Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Follow up to employee termination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was terminated from my role as Sales Advisor in September. My termination was public, the press team made their statement and I wanted to write this post to share the other side of the story.

One of the many reasons I truly enjoyed working with Tesla was because unlike a traditional auto company, Tesla promotes a culture where Sales Advisors can operate their business within a business. The primary objectives were to provide an amazing customer experience and sell as many vehicles as possible.

As you may remember at the end of August Tesla was offering incentives on 100D and P100D inventory. These inventory vehicles were produced with almost all the upgrades that are now standard on these models which triggered a price reduction. Then the price was reduced by an additional $10,000 including custom orders. With these combined incentives some of the P100D's were up to $34,000 off the original sticker price. You could lease a P100D from inventory, with nearly all the upgrades for the same monthly payment as an equally equipped custom order 100D.

I was fortunate to work in a location ranked as one of the highest for foot traffic in the country and time management was crucial. My team was occasionally encouraged to use tools such as sending bulk email (mail merging) to relay information to owners quickly. I saw value in the 100D/P100D incentive and wanted to spread the word. My assistant manager (now store manager) was on the same page and asked a colleague and me to email a list of owners in Arizona that purchased Model S in 2012 and 2013. I sent the email to my half of the list and immediately received a lot of interest. My colleague was busy with prior obligations and didn't have the time to reach out to his half. The following morning he agreed to let me reach out to them.

The outreach immediately converted to inventory sales and potentially more from the owners that I was in communication with before being terminated. As you know, the email was posted on TMC by one of the recipients, and then Electrek wrote an article about it. After the Electrek story, my store manager informed me that I needed to run larger email communications by our leadership team. The story started spreading negative publicity about Tesla not being able to hit sales numbers. About a week after I sent the email I was terminated by my regional manager for "misrepresenting the company in my email." I was told they didn't like the words "showroom discount" or that I included monthly payments.

I originally received the email format from a template that the company provided when the Model S 60 lease was at an all-time low and included the monthly payments. I have over 30 "inventory vehicle price quotes" and "pro-forma mvpa" docs that reflect "showroom discount" and "showroom incentive." I also have conversations that reflect my store manager and my district manager knew I had sent the emails to customers days before it was made public. One of my leaders stated in a text message that I was "very effective with these email communications.” In hindsight, I see how out of context the email could be misunderstood, and have a negative effect on the company.

I sent an email to my entire leadership team (nearly all the way to the top) asking them to reconsider the decision, but they refused to respond. I received offers from numerous owners to write letters and emails to the top executives. At the time I was attempting to allow time for the team to reconsider without pressure which is why I didn't respond on TMC or to Electreks request to write a followup response.

This situation left my family in a tough spot because I was terminated three weeks before EOQ, and the compensation plan requires you to be employed when the quarters vehicles are delivered to be paid for them. I was also terminated three days before a portion of my stock would have vested. That being said, in this case, the grass is greener on the other side. I used this opportunity to transition into a new career that allows me to spend more time with my two young children. I want to thank you for taking the time to read this and from the bottom of my heart thank everyone who defended me during this situation. Tesla owners truly are a family, and I had the pleasure of connecting with some amazing people. Despite the way things ended I believe in the companies mission and wish them the best.

Since this sentence you lost all credibility in my eyes as I know you're spinning facts to suite your narrative.

Since this sentence you ended up on my ignore list. Someone spends time telling their side of the story and you pick on one sentence to ignore the whole story, pretty lame.

I read the story and was glad for a different insight then the public narrative provide. I'm glad he got it off his chest and has moved on to a better place, sounds like a pretty decent person to me who went through a tough situation and came out better.

Matt

I feel your pain, Aaron, and am glad you landed on your feet. I personally have been fired three times in my life, all, of course, unjustified in my eyes. I too landed on my feet each time, and moved on. While it truly sucks when it happens (it is one of the most stressful things people go through), the termination does not define you, and a person with even a modicum of skills can find another good job just around the corner. Thanks for the write up.

