Northern States, what Model S do you own?

Cold Weather Dwellers what do you own? Is it a 60D, 75D, 90D or P100D?

• 60D

• 75D

• 90D

• P100D

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am just trying to see how the customer base pans out amongst the Model S owners. I am very torn between the 60D and the 75D. Certainly do feel tempted on the 90D but its out of my financial comfort zone. Just trying to understand what the scenario looks like amongst current Model S owners. Please take the poll below. Thanks a ton.

I have a 60D on order. I didn't go higher because I could always upgrade it to a 75D, but with charging to 100% all the time in a 60D, it may not be needed. I drive around town a lot (realtor) and 180 miles more than covers any of my days. So the only upgrade would be to a 90D, which was too rich for my blood. Actually the 60D is also too rich for my blood, but hey.

I have a 60D on order. I didn't go higher because I could always upgrade it to a 75D, but with charging to 100% all the time in a 60D, it may not be needed. I drive around town a lot (realtor) and 180 miles more than covers any of my days. So the only upgrade would be to a 90D, which was too rich for my blood. Actually the 60D is also too rich for my blood, but hey.

Hey I'm in the same boat. The 90D is too rich for my blood but I've somehow tricked my mind into believing that 60 is not so. Funny how that works. I've never been so torn between anything like this. SO can you please confirm if you get that 180 miles on the 60D in winter, highway driving as well? Thanks

Hey I'm in the same boat. The 90D is too rich for my blood but I've somehow tricked my mind into believing that 60 is not so. Funny how that works. I've never been so torn between anything like this. SO can you please confirm if you get that 180 miles on the 60D in winter, highway driving as well? Thanks
I can once I get my car. It's snowing today in Minneapolis, and will continue to do so for the next 6 months. I'll have plenty of time to check out range.
Now if I could have that new auto-park feature... My parking lot is going to start being under construction starting next week. We'll end up having to park at least 250 feet away from the building. Would love to send the car away to find a spot, and then come back and pick me up. But I could use the steps anyway.

Reactions: Tribaltech
P85+
I wanted the "big" battery (biggest at the time I bought the car) for the range in the mountains in the winter.
That said, the limiting factor is more the mountains and lack of superchargers than the winter in reality. Still glad I have the 85 and not the 60 (or even a 75) But if I didn't have a mountain range beside me and didn't do lots of highway road trips to places with no charging infrastructure, it just wouldn't matter as much.

Now if I could have that new auto-park feature... My parking lot is going to start being under construction starting next week. We'll end up having to park at least 250 feet away from the building. Would love to send the car away to find a spot, and then come back and pick me up. But I could use the steps anyway.
Nobody has that feature, and it's highly unlikely anyone will for several years yet.

P85+
I wanted the "big" battery (biggest at the time I bought the car) for the range in the mountains in the winter.
That said, the limiting factor is more the mountains and lack of superchargers than the winter in reality. Still glad I have the 85 and not the 60 (or even a 75) But if I didn't have a mountain range beside me and didn't do lots of highway road trips to places with no charging infrastructure, it just wouldn't matter as much.
I could see that.
But... Minnesota = No Mountains!

SO can you please confirm if you get that 180 miles on the 60D in winter, highway driving as well? Thanks

Someone from the other 60 vs 90 thread already posted. In that person's situation, under very cold weather, and in the mountain road, he was only getting like 50-60% of the EPA miles. Most people driving in that situation (under different thread) had to turn down the heat to get enough range to get to the destination. That's why everytime people ask why I would want the 90, I tell them I want to drive in a comfortable warm cabin. :)

Reactions: Tribaltech
This will be my first winter with my 60D and I am curious. I go back/forth upstate often where I have a vacation home 147 miles away and figure I should be good. Of course there are Superchargers on the way but I would rather not stop so I usually leave with 100%.
getting like 50-60% of the EPA miles.
That would not be good for me

I have a P90D which your poll does not accommodate, so I chose the 90D.
If you live in a cold climate, I would opt for the largest battery pack you can afford as cold weather does diminish range, especially if your S is stored in an unheated garage or will stand outside in an unheated climate. A cold battery pack will use some amount of range warming itself up to an optimal operational temperature level. Many short runs, with parked stops in-between (which allows the battery to become cold again) is just about the worst scenario.

This will be my first winter with my 60D and I am curious. I go back/forth upstate often where I have a vacation home 147 miles away and figure I should be good. Of course there are Superchargers on the way but I would rather not stop so I usually leave with 100%.

That would not be good for me

Yeah its really an eye opener in how much the Tesla can suck in winter driving conditions. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the car but yeah you start to appreciate dirty ol' gasoline for internal heating etc. But then I guess its a small price to pay for driving something nice that's zero emmisions too.

That is EXACTLY what ultimately push me over to get the 90D. I used EVTripping and EY Trip to test out all my frequent destinations during winter time. With the 90D, I don't even have to stop at any superchargers!

Well... first consider the very worst conditions (very cold, snow, heat on). At 65 MPH you'll likely be able travel half of the rated range and have a bit of buffer battery left over.

Next, consider the likelihood of NOT being able to charge at your destination. That could be because you can't get access, because somebody borrowed the extension cord, or because you're only stopping in for an hour. If it happens you might be stuck for a bit.

If you're good with both of the above then the small battery is probably ok.

Or you could also simply accept that there are some trips that you can't make in your car - and that you might have to use your wife's car. That happens to me semi-regularly in the winter. Sometimes it's just because we need to leave right after work, and I've been driving around during the day. That leaves me with too little charge to make it to the closest supercharger unless we delay leaving for an hour.

The reality is that, with the current infrastructure, there are some logistics to owning an EV. It is getting better. But if it were me, and I were cash limited, I'd take a used 90D over a new 75D, seven out of seven days of the week. There are still logistics, but they drop rapidly with range.

Last edited: