Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folks renting out their cars in Turo - Please lower your price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is kinda funny....its actually pretty cheap at that rate. If were to rent a Range Rover from LAX Hertz it would put you back at the rate of $230.00 a day (all in) and of course you get the joy of paying for fuel. I wouldn't begin to consider renting out my P100DX to a stranger without at least that amount plus a deposit; even then, its not really worth it. In fact, if Tesla catches you, they can take away any free Supercharging Account status (taxis and rentals are excluded from this feature).

Given the price/value of these cars, you should be comparing them to an exotic; not because I love the brand, but because thats the reality of any comparison. They cost more than a Ferrari Spyder 430, have better performance than, well, any exotic on the market, and they are next to free to operate (if you are planning on a hotel visit, usually the hotel will allow you to charge for free).

A P100DX can be compared to an exotic. Not a Model 3 or an X 75. And X75s are priced like an exotic in Turo. I also see the fuel savings being largely offset by extra Supercharging time, so that's a wash.

I work for a "sharing" economy company, and if my experience is anything to go by, then you will find a spectrum of people renting in Turo. Some are probably renting it for fun, while for others it is a legitimate business. For the second category, a key metric should be utilization of their asset. And it looks like utilization is extremely low

Utlitization is a key metric. But the others are price and cost.

Maybe it's an unspoken cartel, where people don't want to lower the price for fear of sparking a bidding war.

Or maybe, being a personal possession, they want to keep joy-riders and value-seekers out.

People wanting to rent a Tesla Model X are often willing to pay a premium. In additon to the transportation value of the rental there is also the valued experience of driving one of the worlds most aspirational SUV's.

This makes the prices asked very reasonable. Same is true with renting a Ferrari or Rolls Royce. People want to experience what these vehicles offer, and are willing to pay extra for that experience.

OP knows this, and is also one of those that wishes to have the experience along with the transportation.

It cost more to ride in the Orient Express than in the back of a freight train. (sorry, but maybe a little over the top with this comparison :)

• Funny
Reactions: Peteybabes
Pricing is also not about what is needed to pay the bills but what the market will bare, called Capitalism.

People are willing to toss their personal vehicle out there if you pay them well but it likely creates hassles far as arranging their own transportation when someone else has their car. Far as "utilization of assets" these are personal vehicles not a full time business venture, the time not used by renters it is used by the owner.

I have an S, and I wanted to take the extended family on a road trip to Los Angeles next weekend. Wanted to rent an X from Turo, but the prices are out of control. $150-200/day with 200 miles of daily driving included. An SUV ICE rental costs $50/day with unlimited miles. I can't imagine a lot of people renting at that price point.

Feel free to purchase your own and loan it out for free. You can even pay people for the privilege of using and abusing your $170k vehicle.

:/

Reactions: xyeahtony
A P100DX can be compared to an exotic. Not a Model 3 or an X 75. And X75s are priced like an exotic in Turo. I also see the fuel savings being largely offset by extra Supercharging time, so that's a wash.

Any rental car in the 'exotic' class would rent for far more. You will see that my reference was to a Range Rover...hardly an exotic, yet more expensive that the OP reference to cost per day. Really, when comparing the 200 per day price, its below market value.

I really don't think those prices reflect what the market will bear. I check most weeks and most of those cars are available every week. And most Tesla cars have less than 10 reviews. There are Model 3s listed for $200/day, and not surprisingly those cars have no trips yet. I just calculated that renting a Model X from Turo for 4 days, with over 1000 miles of driving will cost me over $1000. Compare that to the Enterprise cost for Ford Explorer for the same 4 days is $250. I know Model X is a premium car, but that is 4x the cost.

I understand most owners are listing their cars for extra cash and not really focused on Turo as a legitimate source of income. But it seems to me that a massive opportunity is missed here.
You have an S. Is it listed on Turo for a lower price?

Reactions: Peteybabes
I have an S, and I wanted to take the extended family on a road trip to Los Angeles next weekend. Wanted to rent an X from Turo, but the prices are out of control. $150-200/day with 200 miles of daily driving included. An SUV ICE rental costs $50/day with unlimited miles. I can't imagine a lot of people renting at that price point.

I'm suspect you support free markets when it works to your benefit.

Reactions: TOBASH
Huh? My X has 30K miles with the original tires and they are fine.
yeah, i'm cresting over 18,200 miles now on original tires with the 22's...

now some tread may be gone so it's only good as a summer tire, but the tread depth is still in the 6/32-7/32 range which is good.

i will replace when they get down to 3/32...at which point i will try to find a Michelin with full depth tread.

So are you renting you S out for $50/day while on your trip? That could help offset your cost. ;)