Btw, it would be nice if outlets like Electrek exercised some judgement on whether or not to run certain stories. If they had thought about it, they might have realized their story might have negative repercussions, especially since they sensationalized it. While Tesla bears some blame for the unjust termination, so does Electrek.

negative publicity
Which is pretty ironic, because I think the way Tesla reacted to this is going to cause far more negative publicity long term. If they had not fired you this would be pretty much forgotten by now, but instead it's another story of many about how Tesla and Elon Musk treat their employees and those certainly aren't painting them in a good light. At least from a European perspective it seems unimaginable to me that someone would get fired over this.

...While Tesla bears some blame for the unjust termination, so does Electrek.

If the owner didn't leak the e-mail to TMC, and if TMC censorship department blocked that posting, Electrek would not be able to publish it and Tesla wouldn't hear about the publicity and the e-mail's author wouldn't be fired.

I would not blame the leaker, TMC nor Electrek.

It's Tesla whom is to be blamed.

Reactions: davidc18
If the owner didn't leak the e-mail to TMC, and if TMC censorship department blocked that posting, Electrek would not be able to publish it and Tesla wouldn't hear about the publicity and the e-mail's author wouldn't be fired.

I would not blame the leaker, TMC nor Electrek.

It's Tesla whom is to be blamed.

A responsible journalist would get in touch with the person in the article before publishing it. Its called giving someone a chance to respond because maybe you don't have the entire story (from an email excerpted and posted online).

A responsible journalist would get in touch with the person in the article before publishing it. Its called giving someone a chance to respond because maybe you don't have the entire story (from an email excerpted and posted online).

Quite right. If Electrek is going to break news stories before everyone else (as opposed to reposting excerpts from other news sources) then they should act like a real journalist, and gather as much first person facts as is reasonable. Had they done so, it is possible their story wouldn’t have triggered Tesla into firing the sales person. Although it may not seem so these days, there are professional standards for true journalism.

...get in touch with the person...

There was no problem prior to publishing so I don't see how getting the e-mail's author story prior to publishing would help:

The e-mail generated tremendous sales and customer satisfaction due to broadcasting the lower price.

After the publishing, Tesla does not publicly argue about the lower pricing.

1) It disagrees about how to call it. It also abhors the word "deal" which the e-mail never mentioned.

2) It disagrees that the e-mail author had authorization to send the e-mail.

Those disagreements did not happen prior to publishing.

There was no problem prior to publishing so I don't see how getting the e-mail's author story prior to publishing would help:

The e-mail generated tremendous sales and customer satisfaction due to broadcasting the lower price.

After the publishing, Tesla does not publicly argue about the lower pricing.

1) It disagrees about how to call it. It also abhors the word "deal" which the e-mail never mentioned.

2) It disagrees that the e-mail author had authorization to send the e-mail.

Those disagreements did not happen prior to publishing.

It isn't about a counterfactual on what happened. Its about ethically breaking a story and a journalist's responsibility to reach out to people in the story to confirm veracity and gain a greater contextual understanding to ensure the accuracy of what is being reported. Fred could've only known the truth had he reached out to Aaron. He did not.

I don't know how you guys place any blame on the TMC poster, TMC or Electrek.

Tesla's management was extremely short sighted, and instead of taking the blame collectively from top for the minor negative publicity, they fired a salesman for exactly doing what he was encouraged and told to do. This is management's CYA springing into action for the mistake what they did in the first place of encouraging and permitting Aaron to reach out to customers on the new pricing.

First off i didn't see anything wrong with sending an email that touts the reduced price. Options got merged, and options became standard, and the price obviously has to reflect the new reality. In that context that mail was right on the money including the choice of words

Now if for some reason that in hind sight was the wrong thing to send out, why take it out on the front line trooper? Send a memo with new guidelines and move on. Beyond that firing someone just days before their stock getting vested, is vengeful and reeks of anti-employee practices, unless the crime is grave.

Actions done with good intentions should not end up like this.

I guess a lot of people felt the "crime" here ended up being not so much what was done, but what became a publicity issue.

A lot of folks have already prior to this noted a seeming discrepancy between Tesla's public position on discounts and their actual discount policy on brand new inventory.

