Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Follow up to employee termination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You also got to remember what Elon (or Tesla) said about the firings from not too long ago. They hire some of the best people, and still fire some because they need people who are more skilled than those who work at competing companies. This guy does seem like he was a great employee, hence why he was even hired. However, his actions do not seem any different from someone who would work elsewhere. I think that is the reasoning for validating this firing. In other words, he could had handled it better to prevent the bad publicity. Not that it makes it a bad employee, just not good enough for what Tesla needs. He was good enough to be hired, perhaps not good enough to stay long term.

I'm not trying to sound mean; I am just trying to make sense of this without just blaming Tesla for being "bad". I agree it is important to treat employees well, but there is good (non greedy) reason for not wanting the employee union.

But, of course we later learned that those firings weren't performance based on at all. It does sound good, but at the end up of the day it was bullocks. A way of masking the true intention of the firings.

The firing is also inconsistent with Elon's main motto of taking chances. In fact I'd say that his ability to takes chances is what makes him a great human being.

So why doesn't he have some allowance for a Sales person to make a mistake or two? Was there anything so massively wrong about the emails that dictated termination? Did he accidently send an email saying most Tesla customers were morons? Did he spread false information in his email?

What did the OP really do wrong? Word choice? Really?

Kinda funny to fire a Sales guy for word choice when Elon himself went with Autopilot to describe a Level 2 assist package.

It also seems a bit odd to fire a Sales guy for some emails when you're being sued because Tesla can't even get it's factory workers to treat each other with respect. Should I even mention what Elon said about that one?

"responsible journalist" gets my vote as the oxymoron that pretty much defines 2017...

That's a ridiculous statement to make... Journalism is the flashlight that illuminates the dark and it's this kind of attitude that has allowed people like President Trump to push this grossly irresponsible "fake news" crap.

Jeff

As you pointed out, it's Elon's motto for Elon to take chance with his money - where does it say he encourages others to do the same on his dime?
I think more than a few people will take issue with what constitutes as his money.

In fact I think people give him money to take chances with. I know I certainly did when I bought my Tesla. It also wasn't just to him, but to Tesla for what it stood for.

So I clearly regard this firing as a mistake from everything I know about it. Where the OP was just the fall guy for mistakes that Tesla as a whole made.

Even before this entire thing went down there was confusion over the end of quarter "discounts" within this thread.

The firing is also inconsistent with Elon's main motto of taking chances. In fact I'd say that his ability to takes chances is what makes him a great human being.

As you pointed out, it's Elon's motto for Elon to take chance with his money - where does it say he encourages others to do the same on his dime?

Tesla is a company with over 30k employees, and along with that comes organizational bureaucracy. Not everyone in the Tesla organization is going to act like Elon, so it does not surprise me that some layers of management went into what appears to be CYA mode once Electrek published its story on the 100D/P100D inventory model pricing.

I think it is a shame that Tesla management decided to fire an employee who was dedicated to the mission and showing initiative to bring in business.

Many years ago, I was swept up in a mass firing. My team was berated for a disaster that we didn't cause, and every last one of us was shown the door. In less than 3 weeks I had a new job and moved on. It looks like Aaron has done the same, and I commend him for his resilience.

Tesla is a company with over 30k employees, and along with that comes organizational bureaucracy. Not everyone in the Tesla organization is going to act like Elon, so it does not surprise me that some layers of management went into what appears to be CYA mode once Electrek published its story on the 100D/P100D inventory model pricing.

I think it is a shame that Tesla management decided to fire an employee who was dedicated to the mission and showing initiative to bring in business.

Many years ago, I was swept up in a mass firing. My team was berated for a disaster that we didn't cause, and every last one of us was shown the door. In less than 3 weeks I had a new job and moved on. It looks like Aaron has done the same, and I commend him for his resilience.
I was going to argue in favor of the Japanese way of blaming the system, and not the individual. But, when I went to look for references I just kept running into this. So hopefully Tesla doesn't start doing this.

Layoffs Taboo, Japan Workers Are Sent to the Boredom Room

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I think Elon risks everyone's money. That his nature and so far he's stayed mostly on the genius side of the genius / loony line. He has me concerned that he's drifting lately but hopefully not.
But, we all know it's going to crash with the whole FSD debacle.

He's already accepted that he has egg on his face.

I do remain hopeful that it's going to be a soft landing.

As far as whether this is Tesla’s fault or not, you have to remember that companies make mistakes all the time. Hiring the wrong person and firing the wrong person probably happens on a weekly basis in a large company. It’s unfortunate, but no company is anywhere near perfect. Just move on when these things happen. Hopefully learn something along the way.

BTW, I'm totally serious when I say I've never, ever been as acutely aware of quarterly sales pressures when buying a car, than with Tesla. I have never felt that with any other brand or dealership.
Probably a result of Tesla only reporting deliveries quarterly as opposed to most other manufactures reporting monthly. Would you say the pressure was more, less than, or about the same as three times the month end pressure from others?:D

Quite right. If Electrek is going to break news stories before everyone else (as opposed to reposting excerpts from other news sources) then they should act like a real journalist, and gather as much first person facts as is reasonable. Had they done so, it is possible their story wouldn’t have triggered Tesla into firing the sales person. Although it may not seem so these days, there are professional standards for true journalism.
Part of the problem with the internet is that the line between blogging sites and actual journalists is far more hazy than it should be. If bloggers want to be journalists they need to consistently demonstrate the behaviors that professional journalists are supposed to.

A poster handing on the wall in one of my Client's offices:
"Failure is an Option here. If things are not failing, you are not innovating enough"
-- Elon Musk

Another Client told me a story about a account manager who made a huge mistake. And the Manager went in to tender their resignation due to the costly mistake, figuring he deserved to be fired.
The Client declined the resignation, and said: "Why would I fire you for making a $XXX,XXX mistake? I figured that is part of your education. I now have that much invested in you."

It takes a BIG person or organization to exhibit forgiveness and empathy, regardless of the mistake (or an action viewed as a mistake).