It also seems from this disclosure, if accurate, that Tesla certainly incetivizes its sales force, which puts to rest another old myth that this would be different to dealerships?

It isn't about a counterfactual on what happened. Its about ethically breaking a story and a journalist's responsibility to reach out to people in the story to confirm veracity and gain a greater contextual understanding to ensure the accuracy of what is being reported. Fred could've only known the truth had he reached out to Aaron. He did not.

IMO Electrek's seeming pro-Tesla bias would explain their inability to tackle negative angles comprehensively, or at times, even timely.

You also got to remember what Elon (or Tesla) said about the firings from not too long ago. They hire some of the best people, and still fire some because they need people who are more skilled than those who work at competing companies. This guy does seem like he was a great employee, hence why he was even hired. However, his actions do not seem any different from someone who would work elsewhere. I think that is the reasoning for validating this firing. In other words, he could had handled it better to prevent the bad publicity. Not that it makes it a bad employee, just not good enough for what Tesla needs. He was good enough to be hired, perhaps not good enough to stay long term.

I'm not trying to sound mean; I am just trying to make sense of this without just blaming Tesla for being "bad". I agree it is important to treat employees well, but there is good (non greedy) reason for not wanting the employee union.

...It isn't about a counterfactual on what happened...

I agree that with current Tesla culture, the e-mail's author was toast no matter how correct the e-mail was, how the wordings were:

Original e-mail:
"We are offering showroom incentives up to $30,000 off the original configuration price."

I think Tesla wants him to use these words instead:

We are offering ***pricing adjustment*** up to $30,000 off the original configuration price ***for test drive vehicles, service loaners, cars that had been damaged and then repaired, or old models, as these cars have wear and tear, mileage, or discontinued features.***

It's just social norms that in a wedding, if you don't want to be fired as a Bridesmaid, you should not look better than the Bride!

I think the e-mail's author has generated more non-customized model sales which somehow has embarrassed Tesla's customized sales.

I don't know how you guys place any blame on the TMC poster, TMC or Electrek.

If a journalist did a story that involved me, without asking me for my comments and position, I would place a ton of blame on that journalist and his publication. It's unfair and goes against the basic principles of ethical journalism, at least in my view. That's why reputable journalists and publications always make an attempt to contact the person at the center of the story, unless there are compelling reasons not to do so. That's also why if the person doesn't comment, or return calls, you will see "Calls to John Doe for his comments were not returned." Or "John Doe was contacted but refused to comment on this story." That way the reader knows the journalist was doing a fair and balanced story, which is his/her job -- unless it's an opinion piece -- then it's not journalism. If you want to do one-sided hit pieces then you can't call yourself a journalist:

Analysis | Sean Hannity now claims to be a journalist. He should be judged as such.

I don't know exactly what happened here so my comments are made in general.

It also seems from this disclosure, if accurate, that Tesla certainly incetivizes its sales force, which puts to rest another old myth that this would be different to dealerships?

If they do, at least they don't run out the door after me, and call me constantly after looking at a new vehicle, like traditional dealers do.

I'm not trying to sound mean; I am just trying to make sense of this without just blaming Tesla for being "bad".

I thought the same thing. Employees make mistakes all the time and employers usually don't fire them over it since it's hard to find good employees, especially these days with the low unemployment rate. But mistakes are often used as a reason, since it's hard to fire someone over a personality conflict, for instance, or other issues. Also, it's not good to post gripes with prior employers on the net even if you didn't get a chance to tell your side of the story. You can do that with family, friends, colleges, and prospective employers, but the laundry, whether dirty or clean, should stay in the laundry room and not be aired in public. Prospective employers don't like controversy, even if you're in the right, and everyone searches the net these days as part of the hiring process.

Last edited:
they do, at least they don't run out the door after me, and call me constantly after looking at a new vehicle, like traditional dealers do.

Perhaps this is regional. I've probably gotten a lot more sales email from Tesla than I ever got from any dealership in my life - combined.

Granted, Tesla sends a lot of mass email. Like ironically in this story. :)